Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Illinois Plates Targets in Wisconsin
Yes 5 11.36%
No 26 59.09%
Absolutely a revene target 13 29.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 03:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsekret View Post
I frequently drive I-94 from Tomah to Wisconsin Dells or Madison. It's NOT a pleasant drive. Especially with your children in the car. This stretch of the Interstate is nerve racking and dangerous. You can be assured that there will be people driving way too fast, even dangerously so. Yes, when they zoom by, and you look at the license plate, suprise suprise they are from Illinois. This is where F.I.B's originated. The police are not singling out people from Illinois. The fact is people from Illinois drive way too fast. Period! Wow it's just great to use the excuse that your from a big city and everyone drives like that, or you'll never get anywhere if you don't drive fast. Would you please think about others when you use this "excuse". So it's O.K to put my families life at risk because your from a big city and are in a hurry? Gee thanks, Oh Important Ones!
What a bunch of rubbish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 04:51 AM

5 posts, read 16,787 times
We live in the U.P. and we get used to speeding up here. I routinely meet state troopers on the highway while driving 65-70mph in a 55 and they never give me a second look. But, originally from WI, I KNOW better than to do over 5mph of the posted speed limit. Trust me, it's not your plates, just keep it within 5mph and you'll be just fine!

Old 11-17-2007, 10:29 AM

279 posts, read 756,756 times
I don't think that illinois plates are at all a target in wisconsin, everyone is. I think people just need to be conscious of where you are most likely to get pulled over, and surprisingly it's not the interstates, even though they are heavily patrolled.

Generally you can get away with anything under 75 in a 65 and you will be left alone. If you start pushing any more than that, you are playing with fire.

The real problem in wisconsin is when you get off the interstates and are driving on rural highways or city streets. The #1 place to get a ticket is on a rural highway when you enter a small city where the speed limit goes from 55 to 25 or 35 - - that is where most people are going to get nailed. It is the type of town that is patrolled by maybe one officer and that's a huge revenue source for them.

The other is on city streets where the speed limits that are assigned are ridiculously low. A 25 speed limit is pretty absurd unless it is in a school zone. Drive 25 once and realize just how damn slow that is. I've been on streets in wisconsin with a 25 or 35 speed limit, where a similar road in minnesota will have a speed limit of 50. same goes for illinois.

just to put things in perspective, I lived in wisconsin for the first 25 years of my life, and in 9 years of driving I got at least a dozen tickets and nearly lost my license once when I was around 19 or 20. None of my violations were more than 15 over the speed limit, so its not like I was a chronic speeder.

I moved to minnesota in 2000 and have not gotten a ticket since. My driving habits have not changed a bit, I'm just driving in a place with more reasonable speed limits and officers that enforce the law with some degree of common sense.

Out of state people will tend to get more tickets because when they drive on these roads, it is their tendency to drive what they feel is a comfortable speed only to realize once the lights come on in their rear view mirror that what is reasonable is 15 or 20 mph over the stupid limit that was put in place.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 17,384 times
Default Illinois Ticket Fines Raise Ouch

Ok so I was a little p-oed about my wife getting a ticket in Wisconsin for 160.00, Of couse sticking my foot in my own mouth I recieved a ticket in illinois that said 75.00 on the back of it to pay and when I went to court the judge told me 255.00 merry christmas and have a nice thanksgining.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:36 PM

14,284 posts, read 14,514,220 times
I made many, many trips from Waukegan to Two Rivers and back again before I got settled here in the end of September. I still have Illinois plates and haven't been singled out but I've been sticking to the speed limit.

However, on one of those many trips up, I got pulled over on 43. I was pushing it and as the previous poster said if it had been 73 or maybe 75 no problem. They clocked me from an overpass then the chase car came out. I was going 77 and got a warning ticket. He punched in my info, saw I had no tickets, told me to use cruise control and watch how I packed my car in terms of safety if I had to stop fast.

I really expected to get a ticket because I was 12 over, I haven't had a ticket for many years, maybe my age and somewhat graying hair helped!

Old 11-24-2007, 03:46 PM

463 posts, read 643,050 times
The fact of the matter is people from Illinois drive obnoxious. Wisconsin folk don't take kindly to that. It only takes one family completely wiped outby a drunk Polish Chicagoan speeding' to have Wisconsin folks fed up. When in Rome do as the Romans. This is not a difficult concept to grasp. By the wayI am from Illinois.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:50 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,073,556 times
It is well known in MN that you don't speed in WI, period. It has been the case for well over 30 years. WI drivers are generally much better about staying in the right lane, keeping the left lane open for passing, etc. and you simply don't speed in WI.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:38 AM

279 posts, read 756,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It is well known in MN that you don't speed in WI, period. It has been the case for well over 30 years. WI drivers are generally much better about staying in the right lane, keeping the left lane open for passing, etc. and you simply don't speed in WI.
driven on I-94 lately? there are way more drivers in the left lane than in the right. There's always a pace car clogging everything up and the holiday weekend was absolutely terrible. No reason for the slowdown other than poor drivers taking their old sweet time.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:49 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellstone View Post
driven on I-94 lately? there are way more drivers in the left lane than in the right. There's always a pace car clogging everything up and the holiday weekend was absolutely terrible. No reason for the slowdown other than poor drivers taking their old sweet time.
They were probably right-wingers trying to spoil the holiday cheer.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:10 AM

1,085 posts, read 3,555,881 times
A definite no to this question!

I know a state trooper that patrols Radar Hill right before you get to Fond du Lac on highway 41/45. Anything under 9 miles an hour they let go, otherwise they would be stopping half the traffic. They don't single out cars, trucks, MCs or anything else. They don't have time to check license plates before chasing a speeder either. Once the vehicle has been caught on radar and chased they have to follow up with a stop and a ticket no matter what license plates they have.

Whether it's a warning or not depends on how much over the limit the driver was going and I am sure their attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin