Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 01:00 PM

4 posts, read 27,611 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving to Appleton. My concern is that I'm white and my husband is black. How accepted is this in the area? What are race relations like? We're not so concerned about what people may think of us but will our children be treated well?

Thanks for any replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 12:02 AM

10 posts, read 59,196 times
The majority of black men I see are with white gf's/wives. A lot of the black/black couples I see are packer players who met their wife in another city. Most of the players who meet local girls date white women and I've never ever heard of it to be a big deal or even noticed really.
I wouldn't worry in the least.
While the Fox Valley isn't exactly downtown Chicago for diversity it isn't pure snow white either. The area is far more diverse than it was 15 years ago.
I think it's a pretty openminded area. Maybe being white I don't see certain things but I don't really get a racist vibe at all.
I use to work at a Green Bay hotel which is owend by the Oneida's and has a very diverse employment..black,white,hispanic,native-american,etc and I've never seen or heard of a problem with any of that.

Am I saying you'll never,never,ever hear a sly remark from some jerk? No,but you could get that anywhere. But I think you have very little to worry about.

Your bigger problem will be boredom. There's nothing to do here unless you are rich and can go shopping all the time.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:25 AM

Thanks for your reply. We're from Eau Claire...there's not a whole lot to do here either, not even shop, so I'm sure the boredom factor won't be to much of a change. lol

Old 10-14-2006, 11:17 PM

6 posts, read 30,740 times
Appleton is pretty "white". I am also white and my husband is black and native american. Appleton is not a place we would choose to live for the sake of keeping our daughter in a place that is welcoming of diversity.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:21 PM

Oh, I didn't see your last comment that you are from Eau Claire. My husband and I moved from there three years ago and now live near Milwaukee.

I am from Northeast Wisconsin, about an hour and a half North of Appleton. I really have to stick with my last comment. If you need to come to this side of the state check out Brown Deer. It is just North of Milwaukee, has a fairly diverse population and is relatively safe. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:32 PM

Default Queston for anwalker

I was wondering how you would compare Eau Claire to Appleton. Eau Claire is also very white...I think even more so than Appleton. My husband and I have never had a problem in Eau Claire and really like it here but are moving to be closer to family in NE wisconsin.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:50 PM

Well, I think you might be right that Eau Claire is more white than Appleton. While I have not lived in Appleton myself, I grew up in NE Wisconsin - North of Green Bay.

I think Eau Claire certainly has the University going for it. The college has a huge impact on the city. Appleton is missing that component. I think this is expressed in the population. Eau Claire (especially around the college) has a high number of professors and "college people" around it.

The only thought my husband had about Appleton is that it isn't quite as liberal as Eau Claire (again, I think that our view is definitely colored by our University experience there).

Have you been able to spend some time there? What part of WI is your family from?

Old 10-17-2006, 08:06 PM

I grew up about an hour and 15 minutes north of appleton. It was a small town so growing up we went shopping in Green Bay/Appleton but my husband and I have never spent time there. Now that we're starting a family I'd like to be closer to my parents. I could never go back to living in a small town and Green Bay/Appleton is the only small city in the vacinity. Do you think Green Bay is any better?

Old 10-23-2006, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,886 times
Default Moving to Appleton

kkja-

I moved to Appleton about 5 years ago from Madison. Appleton is very safe, and a great community to raise children. I don't think there is really much of a racial issues here , except with the Hmong population. There are alot of Hmong here in Fox Cities and Green Bay. I think you and husband will do fine in Appleton. Having said that - Appleton is quite boring....there's not a whole lot to do as compared to Madison. Theater, Sporting Events, Shows and sights to see... they just built a performaing ARTS center ..but has yet to attract anything decent really..but is trying. I live in Appleton but work in Green Bay. For extraciricular activites we go to Green Bay. Green Bay has more things to do, more to see and attract bigger events... but ..... there's much more crime and violence in Green Bay. They have Mexican and Hmong gang problems. From my view point you have to decide which is most important to you. In Appleton, stick to the South side or very North Side,
with Green Bay stick to Bellvue or way east side, or Howard areas to the North --- you'll be fine !

Old 11-01-2006, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 7,104 times
Green Bay does have alot of bi-racial children. I've seen alot of black men with white women, thus bi-racial children. The diversity has grown in the last 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin