Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2006, 04:37 PM

7 posts, read 37,536 times

Advertisements

HI, in a matter of a few weeks, we will be moving to Ladysmith from Baltimore, MD. I've read the posts concerning the wildlife (I see more in the cities here, 2 legged variety!), I just wanted to know about the town itself, i.e.: Pizza, Oriental food, Wisconsin food!!! (my wife is from the U.P., I discovered Pasties!), is there a movie theater in town?

More questions: ok, what's a Wisconsin food specialty (Pasties, too?), does anyone play Backgammon, any local micro-brews, are the main roads pretty much taken care of when it snows, and any other info would be appreciated. We're looking forward to being there and getting away from the summers here that you just can't enjoy (100º - 102º with high humidity).

P.S. I'm already a converted Packer fan!

tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 07:24 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,217 times
2 pizza places in town Grandpas Pizza is better though..Chinese place in town taco place also.then McDonalds and Subway.Have a small theatre on minor ave..No micro breweries in town but enough places to drink if you like.US hwy8 and Wisconsin 27 are usually well tooken care off.Countys roads are usually good.Getting snow this week already and cold winds which is unusal last time had snow this early was 1987..Summers get warm but only a few over 100..Small bowling alley in town think 8 lanes.Get micro breweries have to go to Eau Claire or go to Chippewa got the Lienes brewery..Do you hunt? Fish? Moving into town or rural area? Back gammon unsure of I do the cribbage thing but not on teams or nothing.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:05 AM

153 posts, read 711,359 times
The "Wisconsin" dish in my opinion is Hotdish. In Western parts of the state it's Lutefisk. Feel free to google either for more detailed information

One thing to remember about Wisconsin... There's Madison, Milwaukee, and Everything Else. Most of your average Northerner's have more in common with a Yooper than they do with the citydwellers. After all Milwaukee and Madison are two of Chicago's largest suburbs! /joke.

Other answers to your questions:

1. Ladysmith is very small There's one small movie theater in town. I think there's another even smaller one in Bruce, WI nearby. Most people I knew in Ladysmith just drove the hour into Eau Claire - shopped, ate and saw a movie and made a day of it there instead.

2. The best things to do in smalltowns are generally City Baseball games, and Highschool Football games. Hunting is a VERY big activity. So is four-wheeling and snowmobiling.

3. The main roads are generally plowed on the weekdays when it snows in smaller towns, and yes they're very good about it. The only time it usually lacks is if it snows around 4-6 am before the plows really get a chance to hit alot of the roads before everyone goes to work. In my humble opinion, North of Hwy 64, four-wheel drive is a requirement. So are engine block heaters if you park outside.

4. Other things to do: Hunt, Fish, Boating, Ice Fishing, play cribbage. Most of everyone will goto the local watering holes (Bars) Friday's and Saturday's.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:14 AM

7 posts, read 37,536 times
Thanks for the info, politikally! Looking forward to Ladysmith!

tom

Old 10-17-2007, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,427 times
Tom
I live in Baltimore, too. What part of Baltimore are you from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin