Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,430 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all. Looks like we might be relocating from northern Indiana to eau Claire for husband's job. We have two small children (under 5). Tell me about the area. Husband has been there many times for work and loves it but how are schools, weather, etc. is the weather pretty comparable to northern Indiana/Chicago? I've heard staying to the south side of eau Claire is better to stay away from the college. Give me any info you can to help us make this decision. School quality and activities for children where I might be able to make some friends as well are very important as we will be 6 hours away from all of our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,398 times
We made a similiar move last year (from South Bend to Eau Claire). In terms of similarity, Eau Claire feels a lot like South Bend and in fact that was one of the reasons why we decided to make the move. The weather is similiar, but the winter is a bit more extreme (it not only gets colder in Eau Claire, but winter also lasts longer... we had snow in May!). One difference though, is that South Bend had a lot of gray and slushy days, while in Eau Claire it was cold and sunny. It can also be pretty windy which makes the winter even worse. That said, summer has been pretty good this year (last year, when we moved, it was scorching hot).

In regards to raising a family, Eau Claire appears to be a great place for small children. My wife has been able to find a few mom's groups to meet people and find activities (there is also a new dad's group as well). Eau Claire has lots of beautiful parks (especially Phoenix Park and Carson Park) and there are places like the Eau Claire Children's Museum, Eau Claire Indoor Sports Center, and the Phillips Public Library that will host various activities throughout the year. The Oakwood Mall also has an indoor playground for winter time distraction for the children. I can't really say anything about schools since our children are too young to start going, but I would say that there is a healthy amount of home-schooling if you are interested in that.

For a better look at the community, I recommend taking a look at the local magazine, Volume One: Volume One Magazine - Eau Claire Culture and Entertainment. You can also take a look at: Eau Claire : Macaroni Kid

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2013, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,578 times
My wife and two daughters are getting ready to move to the Eau Claire area, along with our girls (2 and 5) Does Anyone have any advice on a local agency that might help find a single family rental home? Price should be 1700 or less/month, and we would like 3 or 4 bedrooms. But it seems, by looking at craigslist, that there are not too many single family homes available. Townhomes or duplexes without end, but we would like to rent a single family house for a year before we buy a home. Most appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin