Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 05:48 AM

147 posts, read 130,153 times

Advertisements

I live right in Kenosha, and this week for two days in a row (April 16th and 17th), strange sounds could be heard coming from what seemed like the sky. My husband heard them too and thought they were very strange. It was all day, on and off both days. I would like to know if anyone else noticed this? I am not close to the airport or anything else, and the best way I can describe the sound is a slightly metallic hum or even a screech, but more low pitched than a screech. Like a whine. It was pretty undescribable. Has anoyone else heard it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,728,615 times
Humming, whining, and screeching................sounds like it might be Mothra vs. Godzilla. (j.k.)

There seems to be a lot of this type of phenomenon occuring around the globe as of late. A quick search on youtube will turn up some interesting hits, and you may be able to compare some of the recorded sounds there with what you heard to see if you get a match. Some report the sounds are coming from the ground, while others report, like you, from the sky.

I've heard some strange things here in FL, but honestly couldnt say if it was natural, or just a mechanical noise from nearby. So it remains......a mystery.

YC.......

Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 AM

I found a match. On youtube, if you type in the video "Strange Noise Weird Sound in the Sky 2011 Big Summary" at 14 minutes in, the sound is identical to what I heard here in Kenosha.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlfromipanemo View Post
I live right in Kenosha, and this week for two days in a row (April 16th and 17th), strange sounds could be heard coming from what seemed like the sky. My husband heard them too and thought they were very strange. It was all day, on and off both days. I would like to know if anyone else noticed this? I am not close to the airport or anything else, and the best way I can describe the sound is a slightly metallic hum or even a screech, but more low pitched than a screech. Like a whine. It was pretty undescribable. Has anoyone else heard it?
Approximate location please?

E.G. Green Bay Road and 52nd. st.

etc...

Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 AM

I live just off 39th Avenue just south of 60th Street.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I live just off 39th Avenue just south of 60th Street.
Freight trains, hauling gravel or coal.

Could also be coming from the Kenosha Public Works garage near 65th. & 38th. ave..

The wind will carry sounds for miles.

At night, I can hear the fast Amtrak trains passing, and feel the ground rumbling too, and we live near 57th. ave.. and 75th. st.

75th. st. & 57th. ave. kenosha, wi. - Google Maps

The noise you hear could be coming from the bakery too, most of the inside of the bakery is all automated industrial type equipment which can be noisy too.

Paielli's Bakery - Home Page

The screeching sounds are the steel train car wheels on the steel rail tracks. The trains occasionally go back and forth to rail sidings to hook and unhook cars from the engines.

The Union Pacific doesn't do any switching at night to my knowledge, except maybe at the power plant.

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 04-19-2013 at 11:58 AM..

Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 PM

Those are all good possibilities, and I am not ruling them out totally. But I have lived right behind train tracks before. I know what that feels and sounds like. And I don't know why any of those things would be constant for two days straight. I have lived in this house for six years and I have never heard anything like it before. I actually found a video that someone from Kenosha uploaded 2 days ago. Not sure what part of Kenosha she lives in, but she heard it too. The video is "strange sounds during lightning storm" in Kenosha. However it could be heard the previous day too.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:50 AM

Default Squealing Noises Not From Pigs!

It's Thursday 05/09/2013 and 0345 hours, and I can hear the squealing noises the OP described, and yes, it is definitely coming from freight trains, confirmed.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
It's Thursday 05/09/2013 and 0345 hours, and I can hear the squealing noises the OP described, and yes, it is definitely coming from freight trains, confirmed.
How long did it last?

Old 05-11-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
How long did it last?
The noises were intermittent, one lasted about a minute or so, went away, and then came back a few minutes later and did the same. All tolled, about 5 to 7 minutes, infrequently. The squeals are coming from rusty rails and steel wheels.

The only reason I know or suspect the trains is because I could hear the roar and rumble of the electro-motive diesels when throttling up and down, once in a while I could hear the engine whine like a turbo charger, but I don't believe the engines have turbos on them.

If you get the chance, drive on down to Bain Station Road near Green Bay when they're moving coal and gravel cars around, the squeals are ear piercing.

Bain Station Road, Pleasant Prairie, WI - Google Maps

The UP does alot of switching in the coal yard-generating plant area. But, they hardly do any switching late at night because Bain Station Road is unprotected, no crossing gates or warning lights. But they do switching at night in the yards.

At about three minutes into this video, you can hear some squealing of the car wheels on the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR2aJvzTjsM

The squealing-squeaking is really predominant in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jQA9EnGYWs

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 05-11-2013 at 05:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin