Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 05:02 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenozia View Post
Well, that makes sense. Look at the actual map in the link. I'm from south eastern WI and it's all 'soda' in that region.
My father is from Milwaukee and he calls it pop. I call it pop and I live in Georgia. I think it might also have something to do with my father having relatives in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 06:17 PM

34 posts, read 78,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
My father is from Milwaukee and he calls it pop. I call it pop and I live in Georgia. I think it might also have something to do with my father having relatives in Chicago.
Growing up in South East Wisconsin the only time I ever heard the term 'pop' was when you were talking to a very little kid. To me 'pop' is one step above calling everything a 'coke'. I perceive it as being kind of 'redneck'.

For the people here in my new area in Ohio, who all say pop, I tell them "can you think of any national media ad campaign or any national restaurant chain's menu where they ever refer to it as 'pop'?"

It's virtually always 'soda' because the few places they call it 'soda' are California and New York: the media hubs. The only instance on restaurant menus that they say 'pop' is to provide some "local flavor". The national media standard is 'soda'.

Last edited by Kenozia; 01-13-2011 at 07:37 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 06:41 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Growing up in South East Wisconsin the only time ever heard the term 'pop' was when you were talking to a very little kid. To me 'pop' is one step above calling everything a 'coke'. I perceive it as being kind of 'redneck'.

For the people here in my new area in Ohio, who all say pop, I tell them "can you think of any national media ad campaign where they ever refer to it as 'pop'?"

It's virtually always 'soda' because the few places they call it 'soda' are California and New York: the media hubs.
Actually, where I like, people call everything here "coke", even the Pepsi products. I don't. I kind of hate it actually. I got "pop" from my father. Alot of times when I say "pop", some people would chide "it's coke!".

Other things: My father likes sauerkraut, and I kind of adopted it. I think of this as something of Wisconsin because my father is the only person I know who ever ate it(besides some Germans I know). It comes from the German influences.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
I grew up in Indiana and called it "Pop"... moved to Wisconsin and decided to call it "soda pop" really confuses the heck out of people LOL... How about water fountain.. I asked is there a "water fountain" around here and got very confused faces looking back at me... OH... you mean the "bubbler"... what the heck??? I've been here 26 years so I believe I'm finally an official cheese head... just love it... go packers!!

Old 01-14-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
I grew up in Indiana and called it "Pop"... moved to Wisconsin and decided to call it "soda pop" really confuses the heck out of people LOL... How about water fountain.. I asked is there a "water fountain" around here and got very confused faces looking back at me... OH... you mean the "bubbler"... what the heck??? I've been here 26 years so I believe I'm finally an official cheese head... just love it... go packers!!
There are so many phrases and words like that. Atleast once a month here in Ohio some total stranger will ask me "Oh, are you from Wisconsin? I could tell by the way you said _______"

There's a noticeable syntax, vocabulary and accent to Wisconsin. After growing up in WI, it took me 11 years out of the state and having people constantly point things out to me that I had the lightbulb moment and can now pick up on it. When I talk to my family and friends back in WI, they definitely have a very different syntax and accent than even here in the south eastern midwest. They'll deny it up and down. I'll point out a handful of things to them that they do admit to doing...but "it's no big deal". They still can't hear what they truly sound like to someone not from the upper midwest.

A classic sample of Wisconsin syntax is:

"N'so, we're gonna go by Dave's house. Wanna come with, er no?".

If you stress the 'o's with a Wisconsin accent there are 7 distinct aspects to that phrase that are ubiquitous to the Wisconsin area. Most of them have their roots in bad German-immigrant grammar/habits passed on from our relatives.

Last edited by Kenozia; 01-14-2011 at 09:00 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 09:31 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Again, I grew up in Northwestern Wisconsin, and only ever heard it called a "water fountain" growing up. Never "bubbler." I only heard term "bubbler" for the first time as an adult. Maybe the past five years.

Now on the other hand, "pop" and "soda" - I honestly I grew up hearing both phrases. Although "pop" was my primary way to say it, my head wouldn't have exactly spun, even as a kid, to hear someone order an "orange soda."

There's this video on YouTube where someone asked the question "What do you call it?" And a couple of the commenters said exactly the opposite of what one of the previous posters here said - they think SODA is the hillbilly way to say it. LOL! So... it's all perspective, I guess.

I view pop as a quick, catchy way to refer to it. Soda to my ears sounds different, but not weird. I began saying it more after I moved out of Wisconsin for a few years (I'm back now). But these days I find I'll say them both. Sometimes I say pop, sometimes soda.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:17 AM

In northwestern Wisconsin did you grow up hearing the phrase "come with" as in "I'm heading over to Bill's. Wanna come with?"

Old 01-15-2011, 07:32 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
Quote:
In northwestern Wisconsin did you grow up hearing the phrase "come with" as in "I'm heading over to Bill's. Wanna come with?"
Yep.
I would say that now. lol

Old 01-15-2011, 08:04 AM

947 posts, read 2,422,375 times
Quote:
Is there something wrong with that terminology? Everyone I know says that.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
Is there something wrong with that terminology? Everyone I know says that.
Using 'with' as a preposition was a German mistranslation that the concentrated number of German immigrants to the northern midwest and particularly Wisconsin embedded into the local dialect.

Phrases like "Wanna come with?" 'Take it with." "You gonna go with?" are very awkward/annoying to outsiders. You can't end a sentence with 'with'.

With who? With what?

And when you group it with the common Wisconsin phrase 'er no?' (the Wisconsin accent changing 'or no?' to a strong 'err' sound) to make the phrase "Wanna come with, er no?" or "Wanna come with, er not?" those phrases are very foreign and hard to process to a larger portion of the US.

After outsiders from across the country pointed that out to me when I've said it, I've then asked dozens of people from the Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, WV, Kentucky, Florida, Colorado and Washington areas in the last 11 years. None of them found that to be used in their areas growing up, and that it was very weird to hear and process.

Another one similar to that is how northern Midwesterners say they're going 'by' somebody's house instead of 'to' like most of the nation would say. It's another lasting German imprint as it came from "Bei dem haus".

Last edited by Kenozia; 01-15-2011 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin