Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 09:58 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times

Advertisements

Hello, do you recall when beauty pageant contestants introduce themselves by saying, "Hello, I'm Jane Smith from the wonderful state of Illinois where Abraham Lincoln lived and practiced law" and they are wearing a top hat and outfit to look like Lincoln? Or in the Miss Universe pageant where they wear native costume or something on a theme from their country?

Well, I need something similar from Wisconsin for a convention/activity that I will be attending. I have several ideas already but I was hoping for something a little more creative than just wearing a Packers outfit, Brewers shirt, or Bucky Badger get-up.

Last year someone from Minnesota (land of ten thousand lakes) wore a light blue dress with dozens of sparkly fish cutouts stitched on it (only at the top so they could move). As she turned the fish shimmered and moved like they were swimming. It was a big hit. It was creative, fit the theme and she looked gorgeous.

I was hoping for some ideas to get my creative juices flowing. A little information: I'm in my early 60s and plus size so it would have to be something that I could make/modify to be age and size appropriate. I have two weeks to put it together so it can't be something that would have to be ordered or custom sewed. But, I am pretty creative so any ideas to get me started would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 PM

280 posts, read 648,144 times
Since it sounds like this is a thing in which creativity is valued, why not go with a costume based on the Milwaukee Art Museum? Sure, it might not be what people typically think of Wisconsin as, but the whole cows, cheese and beer thing has been beaten to death. You could even construct a cool set of wings based on the "wings" of the museum.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devitron5000 View Post
Since it sounds like this is a thing in which creativity is valued, why not go with a costume based on the Milwaukee Art Museum? Sure, it might not be what people typically think of Wisconsin as, but the whole cows, cheese and beer thing has been beaten to death. You could even construct a cool set of wings based on the "wings" of the museum.
Thank you, that is a great idea! It is definitely something to consider. It would be especially attractive if I could figure out how to make them open just like the wings on the museum. Maybe I could put together a variety of shapes and colors of balloons to represent the blown glass sculpture by Chihuly in the lobby.

Your idea got me thinking about all of the festivals in Milwaukee. Any suggestions of what I could do for that?

Old 07-03-2013, 12:25 PM

280 posts, read 648,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Thank you, that is a great idea! It is definitely something to consider. It would be especially attractive if I could figure out how to make them open just like the wings on the museum. Maybe I could put together a variety of shapes and colors of balloons to represent the blown glass sculpture by Chihuly in the lobby.

Your idea got me thinking about all of the festivals in Milwaukee. Any suggestions of what I could do for that?
Glad you like it! Unfortunately, I think there's WAAAAY too many festivals in Milwaukee to do anything that doesn't either look like a hodge-podge of different ethnicities/social groups or leave someone out.

You could also try a Harley Davidson theme, if you don't mind dressing in leather.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:31 PM

38 posts, read 115,379 times
You can go as the state bird, state insect, leaf from our state tree (or the tree itself), state crop or the state flower. You have many choices.

When I did a pageant years ago, I went as a cow. However, it wasn't a typical costume, lol! It was a cowprint skirt and top with matching cowprint shoes. I even made a necklace and added a bell charm to it. The bell made noise and everything like a cow bell (not as big or loud, of course!).

Another girl I heard of in another pageant went as a snowflake.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHomemaker View Post
You can go as the state bird, state insect, leaf from our state tree (or the tree itself), state crop or the state flower. You have many choices.

When I did a pageant years ago, I went as a cow. However, it wasn't a typical costume, lol! It was a cowprint skirt and top with matching cowprint shoes. I even made a necklace and added a bell charm to it. The bell made noise and everything like a cow bell (not as big or loud, of course!).

Another girl I heard of in another pageant went as a snowflake.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the ideas.
I once dressed as a Maple Tree, in fall, for Halloween. Everyone loved it.

I'll probably go in my Pomeranian German costume (that I had made for an ethnic festival a few years ago). There are two areas in Wisconsin that have the highest concentration of Pomeranians outside of Germany (near Germantown, WI and NW of Wausau, WI -towns of Stettin, Berlin & Naugaurt).

I'll keep these ideas in mind for future years.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:01 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times
A big ol' block of cheese. A cow. A farmer. A can of beer. A drunk. Liberace. A Scandinavian costume if that's your heritage. (As you can see I'm mostly teasing, but to be nice, there's my serious suggestion. I honestly can't think of anything except the far latter.)

If I were from the Seattle area of Washington in some sort of pageant/festival, I'd just come out in hipster clothes all bug-eyed and hyper like I'd just consumed too much caffeine. Holding a Starbucks cup.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:32 PM

Just an update. I wore my Pomeranian German costume and it was well liked.

The other costumes were amazing and very creative. One woman wore cow print rain boots and a cow print set of ears with a cute tee shirt with the enormous face of a cow. She carried a cow bell and rang it as part of her introduction. Another woman came from a city with 40 fountains and wore a simple white dress with 40 long curly ribbons, in different shades of blue, cascading from her shoulders to the floor. It really looked like flowing, water fountains.

Someone came from a city noted for it's many swans. Her costume was black tights, a white leotard, white long gloves and a swan head on her head like a hat. It sounds dorky but looked very nice.
Another woman wore a blue dress with many ruffles in shades of blue that looked like surf on an ocean.

One city was know for it's winter festival and the woman came in a crown and wings made to look like they were formed with ice & ice sickles and a gown out of shiny silver fabric & light blue semi-see though chiffon covering it. She really looked like an ice princess.

There were plenty of Packer/Badger/Golden Gopher/Michigan/other sports & college figures/mascots/costumes as well.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:08 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
I would've worn my Hodag decoy getup.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:32 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,158 times
A Pabst beer can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin