Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 08:57 PM

9 posts, read 17,653 times

Advertisements

Hello
Looks like my hubby will be getting a job offer in marionette Wisconsin. We already know we don't want to live there and have been looking at De Pere. Looks like good schools (I have a 13 yr old and 9 yr old). We r moving from Indiana. I know it will be hard to start have moved several times but been settled for 5 years. Due to lay offs we will move again. I'm not looking forward to winter but I can't do much about that other than suck it up. The thing I'm most worried about is we lived in Minnesota for 3 years and hated it. The whole "Minnesota nice" was awful. How is that in wisconsin? MN people seemed superficial and they already had plenty of friends. While I dont expect to have an immediate circle of friends it would be nice if people were open to the idea. I'm worried about my 13 year old as he is quite reserved but a great kid. It does look like De pere has good schools? What kind of things are there for families to do? Any help would be much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,174 times
De Pere is great if you must live in the GB metro. Good safe schools. Clean safe.....nice neighborhoods. High school football,national railroad museum,baybeach amusement park,arena with concerts,college and minor league sports (hockey,basketball,indoor football). De Pere has a cute little downtown built around the college with some cool pubs/restaurants. Typical shopping (Walmart,etc)

I live in De Pere and if not for the fact that I've lived in GB my entire life and need a change of scenery badly De Pere would absolutely be on the short list of places to raise kids.

De Pere is for college kids who like to go out for beers on weekends or for stable families who want to raise kids in a safe area. Sucks if you are 28,single and want high energy urban lifestyle with a Starbucks in every corner. But for your situation it's probably pretty perfect.

People here are pleasant if not overly nice. Not really fake or anything. Terrible drivers here.
Winter starts just after Thanksgiving with Jan through Mid March sucking the worst. Very windy and cold....some winters get dumped on.....but rarely have violent weather as in we don't get those monster blizzards you see in the plains or out east....no tornados or vicious thunderstorms.

Best time of year is 4th of July though Halloween. Crack the windows on a crisp late Sept Sunday turn on the Packer game and relax with a favorite beverage. Can't beat Friday night fish fries either.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 PM

26 posts, read 58,151 times
Post Marinette-Green Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claremg View Post
Hello
Looks like my hubby will be getting a job offer in marionette Wisconsin. We already know we don't want to live there and have been looking at De Pere. Looks like good schools (I have a 13 yr old and 9 yr old). We r moving from Indiana. I know it will be hard to start have moved several times but been settled for 5 years. Due to lay offs we will move again. I'm not looking forward to winter but I can't do much about that other than suck it up. The thing I'm most worried about is we lived in Minnesota for 3 years and hated it. The whole "Minnesota nice" was awful. How is that in wisconsin? MN people seemed superficial and they already had plenty of friends. While I dont expect to have an immediate circle of friends it would be nice if people were open to the idea. I'm worried about my 13 year old as he is quite reserved but a great kid. It does look like De pere has good schools? What kind of things are there for families to do? Any help would be much appreciated!!!
If your hubby is getting a job in Marinette, ut would be quite a drive fromGreen Bay/DePere.
If Green Bay is where you actually mean, you can check out the school ratings. Since Green Bay is a bigger city, some of the schools are underperforming, but good schools anyway. Allouez, between Green Bay and DePere is a good area, with good shopping nearby.
Here is a link for local area villages and Green Bay Schools.
Good luck to you!
Green Bay Schools - Green Bay Wisconsin School Ratings - Public and Private

Old 04-23-2013, 11:01 PM

http://www.greenbay.com/visit_us/attractions/

Green Bay, Ashwaubenon, DePere are in Brown County-Kewaunee County (Algoma etc on the site) is nearby-and Lake Michigan and trails are attractive.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:17 AM

9 posts, read 17,653 times
Thank u for the responses. Yes it would be about an hour drive from marinette to de pere. He will have some days at the office in de pere and some in marionette. He has commuted long distances before. I will look at the link that was posted. Thanks again I appreciate it

Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 PM

319 posts, read 665,147 times
Howard is a little closer and still a good neighborhood

Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claremg View Post
Thank u for the responses. Yes it would be about an hour drive from marinette to de pere. He will have some days at the office in de pere and some in marionette. He has commuted long distances before. I will look at the link that was posted. Thanks again I appreciate it

I am glad you were aware of the distance. The city of Marinette seems like a good place to live. But since he has to travel anyway, Green Bay, De Pere, or a suburb would be great. Green Bay has a great Park system and Bay Beach might be one of your favorite spots for the kids.
http://www.baybeachwildlife.com/
:::::::::::
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Beach_Amusement_Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin