Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:04 PM

14 posts, read 26,778 times

Advertisements

We hav been lookin at different houses in different areas of Wisconsin but I've noticed that all the houses we like hav no fences.. How do u keep your kids and pets from wandering off or for that matter animals or people from roaming into ur yard... Are thy not allowed? I wuld like a fenced in yard... How do u keep critters out? This worries me? Especially northern Wisconsin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Not sure where you're moving from, but I moved from Wisconsin to Texas and had the opposite experience. When looking at homes in Texas, and seeing that every backyard had a fence, I wondered what everyone was trying to keep out!

Here in Texas, Fences go on the property line and both owners share responsibility for them. In the midwest, local zoning codes require fences to be set back from the property line a few feet.

Since you mentioned Northern Wisconsin, an area that gets mass quantities of snow, I would imagine that snow drifts are a factor there. Fences cause snow drifts to pile up.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 PM

14 posts, read 26,778 times
Wer from California desert and its just what wer usto my kid and dog can play in our backyard and I kno that thr not goin anywhere... Wer lookin around Sawyer... So thy r permitted just not common

Old 08-12-2012, 09:47 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,844 times
I like the privacy of fences, but live deep in the stix so no worry.
It's really a regional thing. Good neighborhoods generally have good neighbors, and they tend to look out for each other.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
I've noticed far fewer fenced yards in Wisconsin than other places I've lived. They're certainly allowed unless you come across some really strict HOA or something. Could be a snow thing, I don't know.
In the south where I lived, everybody had tall wooden fences. A little further north, chain-link fences were more common. Here, hardly anything at all. A few people have fences that appear to just keep dogs and children close by, certainly not for privacy. If people want privacy, I've noticed tall bushes and trees seem to be used sometimes for that purpose. There are tall wooden fences, but they're rare.
Just a theory, but it might be a cultural thing. I can't speak for all of Wisconsin, but where I live, people are far more neighborly than in any other place I've known. Not really in a nosy way that I can tell, but they don't seem too uptight about boundaries. People generally don't wonder around in your yard for no reason, however.
It's refreshing.
In another part of the country we lived, a dog we were taking care of wondered off into the neighbors front yard, sniffed around a little and came back. The "neighbor" about came unglued over that. Not everyone there was like that and not everyone in WI is totally laid back, but on average I just don't see those things being as much of an issue.

Last edited by northbound74; 08-12-2012 at 10:07 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 08:38 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
I think that amounts to a personality disorder when a person comes unglued over silly little things like that. I mention that because my grandmother's neighbor does the same thing, and there's a drought, their lawn is dead and brown anyways. I suppose if the dog came to relive itself on my lawn on a daily basis maybe I'd start to have a talk with the owner....

Interesting observation, I actually think fences would be nice to have but nobody around here or in WI has ever used them so I never knew they were used extensively.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:44 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
fences where we lived for years (in Madison area) almost were non-existent especially in newer neighborhoods. We move to SC, and dang near everyone has a fence. And now so do we. It's great to be able to let the dog run without hanging on to a leash, but down here anyway many use fences as a way to also let their dogs out.... for long periods... like all day..... but guess that could be another discussion

Old 08-13-2012, 03:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Many areas of the country don't have fences. Most of the midwest is that way. YEs, In Texas and Oklahoma it seems like everyone does, but I hate it. In the first place, it feels clautraphobic. In the second place, I also hate it because people leave their dogs out all day and night, barking at all hours of the day and night with no consideration to their neighbors. Drives us crazy. We can't wait to move. Why does everyone here have to have a dog?? Go for a walk and every other house has some yappy annoying ankle biter barking as you pass by.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:19 PM

390 posts, read 265,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casalopez View Post
We hav been lookin at different houses in different areas of Wisconsin but I've noticed that all the houses we like hav no fences.. How do u keep your kids and pets from wandering off or for that matter animals or people from roaming into ur yard... Are thy not allowed? I wuld like a fenced in yard... How do u keep critters out? This worries me? Especially northern Wisconsin...
This isn't twitter, there's no character limit, so please feel free to type like an adult and use the entire word.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:10 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
You have to check with whatever municipality that you're considering. You can have fences, but a lot of areas don't need them because there is so much natural vegetation that divides property, unlike other areas of the country.

Also, many other areas of the country have fences because lots are smaller, and/or people have pools. I sure don't want to look over at some tub-o-goo blubbering into the pool next door.

If "U" are afraid of getting critters in "ur" yard, northern Wisconsin is not the place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin