Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2007, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 5,817 times

Advertisements

My wife may get a job in Menonmonee Falls and we were wondering about the area. I am in my late 40's, she is in her early 30's, my kids are grown 19 and 18. We would like an area that is suburban, with a good size yard for our two dogs and not too expensive. I have been reading threads about the property tax in WI that is high. I pay over 4K a year in property tax on a 4 bedroom home. Is this comparable to taxes in this area? Now how about housing prices in the Falls area, my 4 bdr home with a large yard in my area will bring 300 to 400K. Comparable prices? Anybody have any thoughts to areas outside the Falls and how much of a drive it would be and prices. Thanks everybody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
Overall, I personally really enjoy Menomonee Falls and find MF to be one of the best suburbs in metro Milwaukee...it is in the top 5 personally to me for sure. It is middle-to-middle upper class with some affluent areas as well, it is a bigger, established suburb that still - while having some definite elements of urbanism - feels largely like Mayberry with white picket fences, friendly neighborhoods, nice shops, restaurants, bars, open park spaces and wooded areas, water, etc. Really a nice suburb which is quiet and safe but with very good access to the freeway / Milwaukee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter079 View Post
We would like an area that is suburban, with a good size yard for our two dogs and not too expensive.
Menomonee Falls would probably fit this bill quite yard. You can get nice sized yards here. Not sure what "too expensive" is, but Menomonee Falls - if your criteria is that 300 - 400K range, definitely would be very affordable for you. MF in this area isn't one of the more expensive / affluent suburbs, although prices have gone up there and it is definitely more pricey than some burbs here too...probably middle-of-the-pack in terms of pricy-ness for suburbs.

Quote:
I have been reading threads about the property tax in WI that is high. I pay over 4K a year in property tax on a 4 bedroom home. Is this comparable to taxes in this area?
Depending upon the community you would settle in, property taxes here will probably be comparable to what you are spending, or, a bit higher.

In my community (Greendale, which is a southern suburb), a 1600 square foot 3 bedroom house will net you $4400 in property taxes, which would be more expensive than what you are paying (you are paying comparable taxes for more space).

However, Menomonee Falls has a lower tax rate - slightly - than my community or other Milwaukee County suburbs like Wauwatosa. Taxes aren't overwhelmingly lower in MF though.

I would guess that you'll end up paying about the same as you would in your current area, or slightly more, but the difference won't be earth-shattering like it would be if you were coming from Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, etc.

Quote:
Now how about housing prices in the Falls area, my 4 bdr home with a large yard in my area will bring 300 to 400K. Comparable prices?
Probably fairly comparable...in Menomonee Falls itself, probably houses will be a bit cheaper than you are used to. It is hard to say, because you are saying 4 br home, but that could be a 1600 square foot home and that could be a 3500 square foot home.

But overall, just kind of trying to arrive at a happy medium, I think you likely could find something in MF that suits your tastes in the $250,000K to $350,000K range. Around $275K or $300K, you can buy something quite big and nice in MF.

Quote:
Anybody have any thoughts to areas outside the Falls and how much of a drive it would be and prices. Thanks everybody
There are just so many areas / suburbs in reasonable distance to the Falls that it is hard to narrow it down without some more specifics, however, ones you may wish to consider in the vicinity that fits your criteria:

-West Bend: 15 - 20 minutes north of MF / 30 - 45 minutes away from much of Milwaukee / could buy a mansion of sorts for 300-400K / growing yet still semi more rural feel (35,000 population)

-Jackson: 10 minutes north of MF / 30 minutes away from much of Milwaukee / slightly more affluent community than MF / growing yet still very rural feel (7,000 population)

-Hartford: [SEE West Bend description]

-Sussex: close to MF / 15 minutes away from much of Milwaukee / slightly more affluent community than MF / rolling hills and forests / growing yet still very small community...less rural than Jackson, WB, etc.

-Brookfield: close to MF / close to MKE / more affluent community than MF / more residential, established, retail-laden, urban than Jackson-WB-Hartford-Sussex

Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 PM

145 posts, read 375,088 times
there is also lannon which is right by mf, i don't know much about it but i know another mom that lives there and she seems to like it.
MF and perhaps the other towns the pp mentioned too, I am not too sure, have a downtown. last time i was in MF was over a year ago but i thought the downtown was cute and it wasn't rundown looking like some downtowns are. i love towns that actually have a downtown instead of just strip malls, but heyhey that is me

Old 12-31-2009, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 5,032 times
I live in MF and for the most part like it. I was raised here left for 10+ years and came back. I have a 2800 Square foot home and pay $5900.00. My taxes went up 300.00 this year. I am not happy with this especially since I have to pay for my garbage pickup also. What do we get for this?.... we are totally overtaxed in Wisconsin! We have to get the Dems out of office! Look at Milwaukee County ... what a mess?

Old 12-31-2009, 09:52 AM

2,659 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedcit View Post
I live in MF and for the most part like it. I was raised here left for 10+ years and came back. I have a 2800 Square foot home and pay $5900.00. My taxes went up 300.00 this year. I am not happy with this especially since I have to pay for my garbage pickup also. What do we get for this?.... we are totally overtaxed in Wisconsin! We have to get the Dems out of office! Look at Milwaukee County ... what a mess?
This is not a Dem/Repub thing in WI. The fact is the vast majority of WI citizens desire a lot of gov't "services." I disagree with the approach but "se la vie."

We lived in WI for years. In all that time, I cannot think of any real movement that gained traction to truly limit gov't activities/role. It just does not happen there.

Repubs that are elected are moderates and have no problem spending other people's money just as much as the Dems.

As to original question, MF is ok but bland. We lived in Sussex for 15 years. It is smaller than MF but also bland. I Personally enjoy lake country area of Waukesha county much more so. If your tastes run more urban, look to Wauwatosa. That may be harder on the dogs though due to smaller yards and less room to roam.
Good luck!

Old 01-01-2010, 07:27 AM

620 posts, read 1,837,979 times
Firefighter: Just my two cents, but from what I've seeing driving around, Sussex looks pretty nice and scenic! No idea how the taxes compare.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 PM

136 posts, read 423,959 times
The Menomonee Falls Area is just Wonderful! The housing market is about the same as the rest of the Country and You can purchase a nice home for $200,000 (even less).The Taxes will be approx $5,000 or less and by having lived in different areas of the Country I can tell you that you will get what you pay for.
The Falls has good roads,police & fire protection,good schools,great medical care and great eating too! Additionally there are also great smaller
communities around the area as well that are just as good such as Hartford which is just as Great!
Please check out the Kettle Moraine Wild Life Area near the falls area!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,582 times
New Yorker just transplanted here for a new job in Glendale. I am currently looking in the downtown and East side area, looking for mid-40's, singles and marrieds, skewing affluent. Any suggestions? Hurry, hotel living is draining me! Thanks

Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia25 View Post
New Yorker just transplanted here for a new job in Glendale. I am currently looking in the downtown and East side area, looking for mid-40's, singles and marrieds, skewing affluent. Any suggestions? Hurry, hotel living is draining me! Thanks
You may want to post this on the Milwaukee forum, you would get more responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin