U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 711 times

Advertisements

Im transfering to UW-L after spending my freshman year at a different school. I would like to know what the social scene is like there for a student under 21?
Thank You Colin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 11:19 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,790,128 times
In a word, lively. My younger kid graduated from UW-L, and it took him 7 1/2 years to do so because he had so much fun along the way.

I know the university doesn't require non-freshmen to live in the dorms, but I do think that a really good way to get absorbed into the university community is to live for at least one year in a dormitory. The RAs go to pretty considerable lengths to get students out mingling, having fun, getting involved and so on, and it's just an excellent way to immerse yourself in the academic community. Certainly you can meet people and make friends while living in an apartment, but you're likely to have fewer contacts, hence fewer opportunities to find people you really click with.

The other thing I'd strongly encourage you to do is to look up the listing of all the different student groups that have a chapter on campus, and pick at least one to try out. Ten years ago, they had everything from Campus Crusade for Christ to the Foam Fighters, who spent Saturday afternoons whacking each other with foam swords, and no matter what a person's interests were, they could find at least one group of like-minded individuals. That's an excellent way to get an introduction into the university's social life.

Good luck in both your academic career and in having fun while you're learning! Just try not to have TOO much fun.... I most assuredly do NOT recommend the 7 1/2-year plan; those student loan payments are killers after that long.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin