Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:10 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,557,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I've driven quite a bit in Texas. I've driven quite a bit in Wisconsin. An 85mph speed limit would only catch up to what people are already doing. An 85mph speed limit would mean certain 100mph drivers. Going that fast in the average car (minivan.. suv...pickup) with the average driver is frightening. Very few drive autobahn-worthy BMW's and the like or have the skills to drive that fast. We would need to significantly ramp up our driver education programs and require stringent safety inspections.

Who said everybody must drive the posted maximum limit? You know, you are allowed to driver slower in the right lane. That's how the rest of the world does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
people go 85 mph on rush hour in that area already.. I think raising it to maybe 70 is good enough for now. Having it lower benefits in that it keeps semis going slower (usually)

I'd rather they spend money on roads vs public transit but that's me, I prefer the freedom of a car. When they were repaving I 90/94 from the Dells they should have made it 3 lanes each way all the way to where 90 and 94 split off.... in particular around the Dells and south they could really use the 3 lanes.

Speed limit is 75 on our interstates and the average speed is about 82, but it's all flat and straight. I don't personally think people need to be going 90-100 or more but meh, I'm also in favor of more personal freedoms so if they wanted to raise the limits on rural interstates I'm not going to scream against it.

Speed limits are SUPPOSED to be set based on measured 85th percentile vehicle speeds, not the whims of politicians or police.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjeepr View Post

We all know the "speed kills" nonsense is just that - nonsense. Where is the bloodbath that was supposed to occur when speed limits were raised above 55?

Old 06-10-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Rural Wisconsin interstates are pretty busy compared to Montana

No busier than European highways with higher speed limits.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:04 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,409,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
No busier than European highways with higher speed limits.
Thats true but they actually know how to drive because here in America its way too easy to get a drivers license (its kind of scary). in Europe they teach you to stay out of the passing lane unless if you are only passing

In Wisconsin and anywhere else you will see someone hogging traffic in the passing lane and people just cruising down the passing lane and not passing anyone.

notice most of the good driving skills

A32 Meppel - Heerenveen, NL - YouTube

I'd love to see more of this

Cop Screws with Slow Driver in the Fast Lane - YouTube

Old 06-10-2012, 08:24 PM

If the cops in Wisconsin and in the other 49 states would put away the radar guns and actually enforce the other rules of the road, our freeways would flow much better. But we gotta get that revenue generation from those speeding tickets. Ya know, speed kills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin