Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 03:21 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,324 times

Advertisements

The drinking thing is a major problem. And I am not really sure what a "fair" way to handle the situation is. If we raise fines to tens of thousands of dollars and days of jail time for even the first offense, do we really want to punish the person that harshly and possibly ruin their life if they blow a .09 and was only stopped because they had a broken taillight but they were driving PERFECTLY fine? On the other hand, what about the person who is at a .07 and they cross the center line and kill a family? Every human body handles alcohol differently. I happen to know my limit and if I pass that limit I will ride with a friend. But there are no breaks for someone who is driving perfectly fine and blows a .08. Even if they were stopped for not using their turn signal, it is off to jail no matter what. I am not an advocate of drinking and driving but Wisconsin's system is seriously flawed and there is a lot to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 03:46 PM

323 posts, read 1,969,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
The drinking thing is a major problem. And I am not really sure what a "fair" way to handle the situation is. If we raise fines to tens of thousands of dollars and days of jail time for even the first offense, do we really want to punish the person that harshly and possibly ruin their life if they blow a .09 and was only stopped because they had a broken taillight but they were driving PERFECTLY fine?
Short answer? Yes.

I remember a film that they showed us while I was in the Navy about a test administered to a fair number of people (memory says it was 10-20.) They had the people all drink measured amounts and tested their BAC over the course of a day. I believe that they kept them all below the legal limit, possibly quite a ways below. During the course of the day they tested them on a test track - response times, judgement, etc... Not ONE of those people could have a drink without their response time going down and their judgement deteriorating.

The fact that someone has chosen to drink and then get behind the wheel of a car demonstrates that they lack the judgement necessary to be a consistantly safe driver.

Quote:
On the other hand, what about the person who is at a .07 and they cross the center line and kill a family?
I'm one of those people who figures we should consider an automobile to be a deadly weapon so this person gets at minimum manslaughter. If they want to give him a hemp necktie I'll be happy to help. Note that I don't really care if he crossed the centerline because he was drunk, he fell asleep, was going too fast of the conditions or what have you - he used a deadly weapon to kill someone.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:28 PM

40 posts, read 139,121 times
I am amazed how they are bullying the smokers in Wisconsin and protecting the drinking community like its gold. They need change when it comes to the reputation of alcohol in this state. Its a mythological god of alcohol that runs Wisconsin.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:06 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Default Change the Dog Laws....

1. Lower Property Taxes - Wisconsin is one of the highest taxed states in America.. along with IL, ND, SD, NE, TX....

2. Change the Dog Laws to something more reasonable

Right now, if any tiny scratch happens in Wisconsin regarding your dog.... just one scratch... you will be forced to get rid of your dog or lose your Homeowner's Insurance.

If you don't get rid of your dog after even one tiny scratch, you could be liable for "Double Indemnity" ....

That is a State Law... and this is the insurance companie's excuse for cancelling policies.

A Bill was introduced and got all the way to Governor Doyle's desk a few years ago that would have made the "Double Indemnity" only apply in cases where there was more serious injury and the Governor Vetoed it.

That should tell you what kind of state government Wisconsin has.

3. Get a new Governor

Old 11-24-2007, 04:14 PM

396 posts, read 1,698,924 times
It would be nice if they could update the teaching methods here. Education is highly ranked, but not very progressive at all. Hands on learning versus the boring sit and memorize method would be nice.

I too think they should have better gay rights. While I am not gay, I have several gay friends who have been with their partners for years. I sometimes think I am the only liberal out here in Lake Country

Old 11-24-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
1. Lower Property Taxes - Wisconsin is one of the highest taxed states in America.. along with IL, ND, SD, NE, TX....
Are you talking just property tax rates or total tax burden? I'm not sure why people seem to fixate on property tax rate rather than the total taxes paid but it seems to be pretty common. Wisconsin takes its lickings under total burden as well but the really nasty ones are mostly in New England.

Quote:
2. Change the Dog Laws to something more reasonable

Right now, if any tiny scratch happens in Wisconsin regarding your dog.... just one scratch... you will be forced to get rid of your dog or lose your Homeowner's Insurance.
Why was the dog uncontrolled to begin with? Just curious here. Personally I'm a bicyclist so tough dog laws are right up my alley.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:37 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,834 times
If you do not want high property taxes buy a cheap house.

If you want to live like a feudal lord on the lake you will pay for it and you should

Build a fence like they want to do on the mexican border to keep the "tourist" out of the state

Put one way toll roads on the entrances to the state. 100$ a crack. if you wanna play you gotta pay!!

the drunk driving should be addresed. 1 time loose license for 5 years. second time you are done driving in this state...period.

Tax non residents property taxes at a 10X rate. If you have a vacation home you can afford it. If not move here and produce something.

The roads in WI are great...keep up the good job.

The public schools are junk. scrape em.

The universities are great. You should be so lucky to have this as an educational option after 12 years of junk learning. they really are good

take over the U.P. and make it part of wi like it should be. The yoopers would not mind..they root for the packers anyway.

split the state in half around highway 64. south is the state of Milwaukee. North and you are in Goodland

Get a serial killer hall of fame like Dahmer and Ed gein so the tourists have something to remind them of home

Cheers

Old 11-25-2007, 10:16 AM

Unhappy Taxes and Fair Dog Laws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapetacoma View Post
Are you talking just property tax rates or total tax burden? I'm not sure why people seem to fixate on property tax rate rather than the total taxes paid but it seems to be pretty common. Wisconsin takes its lickings under total burden as well but the really nasty ones are mostly in New England.

Why was the dog uncontrolled to begin with? Just curious here. Personally I'm a bicyclist so tough dog laws are right up my alley.
RE: Taxes

Wisconsin Taxes are public information and available to all who are interested in several reputable studies on the Web.

RE: Dog Laws

The dog laws in Wisconsin are written in a way that even a tiny scratch is punished the same as a mauling. You lose your homeowner's insurance.

The Insurance companies don't have to differentiate as to WHY it occurred or if there was even FAULT on the part of the owner of the dog... a scratch happens.... bye, bye homeowner's insurance. There's no defending it... it's gone.

Apparently, you're someone who never makes a mistake... even a small one.
Therefore, to you, it's great to punish even the smallest offense with the most financially devastating punishment.

I'm glad that bike riders rights are defended by law. Too bad that you don't offer the same support to others who are being unfairly treated by law.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
RE: Taxes

Wisconsin Taxes are public information and available to all who are interested in several reputable studies on the Web.
Right. Of course most of those studies only look at the taxes that you pay to the state and local governments. Your total tax burden includes the taxes paid to the feds. The only reason this matters is that some taxes that you pay elsewhere are deductable when it comes time to pay the Federal Government. So if you live in a state with a high sales tax (not deductable) and low property tax (deductable) you may end up paying more total taxes than if you live in a state with a low/non-existant sales tax and high property taxes. You might check out The Tax Foundations total burden by state page to see what happens with the taxes where you live.

Quote:
RE: Dog Laws

The dog laws in Wisconsin are written in a way that even a tiny scratch is punished the same as a mauling. You lose your homeowner's insurance.
I thought what you said before was that you lost your insurance if you didn't get rid of the dog - not that you automatically lose it. Which is it?

Quote:
Apparently, you're someone who never makes a mistake... even a small one.
Therefore, to you, it's great to punish even the smallest offense with the most financially devastating punishment.
No, I make mistakes. I try to own up to them, though, rather than whining too much to the world at large.

Quote:
I'm glad that bike riders rights are defended by law. Too bad that you don't offer the same support to others who are being unfairly treated by law.
I'm not a fan of being treated unfairly by the law - not at all. I'm just trying to understand why you think that requiring an owner to be responsible for the actions of his/her pet is being unfair? Understand, please, that I think of pet laws mostly in terms of whether they provide incentives for owners to control their pets - dogs, cats, what have you - and whether they provide incentives for owners to take care of their pets (in my mind these topics are interwoven as in Washington road killed pets were way too common.)

Old 11-25-2007, 12:04 PM

You obviously believe that you are right.... you're not.

There was another discussion recently on Wisconsin tax rates on city data forums for anyone seeking facts about Wisconsin Taxes.

Also, apparently you want to make this a personal discussion about pet laws when I want to discuss state animal statute, it's implication and it's enforcement.

City data's forums are here to offer people unbiased information about states and cities that they may consider moving to. People with pets need to be aware of the truth about Wisconsin's Dog Laws so they can make informed decisions BEFORE they move there.

The OP's question was "In your opinion, what changes should be made to improve Wisconsin?..."

My opinion is that the Property Taxes are Too HIGH, The Dog Laws are unfair and I don't like Doyle... the governor.

Is there a reason that my opinion must be argued?

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-25-2007 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin