Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 10:06 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

I know of something else in Wisconsin.........Fleet Farm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 01:37 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Watch Us Grow. An an amazing 8-8-8 fertilizer that is made in Door County up near the tip of hte thumb. I talked to the chemist/owner/developer a few years ago. He was an old man then and still fired up over it. A gallon will treat one acre four times. No root rot, no root burn. It just works. I was actually able to grow violets! I have two thumbs and neither is green. It was a real surprise.

I love Door County.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Gray-colored liver sausage with gristly bits in it.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Gray-colored liver sausage with gristly bits in it.
Even better, Usinger's.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:27 PM

52 posts, read 216,140 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
All things Wisconsin, from more of a Milwaukee metro perspective -

1) Frozen custard
-The best stands are:
Kopps (3 locations in Milwaukee metro), Leons (27th and Oklahoma), Gilles (75th and Bluemound) and Kitts (70th and Capital)

[NOTE: I see alot of Culver's love here, and while they are fine for what they are, let us remember that comparing Culver's to genuine local stands like Kopps and Leons is like comparing the best mom-and-pop Mexican restaurants of the Southwest to chains like Qdoba]

2) Pizza cut into squares (not triangles) with a thin, firm crust

3) Mama Mia's Pizza locations

4) Friday night fish fries

5) Fish boils (more northern WI)

6) Miller Beer (macro brew)

7) Schlitz, Pabst, and Blatz Beers (historic beers of years gone by)

8) Lakefront and Sprecher Beers (tremendous local beers)

9) Brats

10) Tailgating (this is fairly common throughout the US, however, I would say that no one treats tailgating with the religion that WI-ites and Milwaukeeans do...people go to Brewer games just to tailgate!)

11) Driving slow in the left hand lane (often in big Buicks)

12) Deer Hunting

13) Up North (the most annoying phrase to me in all of Wisconsindome)

14) "Tyme Machines" (slang for ATMs)

15) Packers football

16) German potato salad

17) Lutheran churches and taverns on every street corner

18) SummerFest and all other ethnic summer festivals

19) Weekend church festivals

20) George Webb's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
Oh I am totally homesick now!!! I just love this post, so I would love to add mine. I've been living in VA for 7 years but cant WAIT to get back to WI in a few years!

1) KOHLS....my favorite store in the whole world and they are finally expanding big time in VA! The closest one used to be over an hour away and we'd drive there like once a month, now I have one right down the road from me!

2) Shopko. Oh how I miss Shopko! I even emailed them to ask when they would start letting us homesick people purchase things online. Doesnt look like anytime soon.

3) Cops Grocery Store. I've always loved going to Cops with my mom, but I have to agree with the others, Woodmans IS the best!

4) Aldi's. This store was even mentioned on Clark Howard (talk radio) as one of the best places to shop and the best deal for your money!

5) The Packers. I miss going to Lambeau Field all the time...but I'm on the season ticket waiting list! Hope to have them before I die...if I'm lucky.

6) Fireman's Picnics. We used to go all the time, good ol parades, street dances, cheesefest, etc. I always loved summertime in Wi!

7) Walleye, Perch, Bluegills. I love fresh water fish! Salt water fish dont hold a candle to the fresh water fish in WI...love the fish fry and brat frys!

8) I'm probably going to spell this wrong but Serroogies in De Pere. They have the best melt in your mouth chocolate bars! We used to sell them to raise money for band trips!

9) Stop and Go Lights. GOOD CALL! I used to call them that all the time! As well as use the term "Bubbler" and people here still think I'm nuts.

10) Truck Stops Places/Supper Clubs - some of the BEST food I've ever had!

11) Door County Cherry Trees. Love to go up there in Summer.

12) Bay Beach in Green Bay. Such a cool place to go as a family! Also the Farm in Door County.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averie-Jay View Post
How about "bubbler" for "water fountain"? I still can't train myself to saying "water fountain" - it's a mouthful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Even better, Usinger's.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Kopp's custard! Tailgaiting! Bubblers and Tyme machines (I swear to God people thought I was crazy when I start talking about these things outside of the Wisc. area). I remember going to Usinger's as a little girl and the sweet clerks giving me what seemed like an endless supply of free samples. Those ladies were the best. And George Webb - I have a lot of fond memories of that place from high school. The square cut pizza from DeMarinis and Groppi's Italian sausages (especially the HOT variety).
How about SUMMERFEST!!! I only read half of the pages, but didn't see it mentioned. All of the FESTS really. I have never lived in a place with so many festivals other than Germany. LOL. I love all of the fests. Every weekend in the summer - something different.
And what about the Basilica at Holy Hill? It is so beautiful up there... quite a place. Basilica of Holy Hill - Basilica <3
Shopko though - they are everywhere, as is Aldi (another poster mentioned), and Culver's in in IA, and IL I believe.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn.Sunshine View Post
Yes! Yes! Yes! Kopp's custard! Tailgaiting! Bubblers and Tyme machines (I swear to God people thought I was crazy when I start talking about these things outside of the Wisc. area). I remember going to Usinger's as a little girl and the sweet clerks giving me what seemed like an endless supply of free samples. Those ladies were the best. And George Webb - I have a lot of fond memories of that place from high school. The square cut pizza from DeMarinis and Groppi's Italian sausages (especially the HOT variety).
How about SUMMERFEST!!! I only read half of the pages, but didn't see it mentioned. All of the FESTS really. I have never lived in a place with so many festivals other than Germany. LOL. I love all of the fests. Every weekend in the summer - something different.
And what about the Basilica at Holy Hill? It is so beautiful up there... quite a place. Basilica of Holy Hill - Basilica <3
Shopko though - they are everywhere, as is Aldi (another poster mentioned), and Culver's in in IA, and IL I believe.
I live far away from Wisconsin and you can talk to me about all things Wisconsin(my father even more so).

Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
7) Schlitz, Pabst, and Blatz Beers (historic beers of years gone by)
I just couldn't resist when I saw you mention Blatz.

Watch Michael Gray take the Blatz taste test on this Youtube video back in 1981!

YouTube - WCCO News Opening 1981

Old 07-30-2009, 05:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
In the 50's, there were a bunch of Wisco-99 gas stations around Milwaukee.

And Grampa Graf's Root Beer.

Some Milwaukee beers that were around then that are now gone were Gettelman, Meister Brau and Fox Head, which was made with "famous Waukesha water". North of Milwaukee, Chief Oshkosh beer was still around.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I know of something else in Wisconsin.........Fleet Farm.
Don't you mean Farm and Fleet...

Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Don't you mean Farm and Fleet...
How about both? Blain's Farm & Fleet actually has more stores in Illinois than Wisconsin, but it was founded in Wisconsin and is headquartered in Janesville.

Mills Fleet Farm is headquartered in Minnesota, but the first store opened in Wisconsin and Wisconsin has more Mills than any other state combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin