Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,389 times

Advertisements

I have often wondered which big city people in Kenosha most identify with- Chicago or Milwaukee. Although the city is in Wisconsin, lots of Chicagoans have moved there and many people there work in Chicago. It is the only place I think that has METRA train service to Chicago. But I wonder if the people there ID more with Chicago or do they prefer Milwaukee or Wisconsin? I bet a Bears vs Packers game is interesting in Kenosha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 09:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Technically it's Chicago's burb but culturally and socially it is it's own city that has close ties to Milwaukee being located right next to Milwaukee's metro.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:14 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
I thought it was a suburb of Racine!

Old 10-04-2012, 07:51 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I have often wondered which big city people in Kenosha most identify with- Chicago or Milwaukee. Although the city is in Wisconsin, lots of Chicagoans have moved there and many people there work in Chicago. It is the only place I think that has METRA train service to Chicago. But I wonder if the people there ID more with Chicago or do they prefer Milwaukee or Wisconsin? I bet a Bears vs Packers game is interesting in Kenosha!
IMHO, I think Kenoshans probably identify themselves with being torn between the two larger cities.
You can find bear and packer fans both here, those rivalries play out every week in the workplace.
You can also find cub and brewer fans here too, and the same rivalry applies.
As a kenoshan, I identify myself with Chicago mainly because I was born and raised there, but I do like the smaller town feel of Milwaukee, doesn't seem to be as hectic and people are somewhat more patient with one another than in Chicago, mainly drivers.
In winter months, I always ask myself, what in the world am I doing here, warmer weather is better for an old fart like me.

I also think people who work in Chicago and have a residence in Kenosha is probably motivated mainly due to the cost of property ownership and taxes associated with it. Not everyone can ride the metra rails to their work destinations, and that's why there's always traffic jams on the edens and the toll road. These days people think nothing of sitting behind the wheel to commute by automobiles, sometimes as many as 3 hours a day. It's not for the impatient, weak or feeble minded.

Someday, Milwaukee might end up being packed in like a sardine as much as Chicago is now.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:49 PM

97 posts, read 202,813 times
Isn't it way closer to Milwaukee?

Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybie Alyssa View Post
To the city of chicago yes but the chicago suburbs start at the state line in other words right across the street from Kenosha is Metro Chicago

Old 11-04-2012, 08:10 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,292 times
You forgot to mention what the natives of Kenosha call people from Chicago. I forgot the name but it isn't something I would post on this forum. I hear there is a lot of tension there.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:06 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
what does it matter, borders are mental perceptions. To the eyes of an outsider, Milwaukee and Chicago people are very similar, it's only a line on a map and sports teams that make them seem different. The best of both worlds living in between them.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:03 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
You forgot to mention what the natives of Kenosha call people from Chicago. I forgot the name but it isn't something I would post on this forum. I hear there is a lot of tension there.
Tensions where?

Old 11-07-2012, 01:04 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybie Alyssa View Post
so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin