Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 AM

9 posts, read 17,651 times

Advertisements

It's official we are moving to Wisconsin. I really never thought I would be saying I'm moving north again after having done 3 years in MN. We are moving from Indiana. I can't say I'm thrilled but my husband got a good job offer. So it's off to start all over again. I think the hardest part is not knowing anyone or where I am lol. Looks like it will be Green Bay Area. Prob a suburb maybe de pere. Any got useful advice or pleasant things to say on the area. Yes I know winters are cold!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
GPS is your friend!

Old 05-20-2013, 11:38 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
OP, for what it's worth, my wife and I (already were empty nesters at the time) relocated to SC 4 yrs ago, after living our entire lives in WI.
We knew no one in SC, often joking that our realtor we worked with was our first friend here (actually we do maintain a friendship with him lol). Our knowledge of SC was only from vacations, visiting, and research; no family here either. BUT, on weekends we would take out the gps, pick a spot to take a day trip to, and go drive. Didnt matter if it was nearby or a couple hours away. We did that somewhat frequently, which not only gave us a better understanding of the state in general, but we narrowed down spots that to this day we look forward to hitting again. And as we keep ourselves busy, we loved the move we made. I think that's an important piece--keep busy and learn the areas.

You didnt mention if you have kids and if so their age range, then the crew here can give some ideas on possible school districts to look for if needed, things to do either as adults or as a family, etc.
We did used to go up to GB once in awhile (i believe Bay Beach park is still operating, a nice cheap cheap set up), they have a nice zoo nearby as well. Put on the green and gold and hit a Packer game. And as you already noted, winter is cold there, and snow will pile up more then you had down in IN, so plan your outdoor apparel accordingly.

i'll add that while it may not always seem like it at the time, note WI is far more used to and capable to handle the snow then IN. We drove back thru IN during the snowstorm after Christmas (7" +/-), and driving in that was far worse then when WI doubles those totals. So guess that's a positive lol

Last edited by ranger17; 05-20-2013 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-20-2013, 02:58 PM

9 posts, read 17,651 times
I do have children a 13 year old boy and a 9 year old girl. I've looked at de pere schools on line and others. Would appear de pere has a very good school district. We don't have any family in this area either so that's not an issue. But we have loads of friends and a great support network here. I'm very active at the gym so will be looking to join a gym as soon as we move there. Got to keep my sanity some how. I'm sure my husband will be working very long hours! And yes I'm sure I will be using mapquest and GPS a lot lol. Btw I HATE SNOW. Lived in MI and MN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin