U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 AM

608 posts, read 830,863 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for noticing what has transpired over the last year and a half. I am a Wisconsin resident and I am one of those "silent majority" that people talk about. I voted for the presidential races in 2004 and 2008 and those two times are the only times I have voted. I didn't vote in the last governor race.

So you might be asking yourself what drove me to the poll this week? For a few simple reasons - balanced a budget without racing taxes, property taxes on average went down for the first time in a very long time, schools were able to cut expenses by being able to shop around for their healthcare coverage, and lastly how the radicals acted.

I get turned off by people who foam at the mouth while pointing a finger and telling us how we have to think, call our ELECTED officials evil names, treated the disabled people like they are worth as much as dust (remember the speech where they stood in front of the disabled people), the public sector unions dictating public policy, and the constant following of protesting no matter the location that our ELECTED official was at for any given day.

My best friend voted for the first time in his life this week and he is in his 20s. He was turned off by the lefties for the same reasons I was.

Now this morning I see Michigan democrats are stopping the recall efforts on their governor. The vote I casted this week I know meant a lot so I let my voice be heard.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 07:57 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,323,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
See? You just did it again. You won and you still don't stop. Walker spent 8 to 1 and you won. Yet you call them "orange shirts" and ponder whether they will be able to "work together"? What you really mean is, "Will they do everything we tell them to. Will 47% of the state now bow down to the 53% and smile and say thank you while we punch them in the face?" Your very response does not bode well for Wisconsin. Sounds like the next two years will not be good for the state at all.
Nice job of cutting and pasting. You took the rest of my message out where I said I wasn't confident things would change. Nowhere did I say "will they do everything we tell them to." No, that is not what I "really mean". Not at all. By change I mean exactly what I said. The two sides have not gotten along so far, and I doubt that will happen now. And the only "punching in the face" has been done by union supporters. There has been beer dumped on legislators' heads, damage done to the capitol building, endless demonstrations where people with different opinions were shouted down, including a group of special needs people. It has been ugly here. I hope it will change, but I'm not so sure it will. THAT is exactly what I mean. The only thing I agree with in your post is that the next two years may not be good for the state. But don't attempt to tell me what I "really mean". Because you're entirely wrong.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 AM
mlb

4,618 posts, read 3,673,427 times
Quote:
As someone who works in that industry, I can tell you that the Googles and Facebooks are never going to be interested in Wisconsin because of where it is located, the cultural environment and the lack of educated workers. And if the few educated workers Wisconsin has left leave, you'll only be worse off. A state full of haves (don't want to pay taxes), have-nots (no money to pay taxes) and retired people on Social Security. Good luck growing the state with that.
You're kidding, right?

Probably the best educated population in the country in Madison and Milwaukee.

Not only that - my BIL - who was RECRUITED from the UW-Madison Engineering school by Hewlett Packard in 1968 - would travel ON A YEARLY BASIS back to Madison to recruit engineers to work in Silicon Valley. Why? Because no where else could they find as well an educated worker.

Then after 34 years of service? Lovely Carly fiorina FIRED all the engineers in Research and Development .... and HP has gone downhill from there.

There's your lovely Republican right to work policies....

Last edited by mlb; 06-07-2012 at 08:15 AM..

Old 06-07-2012, 08:15 AM

13,893 posts, read 12,598,027 times
Quote:
So that's what you get from a point about education in Wisconsin? I'm not surprised. Your governor doesn't even have a college degree and you voted for him twice. Clearly education is not a priority for you.
Psssssssssssssssttttttttttttttttt: College degrees these days are walking around unemployed.

It has never been and never will be the case where education makes one smarter by virtue of a diploma. Smarts comes from within. It's called DESIRE. Desire to learn and then apply what's been learned. Just thought you'd like to know. And feel free to now consider yourself a little better educated.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 AM

21,183 posts, read 13,585,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Psssssssssssssssttttttttttttttttt: College degrees these days are walking around unemployed.

It has never been and never will be the case where education makes one smarter by virtue of a diploma. Smarts comes from within. It's called DESIRE. Desire to learn and then apply what's been learned. Just thought you'd like to know. And feel free to now consider yourself a little better educated.
Coming from the old guy on retirement that lived the baby boom years benefiting from pensions and full Social Security now voting for the party that will do everything they can to defund Medicare and Social Security for the generation that follows even though we have paid the maximum into the fund our entire working lives. Enjoy that juicy pension and Social Security. The younger generations are going to really come to dislike you for what you enjoyed then did to them but you won't care at all because "you got yours". You'll rationalize it by saying you worked "harder" and oh yes, "desired it more". It's a lie of course but that won't matter because you're set. You'll be gone before the history books are written that tell the story to the younger generations.

As for smarts "coming from within", there was a time that worked - in your generation. Let's see how Wisconsin fares if the educated ditch the state for better opportunities and your state is left with a lot of rich Republicans and poor everything else.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 AM
mlb

4,618 posts, read 3,673,427 times
As a Madison native - educated at UW Madison....and now working in a RIGHT TO FIRE state (Utah).... I have an interesting perspective.

Democracy lost this week in Wisconsin. Hearing that most of the voters were brainwashed from November to March via the Koch-bought airwaves... they were sunk by money - and a lack of critical thinking skills. Jealousy too. Well guess what? After they come after the govt workers? They will come after YOU.

I have a government job here. They've already cut the state pension program - into Tiers. If you're lucky enough to be Tier 1 (LIKE MOST OF THE STATE LEGISLATORS) - your bennies do not change. If you're hired after July 2010 - you're sunk. Why be a public servant - and take a horrible barely surviveable salary - with nothing to benefit at the end of 30 years - if they're going to treat you like crap?

It's a race to the bottom.

And yearly raises? We have Divide and Conquer here as well. Why give govt workers COLAs and raises? neighbors of legislators who worked in the private sector - who ran their employees out on a rail because they so poorly managed their businesses - are COMPLAINING... it's pure jealousy.

YOU CHOSE to work in the private sector. The private sector TOOK ADVANTAGE OF YOU. How is that MY problem?

That's what Right To Work is all about. Employees BE DAMNED. We can fire you for any reason under the sun - and not be held accountable. Get Ready Wisconsin.

Oh - and we can hire only people we like, aka are of our same "RELIGION", Party, Etc. Etc..... and NOT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE.

Get Ready Wisconsin.

Personally? I'm waiting for the Walker PerP Walk. I want his cronies to sing like CANARIES. I want his ass OUT.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
You're kidding, right?

Probably the best educated population in the country in Madison and Milwaukee.
Milwaukee and Madison being the best educated in the country is incredibly debatable but at the end of the day, those that are best educated will get offers to other companies that choose other states. You don't see a lot of high tech choosing Wisconsin, but those that are smart enough in Wisconsin will be cherry-picked and will leave the state for better futures while the rest of you attack each other. You've got a war between the 53% vs. the 47% which wins the vote but doesn't change the anger and resentment left over.

Saying that companies come to Wisconsin "every year" is not a big deal at all. They go to most colleges; that is not remotely unique to Wisconsin and says nothing about the caliber of anything.

Last edited by Seacove; 06-07-2012 at 08:47 AM..

Old 06-07-2012, 08:36 AM

8,279 posts, read 10,653,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
That is what this country needs politicians who will take the bull by the horns an move foward. We want change an an the good folks of Wisconsin showed it for a 2nd time at the poles. It starts with Wisconsin's victory.

The Tea Party has taken a seat in New Mexico an sent Dick Luger of Indiana packing. God Bless The USA!!

"...showed it for the 2nd time at the poles.."

Another stunning example of Tea Party educational levels..

What else would you expect when they worship an ill-informed dunce like Sarah Palin?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post

It's a race to the bottom.
They won't see that for a long time and the GOP is counting on that. First you kill the unions so the private sector doesn't have to compete with that. Then you start chopping off the benefits. Then you go after the pay. At some point you start killing off minimum wage because if you pay a high schooler 7.00 an hour, there will always be a retiree that will take 6.00 an hour. Then the parents are having to compete with that. A race to the bottom. Wisconsin fell for it hook line and sinker.

It's sad and I hope I never see the rancor in my state that I've watched in Wisconsin. The comments on articles in your Milwaukee JSOnline paper were just what I expected. The vote is over and they are still furious at each other. Walker brought all that to you with the divide and conquer strategy and it will be a long time before you remember what your state used to be.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
"...showed it for the 2nd time at the poles.."

Another stunning example of Tea Party educational levels..

What else would you expect when they worship an ill-informed dunce like Sarah Palin?
I noticed that too. He will look at that and say "What's wrong?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin