Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 AM

607 posts, read 978,525 times

Advertisements

For the love of God, get a damn job before moving. I don't give a flying #$%^ if it pays $8/hr. I have a hard enough time keeping myself in check from lecturing those overweight young 20s folks with their morning coffee purchases with their food stamp at the local Kwick Trip store.

I work 50 to 80 hours a week and make way over six figures (all privately earned, no public funds) and you want to just drive up the Interstate and ask for food stamps? Is that your dream in life?

Old 06-19-2012, 02:55 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"Proof" as in what? As in "I personally don't know anyone who was forced to place children in foster care because of welfare reforms?"
This kind of proof?
Because if not, you could find this on-line for example in few minutes -

"While it is too early to measure definitively, there are some unsettling early signs. In Wisconsin — which embarked on welfare reform early and avidly — 5 percent of former welfare recipients, or one in 20, reported being forced to abandon their children. In San Diego County, foster care placements doubled after the new welfare law took effect. When researchers interviewed San Diego families who had become homeless after losing their benefits, 18 percent said their children subsequently went into foster care.
Nationwide, the number of children in foster care is rising, even in a period of overall economic prosperity — to 520,000 at last count, 20,000 more than a year before."

Is welfare reform sending more kids to foster care? - Newt Gingrich - Salon.com

This is just a glimpse in welfare reforms in Wisconsin, (that was a pioneer state in these reforms ( they took place what? around 1996-1997?)), in one county. Few years ago there was much more detailed information on it, and I don't mean on sites that were trumpeting "success," but sites with research that was showing what was really behind this *success.*
That's B.S. I don't believe that for a minute. 5% "reported". To who? Rubbish.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
That's B.S. I don't believe that for a minute. 5% "reported". To who? Rubbish.
Oh my... Why so much anger?
I understand that truth might not be very palatable, but it doesn't hurt to have it for breakfast from time to time.
All these AFDC recipients had case workers in local DHS office, so of course they had to report the outcome/circumstances when their case(s) were closed. So data was available back then for those who were interested.
And of course when everything was said and done, Tommy Thompson, as the true hero of those reforms was promoted by Mr. Bush as US secretary of Health and Human Services.

Tommy Thompson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The rest is history.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 AM

"Anger"?? Calling out someone listing b.s. as truth is hardly anger. "Data"? Again, you're quoting "someone" who "reported" something to "someone" in 1999. I'm merely calling you out for quoting rubbish as truth.
Unlike you, I not only live in Wisconsin, but was dealing with a lot of AFDC clients in 1999 and Tommy Thompson's new W-2 program was seen by those of us who were actually living here at that time and working with W-2 clients were very happy with the program. And no one in any office I had contact with ever said what you're saying happened. Do you know how hard it is to take children from their parents? They don't take kids away from abusive parents, they sure as heck never took kids away from parents because they were poor. So stop saying such stupid things about our state's hard-working social workers.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
"Anger"?? Calling out someone listing b.s. as truth is hardly anger. "Data"? Again, you're quoting "someone" who "reported" something to "someone" in 1999. I'm merely calling you out for quoting rubbish as truth.
Unlike you, I not only live in Wisconsin, but was dealing with a lot of AFDC clients in 1999 and Tommy Thompson's new W-2 program was seen by those of us who were actually living here at that time and working with W-2 clients were very happy with the program. And no one in any office I had contact with ever said what you're saying happened. Do you know how hard it is to take children from their parents? They don't take kids away from abusive parents, they sure as heck never took kids away from parents because they were poor. So stop saying such stupid things about our state's hard-working social workers.
Just because YOU don't know, that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
If YOU "were happy" with the program, that doesn't mean EVERYONE was ( and it's acknowledged nationwide, that there were BIG problems with that program, in terms of absence of public transportation for those who couldn't afford a car to find a job, in terms of day care, that was not available during hours when job was "available" - just to name a few. So what do you think happened to those parents who got in those circumstances? You think that state said - well, it's true, our system of public transportation is not adequate for job search without a car, or the jobs that are available out there are not suitable for a single parents because of shifts/hours? Or the job would be perfect for the recipient ( in terms of hours/location,) but it's NOT UP TO A STATE to give that job to an AFDC recipient, but it's up to EMPLOYER to decide, not a state after all. It's not Soviet Union, you know, that could exist without welfare checks, having tonnes of working single mothers. ( Oh, by the way that very Tommy Thompson went to Russia, the country where the birth rate already plummeted to the floor because of economic hardship, to advise after his "success." )
So don't tell fairy-tales ( I am not going to stoop on your level and call it otherwise.)

PS. It might be "hard" to take children away from their parents (although I'd attest otherwise, once child protective services become involved,) - it's much easier to squeeze parents, ( single parents in particular) that they would do it *voluntarily.*

Last edited by erasure; 06-20-2012 at 11:40 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 02:01 PM

I am through talking to you. You know nothing about our state, nor do you know the level of my involvement in these type of government programs, and yes, at the state level, in those days. So continue to spout your rubbish if you will, as I am sure all those reading it realize as well as I do you're full of crap.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:44 PM

607 posts, read 978,525 times
I am sure you two can take to the street with your signs and battle it out while the OP seeks food stamps while the rest earn their income and ability to buy food.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
I am sure you two can take to the street with your signs and battle it out
I have no interest, people are reading this thread and they can make their own conclusions.
Good enough for me.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:56 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Just passing through here but have to say.
GET A JOB, OP.
Why do you feel it's okay to place such a responsibility on your friend?
He/she does not deserve that, and you both will likely end up resenting each other.
Would you be proud to introduce a friend/freeloader who was living at your house if you had a great job and supported yourself, but let someone move in who was on food stamps? How do you think that will go over when you're introduced to his/her friends? Not good.
Get a life of your own. Stay where you are.
Get a job and face your responsibilities. Be your own best friend.
Growing up is a good thing.
good luck.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:40 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Just passing through here but have to say.
GET A JOB, OP.
Why do you feel it's okay to place such a responsibility on your friend?
He/she does not deserve that, and you both will likely end up resenting each other.
Would you be proud to introduce a friend/freeloader who was living at your house if you had a great job and supported yourself, but let someone move in who was on food stamps? How do you think that will go over when you're introduced to his/her friends? Not good.
Get a life of your own. Stay where you are.
Get a job and face your responsibilities. Be your own best friend.
Growing up is a good thing.
good luck.

This has to be the best reply in the whole whole thread. I agree, you get laid off back home, work 2 jobs even at fast food to build up a nest egg. Then further down the road you can move when you have some money put away. Saving money isn't all that hard, you just need to adjust your mindset!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin