Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 23,245 times

Advertisements

I've been to Lake Geneva two times but and only in the fall season. I work for a small company in Chicago and they are considering moving the business to Lake Geneva. I probably would move there but I think it would be expensive to buy a condo/small house there and then there is the tourist situation. It is a very pretty area and has a nice downtown. Anyone have opinions on life there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 29,848 times
Lake Geneva living is nice. I don't think the tourists would be an issue at all, but that is JMO.

Alternatives to living IN the actual area would be to look in Burlington, Waterford (roughly 15 -20 minute drive from either to LG - Burlington has very NICE but cheaper housing - houses are plentiful on the market right now) and it is a small town that offers well known restaurant chains, stores as well as the quaintness of being in the middle of rural farmland.

Also look into Delavan and East Troy. Again, affordable housing abounds AND still has nice small town feeling.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:55 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdrizzle View Post
I've been to Lake Geneva two times but and only in the fall season. I work for a small company in Chicago and they are considering moving the business to Lake Geneva. I probably would move there but I think it would be expensive to buy a condo/small house there and then there is the tourist situation. It is a very pretty area and has a nice downtown. Anyone have opinions on life there?
Check out Elkhorn. It's a nice small town about 15 minutes from Lake Geneva. It has a cute downtown area and a lot of different housing options. We lived there for 3 years and really liked it.
Elkhorn Area Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Center welcomes you to our website
Lake Geneva is very pretty, but it can be extremely difficult to drive thru the downtown area in the summer with all the tourists.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:34 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,281 times
Here are a few pictures of Lake Geneva
Attached Thumbnails
Living in Lake Geneva - What is it like?-dock.jpg   Living in Lake Geneva - What is it like?-fountain.jpg   Living in Lake Geneva - What is it like?-lake-geneva.jpg   Living in Lake Geneva - What is it like?-lake.jpg  

Old 10-13-2007, 01:47 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
Here are a few pictures of Lake Geneva
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for posting them! We were visiting Lake Geneva in May. We took the mansion boat tour on the lake. It was beautiful! We lived in that area for 20 years, and never got around to doing the touristy stuff.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:49 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
Although I live near Lake Geneva, I haven't really kept up with house values, etc. there. What I remember most about it, from when I was young, is that Lake Geneva was where the mansions were and Fontana was where all the people who WORKED in the mansions lived. Don't know if it is still that way?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 23,336 times
Moving to Wisconsin in about a month. Still confused about where to live- We have 2 kids. I am loving Elkhorn because of the small town feel and the good schools, but I"m not seeing much properties for rent. Do you know of other areas close to Lake Geneva that has the feeling of Elkhorn and have good schools?

Old 09-05-2010, 07:05 PM

99 posts, read 281,672 times
We live in Twin Lakes, which is about 15 minutes east of Lake Geneva. It's a small community - about 6000 people - built around the 2 lakes. Alot of the residents moved here from Illinois to avoid the high taxes and they still commute to Chicago for work. The school (Lakewood) is pretty good - they have had a change in administration and have made major upgrades to both the school and curriculum. There is also School Choice if you aren't happy with Lakewood - there are several schools just a short distance from TL that are very good, such as Randall, Wheatland, Trevor. I'm sorry I can't compare TL to Elkhorn but I have only driven through Elkhorn once and you are right - it is a very pretty town.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:39 AM

300 posts, read 250,267 times
I work in Lake Geneva, and live in Delavan. Much better value for your housing dollar to be found in Delavan or Elkhorn as opposed to Lake Geneva.

Be forewarned, the cops around here have nothing to do and need to raise revenue for the corrupt county, so they will ticket you for anything and everything they can.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:08 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Check out Elkhorn. It's a nice small town about 15 minutes from Lake Geneva. It has a cute downtown area and a lot of different housing options. We lived there for 3 years and really liked it.
Elkhorn Area Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Center welcomes you to our website
Lake Geneva is very pretty, but it can be extremely difficult to drive thru the downtown area in the summer with all the tourists.
I lived in Elkhorn for 17 years ... consider it "home". Where in Elkhorn, if I may ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin