Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 AM

387 posts, read 1,331,903 times

Advertisements

We had the best weekend. We have only been here full time for a month. Our neighbors invited us down to their condo in the Dells. I know we have been here a month and people are nice to us! We had so much fun. The kids skiied at Devils Head and I took a couple of long walks through Devils Lake Park. What a beautiful park. And tons of people were out skiing at Devils Head and walking at Devils Lake. Sure shot down the theory that people sit inside all winter.
I met someone from Honduras and she lives about 20 miles from us. I asked her out she adapted to was it considered an unfriendly state. She laughed. She also loves it. She told me she knew she would have to get use to long winters so she learned how to ski. She then taught 3-5 year olds how to ski. She told me she has had know problem making friends.
We came home and decorated our house. My kids are so excited. Last year in NH, we struggled to even want to be festive. Not now, we are so in love with WI. As we drove through town we were amazed at the kids playing outside. It was like a postcard. Kids with sleds, dogs running around.
This morning I woke up to a sunny 12 degree day. Took a long walk. Sun was shining, no wind. I would rather walk in weather like this then be swatting bugs! A few people stopped to ask if I needed a ride.
We are so lucky to be here. We love it more and more each day.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:20 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,759 times
Kate, glad your family is adjusting. I also have been walking most mornings. I love the cold weather. I would rather walk October-May and skip the summer, buggy, humid months.
We have been seeing a lot of kids out playing too. Must be the early snow has everyone enjoying it. We have less snow then the southern part of the state. Storms seem to be going more south right now.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Can't wait to start seeing fishing villages sprouting up out on the lakes. Some of those setups are damned impressive; you could just about live out there for as long as the ice will support the structure.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:36 PM

There are some ice fishing shacks up on Lake Wausau.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Already? Hell's teeth -- must be the coldest December in a decade or so.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 PM

32 posts, read 109,799 times
It is a very cold December. Makes me wonder what January and February will hold.

It could be worse. I just read about a new named storm in the Atlantic...Olga I think...isnt it a little bit late for that?

There is really nowhere like Wisconsin at Christmastime. And you gotta love the fishing shanties, but be careful out there on the ice...

Old 12-11-2007, 03:57 PM

68 posts, read 213,680 times
Default Love It

My family and I finally made the move from Catonsville Maryland. We moved in on November 6th in a house we bought in Merrill. We really love it here there is so much less crime, traffic, pollution etc. The people here are so friendly and it really is so peacefull. As far as the cold I would much rather it be in the teens then it be over 100 and 98% humidity when it's after midnight. The school my children attend is top notch, it's a lot more technically adavnced then I thought it might be. My commut to work (which is in northwest Wausau) is so much more relaxing then the gridlock that I had to endore back in Maryland. Not to mention that the scenery is soooo much better, looking at farms as opposed to buildings and trash and angry people. Well I can't think of one thing that I miss about Baltimore, except for some family and friends. But that gives them a place to go for a vacation.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:21 PM

JDCATONSVILLE
So glad you are happy with your move. We have been here 20 years and still love it. Totally agree with you that this is a great friendly area. I have been invited to a cookie exchange this week. So much for being an outsider!
I love the cold too. It was a little damp out today but I still enjoyed walking around outside.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:07 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Hows the ice fishing up in Minocqua right now? Can anyone report?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:56 AM

15 posts, read 36,886 times
Amen LeaveWI!! I concur 100% with each of your points. I was born in WI but have lived most of my life in the south. I came back to WI 9 years ago (by way of Austin/San Marcos, TX) after my divorce as my family is here. My experience with employers has been just as you described. Social climate: Dating - well 9 years here, still single and no interest otherwise. Two really good friends I've made: 1 from Denver and the other from Miami; both dislike it here for the same reasons. ie., limited opportunity, "good ole boy network", lack of culture and the depressing winter weather. I do love WI in the summer, it's beautiful up north and hope that it remains as pristine and undeveloped as it is. WI is just not for me. And in 4 more years I will be heading south once again. I am unfortunately stuck here due to a custody agreement but once my boy graduates I am outtie. (He will be coming w/ me as I want him to realize there's a whole big world outside of beer, bars, cheese and blaze orange). IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin