Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,990 times

Advertisements

My husband is retiring soon and we were thinking about Wisconsin. We have family in Green Bay and really like
it there. Have visited Wisconsin quite a few times. Where would you suggest living in Wisconsin for retires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 01:57 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
What is your housing budget and what are your interests?

Old 09-12-2012, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,990 times
We were looking to probably buy condo instead of house, and husband likes war museum lots of history. We like Manitowic, but looking other places as well.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:13 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Marketplace web page lists WI as one of top 10 worst states for retirees from a money angle. High taxation state.
Of course money is only one consideration.

I have an Aunt and Uncle that moved from Hartford WI to Antioch IL to save on pension taxation yet still be close to WI activities.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 PM

328 posts, read 654,933 times
Not GB.....La Crosse area...you're close to a bunch of neat small towns, and the best landscapes the state has to offer. Its quiet and plenty of affordable housing out that way too....Even though GB is a pretty decent location, close to Door County, Milwaukee and Madison arent terrible distances, Fox Valley is close - I still pick the La Crosse region. Its a majestic place, for me anyways.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:21 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Anywhere, it's all good. La Crosse is good, Madison area, Ozaukee and Sheboygan counties, Door County, whatever.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:57 AM

483 posts, read 665,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
I have an Aunt and Uncle that moved from Hartford WI to Antioch IL to save on pension taxation yet still be close to WI activities.
Assuming your aunt and uncle own a home, you should ask them how they like the property taxes in Lake County, Illinois. I live right next to Antioch and my property taxes are double what they were in Wisconsin. And let's not even talk about income taxes, tolls, etc.

As for the OP's question, as pointed out earlier, Wisconsin is not a retirement haven. Having been born in Milwaukee and lived there for the majority of my life, as much as I would love to retire there, I can't see it happening due to the taxes (not as bad as Illinois, but still bad), weather, etc. Although Green Bay would be an attractive option, especially considering my city-data member name...

Old 09-16-2012, 01:54 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
Assuming your aunt and uncle own a home, you should ask them how they like the property taxes in Lake County, Illinois. I live right next to Antioch and my property taxes are double what they were in Wisconsin. And let's not even talk about income taxes, tolls, etc.

As for the OP's question, as pointed out earlier, Wisconsin is not a retirement haven. Having been born in Milwaukee and lived there for the majority of my life, as much as I would love to retire there, I can't see it happening due to the taxes (not as bad as Illinois, but still bad), weather, etc. Although Green Bay would be an attractive option, especially considering my city-data member name...
If you like rural areas you can find plenty of affordable properties in rural WI away from the lakes as the demand is low. It is the RRR (resort/retiree/recreation) areas that are always going to be much more expensive in terms of home prices and taxes, particularly lake areas in Oneida, Vilas, and Sawyer counties.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:43 PM

39 posts, read 109,631 times
Latest issue of AARP magazine lists Eau Claire, WI as one of the top cities to live for $100 or less per day. Along with Grand Junction, CO (where I live within 12 miles).

After living out here since retirement in Western CO for 20 years now we are thinking of moving back to the Midwest (that is where we came from). We lived within 90 miles of Eau Claire, WI. Our family lives close to Eau Claire also.

Anyone on this Forum from or near Eau Claire? I sure would like to hear from some retirees and their thoughts of living there.
I must add that Colorado has a $24,000 (per person) exclusion on income tax from a pension so taxes are fair here along with low property taxes.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:53 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
I really like that bike path in Ozaukee Co, if I had the money I'd buy a nice place in Ceder Grove or Oostberg, right near the action but such nice quiet communities along Lake Michigan, it feels much more rural than it really is. I'm sure the property taxes on any property in that county are high though.

Might be cheaper to live in the Michigan side, and the lake waters are much warmer throughout the summer as well. More lake effect snow,but for me that would be considered a bonus. Ludington, MI is a very nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin