Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 03:51 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
OP you seem to have some personal problem/anger with Christianity which you are pushing by making a red herring argument that there are too many Christian billboards on the road for your liking. Don't try and sugar coat it, we know what this thread is about.
Sure, I believe Christianity is nonsense, but that is not what this is about. I'm simply asking when these billboards started appearing. I never perceived WI to be that evangelical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 11:13 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
I'm with the OP.

The upper Midwest has historically been very accepting of a variety of religions, and I think it still is. Historically there have been fewer Baptist churches here than in other parts of the country. But where I live all of a sudden over the past two years a whole bunch of anti-abortion billboards tied to a certain church new to the area have popped up.

So the interesting question is, why has there been this noticeable change over the span of just a few years? That's what OP was asking.

Fundamentalism in many different religions is on the rise. Many people feel powerless and threatened by the modern world. Unfortunately there are some unscrupulous individuals who have taken advantage of these weak people and have gotten money out of them to use for their own purposes. And one of the ways these unscrupulous individuals push their agendas is by putting up these billboards.

The way I want to look at it is, "it's just a few crazies stirring things up, just ignore them." On the other hand, all of us have been observing what happens when religious fundamentalism takes over other countries. And these billboards in our area are just a part of the larger movement of a very aggressive form of religious fundamentalism that has been on the rise in our country, so it's a little scary.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:08 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Wisconsin, like much of the Midwest is a more religious part of the country as compared to the east or west coast. When I grew up here, my home town was about equally divided between Lutherans and Roman Catholics. Most people belonged to a church, and most went on a regular basis. These two denominations are still very popular in Wis. Just check your telephone book and you'll likely find many of their churches, along with many others. Even very small towns used to have at least one church, most likely Lutheran or Catholic.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:30 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Even very small towns used to have at least one church, most likely Lutheran or Catholic.

One church and three bars.

On Wisconsin!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:23 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
I think 601halfdozen0theother is right on target. I agree that it is the uncertainty of today's economy/employment environment that is the root cause of so many people turning to these kinds of religious groups.

The problem with fundamentalists is they tend to be inflexible and don't have a live and let live attitude - one of the principals this country was founded on. Evangelicalism is definitely on the rise in the Madison area I think we are up to 4 very large non-denominational churches which are evangelical and scores of smaller groups that don't have buildings. I don't really care what other people do or think, but I expect the same attitude in return.

I don't ever want to see a joining of church and state. I don't ever want to have to take an oath or pledge allegiance to a religious group. This is not democracy and it is dangerous.

I am a person of faith myself, by the way, but I believe God to be inclusionary, loving all people. I do not take the bible literally. I had many debates with my father (a Roman Catholic) about whether people, even divinely inspired people, could actually create a piece of writing that was an unadulterated version of God's word. I, personally, don't feel it is possible. People are just too flawed.

Last edited by Megan1967; 10-31-2013 at 10:42 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 11:20 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Unlike Britain, we're allowed to share our faith with others and not get arrested for it.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:29 PM

There's a profound difference between sharing your faith with those who are interested and are listening voluntarily, and forcing the views of your faith on others via billboards by the side of the road.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:47 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
There's a profound difference between sharing your faith with those who are interested and are listening voluntarily, and forcing the views of your faith on others via billboards by the side of the road.
That's not forcing anyone. You have a right not to look. And for the record, Atheist do the same.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:03 AM

OK, next time I'll shut my eyes while I'm driving.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:16 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Just ignore the billboards if it bothers you so much. Yeesh, what next? Complaining about the ads on the radio that you don't agree with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin