Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 10:09 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDNeQ View Post
UPDATE #2 ---

Our youngest son is doing ok, but he is showing signs of isolation. He will definitely not have the quality/level of baseball competition he had in Texas here. He really enjoys baseball. Has played competitive/travel ball since he was 8. He talks about going to college playing it.

To make things work out for us all, I really do think we need to get closer to the Big Metro's. That way we can get son into large baseball tournaments during season. Wife can commute or get a decent job in one of the smaller communities near, and I can drive or be within a short distance to go hunting/fishing...

Not alot of people like to show their homes in the winter.. I wonder why ;P.. I also think we brought the heat with us. 40+ in December? Where's all this cold you speak of?

yeah baseball in Wi isnt the same as in the south (just moved back from 6 years in SC where baseball there seemed like hockey here in the north). In fact the UW dropped their baseball team years back, they may have club ball (not sure on that part) but not D-1. Seems there are some good travel leagues in the state though (American Legion perhaps?) that your son could look into.

And as i'm still getting used to temps here, thanks for bringing the mild temps even if they'll be leaving us shortly!
Dont wish for winter in the northwoods, you'll likely see it soon enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 10:29 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Glad to hear the update. Sounds like you are getting the feel for what is there (and what isn't) and what you will miss. Personal suggestion is to give it at least a little time, as I am discovering in my move almost exact opposite of yours, the emotional effects take a while to settle.

Earlier I mentioned Rice Lake or Eau Claire, and also think Chippewa Falls may be an option for you to consider. Not too large, close to transportation by air or freeway, and close enough to keep the hunting and outdoor activities readily available. Another option is to look at the suburbs of Madison, Milwaukee, or just over the border from the Twin Cities for proximity to more activities and job options for Mrs. while staying within a days drive to the greater outdoors.

Since you are there, take some time to go see the Chequamegan Forest, Porcupine Mountain State Wilderness (Michigan) and get up to Lake Superior. Lots of natural beauty not too far from you.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:31 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
yeah baseball in Wi isnt the same as in the south (just moved back from 6 years in SC where baseball there seemed like hockey here in the north). In fact the UW dropped their baseball team years back, they may have club ball (not sure on that part) but not D-1. Seems there are some good travel leagues in the state though (American Legion perhaps?) that your son could look into.

And as i'm still getting used to temps here, thanks for bringing the mild temps even if they'll be leaving us shortly!
Dont wish for winter in the northwoods, you'll likely see it soon enough.
Baseball was huge in Jefferson County. Johnson Creek had 2,800 people and had two traveling teams, Legion Baseball, and three parks with maintained ball fields. Other areas, not nearly so much.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:47 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Baseball was huge in Jefferson County. Johnson Creek had 2,800 people and had two traveling teams, Legion Baseball, and three parks with maintained ball fields. Other areas, not nearly so much.

hope i didnt come across as knocking bb as I played it myself as a kid (decades ago). Just seems with the UW not having it (though if i recall MATC used to field a championship caliber team at that level) and the fact that it can not be played or practiced year 'round as it can in southern states, for youth it is offered but didnt carry anymore weight then basketball or other sports where traveling/AAU leagues are offered.
And maybe my view of southern product was skewed by living in SC the same years they were in or winning the college world series..... which down there really pumped up their already strong fan base and in turn youth interest.

Guess i should have noted perhaps that into HS there can be some good baseball options here, but if one is looking to play collegiate ball (as OP said about his son) they may end up heading into other areas/regions.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:58 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Yes, Jefferson County is something of a baseball hot bed. My dad played in Home Talent League (an adult amateur competitive wood bat league) for quite a few years.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:22 AM

517 posts, read 1,051,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The images of pretty land and beautiful towns are not a hoax. There are literally thousands of well-stocked fishing lakes in Wisconsin, anywhere in size from half-acre ponds to humongous inland seas bigger than the entire nation of Latvia with grand names like "Michigan" and "Superior." Terrain is anywhere from table-flat to gentle rolling hills, but nothing as dramatic as the mountains of west Texas. If you love hunting and fishing and outdoor activities, then Wisconsin is a great place to live. But you'd better love being outside when it's 10 below zero if you expect to get the most out of the outdoor experience up here.

It's common for folks to carry on about taxes in Wisconsin, particularly property taxes. They are in fact among the highest in the country. But what people around here may not realize is that Texas property taxes are probably even worse. So I don't imagine you'll be terribly shocked by property taxes up this way.

The major stumbling block is your desire for 100 acres. Even the most rural parts of the upper Midwest are simply not as wide-open as the Plains/interior West states (west Texas inclusive). You'll have no trouble finding plots of up to 8 or 10 or maybe even 20 acres. Once you start scaling up to 100 contiguous acres, now you're talking about buying either 1) prime farm real estate, or 2) prime development real estate. I'm not sure what you expect to pay, but 100 contiguous acres with no improvements will start at around a thousand bucks an acre. Throw a basic house on the land and now you're looking at nearly 2 grand an acre.
A thousand bucks an acre? Shhh. Don't tell anyone, I'll be over soon.

A grand an acre might get you something in East Texas if you can scale up to a thousand acres and are willing to have a third in lake and the rest in immature timber.

I have been toying with the idea of Oshkosh, love airplanes, if the people in Wisconsin or almost as nice as the people in Minnisota and North Dakota it would be an easy choice.

Shaking head ,"a hundred grand for a hundred acres?" Sweet!

Old 01-10-2015, 08:30 PM

459 posts, read 474,744 times
If you're living or moving to rural Wisconsin you are very lucky. Wisconsin for the most part is laid back and rural. Life there is very enjoyable for the most part. Driving is easier. You don't have all that road rage you have down south. The only thing is that winter can get long and property taxes are high. You also don't have all the infrastructure and growth problems the southern states are having for the most part. Wisconsin is also not insanely populated like a lot of other states are. I hope and wish you and your family well in Wisconsin. Good luck and and enjoy Wisconsin!

Old 01-10-2015, 09:04 PM

32 posts, read 53,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
If you're living or moving to rural Wisconsin you are very lucky. Wisconsin for the most part is laid back and rural. Life there is very enjoyable for the most part. Driving is easier. You don't have all that road rage you have down south. The only thing is that winter can get long and property taxes are high. You also don't have all the infrastructure and growth problems the southern states are having for the most part. Wisconsin is also not insanely populated like a lot of other states are. I hope and wish you and your family well in Wisconsin. Good luck and and enjoy Wisconsin!

Yes we have found 3 different locations (houses) right now that we are ready to make the top 3 and put an offer in.. All of the houses are between Rice Lake, WI and Hayward, WI. Very rural here, but we are adjusting. The weather hasnt been super bad, all though it does have it's challenges.

Thanks for the comment.. God Bless..

Old 02-10-2015, 08:17 AM

32 posts, read 53,180 times
==== UPDATE #3 ======

We have an offer accepted on a 40 acre home in the Rice Lake / Haugen area. It is mixed pasture/forest land. The property is an old Horse Stable. Wife loves the fact it is within 15 minutes of the schools in Rice Lake. We both love the fact they have at least DSL there, not to fast, but it is fast enough. The home is exactly 2 / 2.5 hours from MSP so not that big of a deal breaker either.

Everything has been working out. Our 11yo has been doing really well in the school environment here. Smaller classes, and the teachers are really cool. They appreciate our attention to their needs to help our son learn and do his best.

Sports -- Well they roped me into coaching Basketball. I was never a BBall guy to say, but I do know how to coach so it's been fun. We are 3-3 right now, so look out.

Will update everyone as soon as we close on the home and move in. If your in the area, stop buy and we will have some Texas Brisket off my smoker!

Old 02-10-2015, 10:15 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Man, I would love some TX brisket! Nice update, seems like everything is going well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin