Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 01:29 PM

8 posts, read 10,322 times

Advertisements

I had recently closed my house two month ago. From the sale proceeds, the attorney said he is withholding some money since he could not verify whether or not I paid all my association fees for the last month. In addition, there were some documents requested, which he did not know for sure how much the charged were. He said he will pay that money within couple of weeks. At that time, it sounded okay even though withholding $2000 for a such case sounded little unreasonable.

Now, it is almost 2 months over, still they are not paying the money back. My phone calls are going to their voice messages. Once when I got his secretary, she was explaining, they requested from my ex-community office to send the documents several times, each time they charged $250 for such service it means!! So there is nothing much to pay!! But I politely told her it is unreasonable to take $2000 for ensuring whether or not I paid $250 monthly maintenance fee for the last month. I had already paid this money to my then community management. Now, that my attorney is holding $2000, which according to them is written off due to expenses (for checking if I paid $250 services!!).

To me, it is completely unreasonable and not sure what to do. Could one of you help me if there is a place I could complain about such unduly act.

Thank you.

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 03:52 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,867,762 times
Wisconsin Court System - Office of Lawyer Regulation

They take escrow funds VERY seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if a single phone call from their office wouldn't result in prompt payment.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:58 PM

Thank you,

Could you kindly explain what did you mean by "they". Did you mean Wisconsin Court System? If not, whom did you refer by "they"?

Thank you,

Old 11-14-2013, 03:09 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,867,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlane6429 View Post
Thank you,

Could you kindly explain what did you mean by "they". Did you mean Wisconsin Court System? If not, whom did you refer by "they"?

Thank you,
The staff attorneys at the Office of Lawyer Regulation. It is an office supervised by the Wisc. Court System, and is not an independent agency or an agency controlled by the governor.

Most states regulate escrow agents, but not if they are attorneys because those states delegate that oversight to the state bar or the attorney disciplinary agency. The Office of Lawyer Regulation is that agency. Stealing client funds or escrow funds is one of the very crucial things they investigate. You can do a lot of bad things as an attorney and still keep your license, but messing around with client or escrow funds will get you disbarred.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 PM

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin