Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 07:37 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How about both? Blain's Farm & Fleet actually has more stores in Illinois than Wisconsin, but it was founded in Wisconsin and is headquartered in Janesville.

Mills Fleet Farm is headquartered in Minnesota, but the first store opened in Wisconsin and Wisconsin has more Mills Fleet Farms than any state.
I was not aware of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:12 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn.Sunshine View Post
Yes! Yes! Yes! Kopp's custard! Tailgaiting! Bubblers and Tyme machines (I swear to God people thought I was crazy when I start talking about these things outside of the Wisc. area). I remember going to Usinger's as a little girl and the sweet clerks giving me what seemed like an endless supply of free samples. Those ladies were the best. And George Webb - I have a lot of fond memories of that place from high school. The square cut pizza from DeMarinis and Groppi's Italian sausages (especially the HOT variety).
How about SUMMERFEST!!! I only read half of the pages, but didn't see it mentioned. All of the FESTS really. I have never lived in a place with so many festivals other than Germany. LOL. I love all of the fests. Every weekend in the summer - something different.
And what about the Basilica at Holy Hill? It is so beautiful up there... quite a place. Basilica of Holy Hill - Basilica <3
Shopko though - they are everywhere, as is Aldi (another poster mentioned), and Culver's in in IA, and IL I believe.
As for Shopko and Culver's, those were both started in Wisconsin and are still headquartered here. So was Erbert's & Gerbert's, which is my absolute favorite sub shop! Hmmmmm, I'd love a Tappy or a Narmer right now. http://www.erbertandgerberts.com/index.html

Old 07-31-2009, 11:30 AM

767 posts, read 2,065,664 times
Some sayings seem unique to Wisconsin. For example:

"give-er" As in "I'm gonna go out tonight and really give-er."

"or no" As in "Did you buy gas or no?"

"and so" As in "Its a little nippy today and so?"

"pi--ed up" As in "I was too pi--ed up last night to remember."

I have never heard these sayings anywhere else that I have been, but heard them regularly in Door Co., Sheboygan, and Green Bay areas.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:05 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
"give-er" As in "I'm gonna go out tonight and really give-er."
never heard that

Quote:
"or no" As in "Did you buy gas or no?"
Who in WI doesn't say OR NO?

Quote:
"and so" As in "Its a little nippy today and so?"
Never heard that either or this one below

Quote:
pi--ed up" As in "I was too pi--ed up last night to remember."
Like you said I think it might be more Northern WI to use those sayings. I also remember my first trip up to Green Bay and everyone sounding like the movie Fargo. In Milwaukee on the other hand, on the south side of the city you have what seems to be a mix of Chicago meets Milwaukee accent, nasally and the accent of Chicago.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
never heard that

Who in WI doesn't say OR NO?

Never heard that either or this one below

Like you said I think it might be more Northern WI to use those sayings. I also remember my first trip up to Green Bay and everyone sounding like the movie Fargo. In Milwaukee on the other hand, on the south side of the city you have what seems to be a mix of Chicago meets Milwaukee accent, nasally and the accent of Chicago.
You are right. the dialect in Northern Wisconsin is very pronounced and distinctive. On the other hand, alot of Wisconsinites come down to our part of the country (Springfield, Illinois) and think that we have a southern accent (actually it is more of a lower midwestern dialect like you hear alot of in places like Indy, Cincinnati, and KC)). I agree that most people in Milwaukee and Madison have more of a quasi-Chicago dialect which, to me anyway, seems closer to a neutral dialect than what you hear further north.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:48 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Uff da... Do you guys agree that this is all related to Wisconsin, er no? lol

Uff da seems to be a big one.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekduo View Post
As for Shopko and Culver's, those were both started in Wisconsin and are still headquartered here. So was Erbert's & Gerbert's, which is my absolute favorite sub shop! Hmmmmm, I'd love a Tappy or a Narmer right now. Erbert & Gerbert's Restaurants - fresh sandwiches and soups
Trivia time: The founders of Erbert & Gerbert, Milio's and Jimmy John's are cousins. (Ironically, the founder of Cousin's is not part of the "sandwich cousins" dynasty.)

Personally I'm a Jimmy John's guy. It was founded in my college town and when I first started eating there it was the only one around. I was pleasantly surprised to find them showing up in the Chicago area.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Uff da... Do you guys agree that this is all related to Wisconsin, er no? lol

Uff da seems to be a big one.

Yep. And how about "youse guys" as in "Did youse guys go out an get pi__ed up last night or no?"

Old 08-02-2009, 05:39 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Trivia time: The founders of Erbert & Gerbert, Milio's and Jimmy John's are cousins. (Ironically, the founder of Cousin's is not part of the "sandwich cousins" dynasty.)

Personally I'm a Jimmy John's guy. It was founded in my college town and when I first started eating there it was the only one around. I was pleasantly surprised to find them showing up in the Chicago area.
I love Jimmy Johns, I love the slims they have. Those Jimmy chips are good too, BBQ is the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
Yep. And how about "youse guys" as in "Did youse guys go out an get pi__ed up last night or no?"

Lol. The older guys I work with have such a thick accent. Youse guys is familiar one. The er no is sooo common around here.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,061 times
i remember staying at my grandparents place in sauk city ,what a fun time. Does any body remember the name of the little zoo/park in baraboo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin