U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,342 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm just looking for some advice on this and can't seem to find it anywhere. I've recently moved to WI (have already registered my vehicle in WI) but did not get a new ID as I needed a photo ID for vacation but didn't want to risk losing my passport. Well my wallet was stolen while on vacation and now I'm not sure what to do as I'm pretty sure you need to surrender your old licence to get a new one.

Ordinarily I would just drive home (from MN) and get a new one, but due to work and a work trip later this week (need ID to rent a vehicle) I am not sure what to do. Any advice on this situation? I have all the neccessary identification but don't have the time to either go to MN or go through the another driver's test.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 08:04 PM

281 posts, read 854,121 times
I just moved to Wisconsin from Illinois. I can tell you Wisconsin is VERY particular about the documentation required for a driver's license. You need to present an ORIGINAL (raised seal) birth certificate. The fancy certificate the hospital gave your mother, the family Bible, etc. will not cut it. You also need something official with your new Wisconsin home address, like a utility bill or lease. To meet the federal REAL ID requirements you need an original Social Security card (if you lost it, the SSA office can get you a replacement. The REAL ID compliant licenses have a gold star, and are a legally superior proof of identity for various purposes. Google Wisconsin DMV to find your local DMV service center. Note: They do NOT have Saturday hours. If you have a 9-5 weekday job you will need to take a day off to get it done.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 AM

25,710 posts, read 25,214,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
I just moved to Wisconsin from Illinois. I can tell you Wisconsin is VERY particular about the documentation required for a driver's license. You need to present an ORIGINAL (raised seal) birth certificate. The fancy certificate the hospital gave your mother, the family Bible, etc. will not cut it. You also need something official with your new Wisconsin home address, like a utility bill or lease. To meet the federal REAL ID requirements you need an original Social Security card (if you lost it, the SSA office can get you a replacement. The REAL ID compliant licenses have a gold star, and are a legally superior proof of identity for various purposes. Google Wisconsin DMV to find your local DMV service center. Note: They do NOT have Saturday hours. If you have a 9-5 weekday job you will need to take a day off to get it done.
This is indeed true, and every state will have different ways of getting licenses for that state. Some are really easy, some are expensive, and some require your entire life story, lol.
When I moved here from Calif, I had to provide a certified birth certificate, social sec card, old marriage and divorce documentations which indicated why my name was not the one on my birth certificate, it was a mess, but I called the dmv prior to moving out here, knowing every state is different, to see what all was going to be needed, ahead of time.
At least its not like Calif, where regardless what class license you need, you have to take the testing all over again. If you have a commercial license (like I do, class A,B, C and D) youre looking at a couple hundred bucks just to transfer over. At least about 4 years ago it was, dont know if thats changed...).

Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM

8,158 posts, read 20,745,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post
This is indeed true, and every state will have different ways of getting licenses for that state. Some are really easy, some are expensive, and some require your entire life story, lol.
When I moved here from Calif, I had to provide a certified birth certificate, social sec card, old marriage and divorce documentations which indicated why my name was not the one on my birth certificate, it was a mess, but I called the dmv prior to moving out here, knowing every state is different, to see what all was going to be needed, ahead of time.
At least its not like Calif, where regardless what class license you need, you have to take the testing all over again. If you have a commercial license (like I do, class A,B, C and D) youre looking at a couple hundred bucks just to transfer over. At least about 4 years ago it was, dont know if thats changed...).

-2 pts for writing in pink.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 AM

16,876 posts, read 13,822,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post

a ssn is not always required if you claim a religious exemption. I did and did not have to give my ssn. I got my license last year in October.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:48 AM

42,661 posts, read 78,567,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
-2 pts for writing in pink.
Right, -- it saved me about a minute, since I just skipped it and didn't read it at all.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:59 PM

281 posts, read 854,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post

I am originally from California. The DMV visit is an all-day affair. I was astounded when I discovered other states do not require the written test with every renewal. Then there is the fact that San Francisco has one DMV office for the whole city. The license procedure alone made the move worth while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin