Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 02:06 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering two possible job opportunities. The same job, in two different locations. One in Rapid River, MI (just north of Escanaba) and on in Glidden, WI. I've visited the UP and know a little about it but I've only passed through Northern Wisconsin. Can anyone give me any insight on how they compare? Which would you suggest for a young family?

We have two small children who aren't in school yet but will be soon so schools are important. We enjoy the outdoors, we own two boats plus a canoe so we'd like to be near water. I'm sure in that region we'll eventually acquire snowmobiles. Our oldest is starting hockey this season but I imagine it won't be hard to find youth hockey programs in either location.

In Michigan, I've pretty much determined that anywhere between Escanaba, Gladstone and Cornell is where we would like to live.

In Wisconsin, I've only looked from Glidden up to Ashland. Is Ashland too far? I like the idea of being on the lake.

There are pros and cons in each area.

Michigan
Pros: Closer to home (we're from NW Ohio)
It's on lake Michigan
Closer to lower Michigan which is one of my favorite places on earth
Good university system (Sorry Wisconsinites, I just know more about UofM and MSU and I know they're good schools)
A family friend is moving to the same area next week so we'd know someone in town
Rapid River may be a tiny town but it's closer to a decent sized city (Escanaba pop 18,000)

Cons: Escanaba is a rundown boring town
It's very swampy
There aren't many small lakes around
It's Michigan but not the area in Michigan where I want to be

Wisconsin
Pros: The Forest is more productive (my husband is a forester)
Closer to a bigger city (I love Duluth)
It seem to have more hardwood trees which I prefer (correct me if I'm wrong)
Lots of small lakes
My husband seems to prefer it

Cons: No sizeable city in the immediate area
It's just not Michigan .

So does anyone out there have any opinion on which is better and why? If no opinion on which is better just tell me how they're different.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 05:29 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
The UP is more remote, and well, it has its own culture. I'm heavily biased and pro Wisconsin though.

If you're really into self sufficiency, cutting your own wood, being on your own for most of the year, well, UP is the best place outside of AK for it.

Michigan is a world class U (1-2 with NW in B10), no doubt, but UW Madison is far better than MSU.

But, if you have a strong MI bias (which is perplexing to me), it might suite you better.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:52 PM

I just haven't spent much time in Wisconsin and Michigan is like home to me. I grew up 20 miles from the Michigan border and spent considerable time in NW Michigan. I don't particularly care for the UP though. Marquette is nice.

I'm open to Wisconsin.

So you're saying Northern WI is not as remote as the UP? I know there is enough for outdoor recreation but what about more organized activities for kids? I don't need anything fancy, just well, anything. Hockey, soccer, baseball, gymnastics, art, music, whatever.

For the record, he's now looking at northern MN. And by Northern I mean a few hours north of Duluth. I'd rather be in Wisconsin or Michigan.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post

So you're saying Northern WI is not as remote as the UP?

Yes, the UP is one of the, if not the, least accessible part of the lower 48. IMO

I can't comment on traditional kid stuff.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:55 PM

678 posts, read 1,064,572 times
It really depends on what you need in terms of amenities. I grew up in Michigan and now live in Wisconsin, I personally would lean toward Rapid River because of it's geographical location. You're only 2 hours away from Green Bay and Appleton and if you ever needed another job or move to a bigger city you'd could easily move to that area. There's no why in heck would I agree to move 2 hours north of Duluth unless you really like snow and cold during the winter. That area of MN gets pounded pretty bad.

Good luck!

Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 AM

Could anyone tell me what towns I should be looking into around Glidden? Is Ashland too far?

We don't exactly have the luxury of moving to a bigger city if we wanted. My husband works for the US Forest Service which means we're usually in small remote towns. We've been lucky to be in a town the size of Helena, MT for the past four years but it's time to move on. I'm hoping I can keep my job and work remotely.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:28 AM

I worked in Park Falls a fair amount when at the DNR. I'd probably look there. It's half the distance to Gidden as Ashland. Again though, I know nothing about the schools or kid activities. Though Ashland is about 4x bigger (2k vs 8k). There aren't a ton of options. Hayward is west as is ok but that is a less friendly commute I think than Ashland. Ashland is also closer to Bayfield.

Heck, if I was the one staying home I'd pick Ashland. Haha.

The winter commute will be rough at times, but I'm sure he's used to that.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:23 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
There's not a huge difference between the two when it comes to climate. They both seem to get similar amounts of lake effect snow after doing a more detailed look at them. It's possible the WI location gets a bit more lake effect snow on average, but both locations easily see 60 inches a season and can break 100 inches in a season. Both locations are just south of where the heavier lake effect snow occurs, so if you try to drive north you will see a lot more snow in both locations.

They are both fairly remote locations, with the WI town closer to the twin cities, a haphazard drive through a bunch of varied highways to get to the twin cities, and the MI town being right along the lakeshore, closest larger city is Green Bay, a direct, albeit long drive down highway 35 right along the lake to get there.

Michigan's state income tax is lower... a flat 4.25%.

Take your pick. I would however ignore posters who tell you to live in a bigger city and commute 50 miles to work. Live where you work, commute to your entertainment.

My reasons for picking Rapid River, MI: Lower state income tax rates, right along the lakeshore, and closer to at least moderate sized towns (Gladstone and Escanaba) where you might be able to send your kids for school, or go shopping for supplies, or live, since they are fairly close together (15 miles Rapid River to Escanaba). Glidden, WI is much farther away from a larger sized town and in my opinion, more remote. Plus you've got a nice 4-lane highway to get you from Rapid River to Gladstone to Escanaba, and if for some reason you wanted to go to Green Bay, the drive would be prettier, right along the lake, and more direct, than the drive to the twin cities would be. Granted the twin cities has more to offer... but that's about all that Glidden has over Rapid River is proximity to the twin cities. In all other accounts Rapid River wins.

Yet one more reason: The great lakes tend to be cold and unswimmable most of the summer, however green bay is quite a bit warmer because it's shallow and smaller. My guess is that small bay Rapid River is located at, Little Bay de Noc, is probably quite swimmable and reasonably warm in the summer, because deeper water is colder water. On the west side of lake Michigan, in eastern WI, the water was always cold, because prevailing winds blow all the warm surface water away. Prevailing winds should blow it towards you in Rapid River. It LOOKs beautiful. I wish I lived there.

Hope I was helpful. Pick Rapid River, and live in Rapid River, Gladstone, or Escanaba. The commute times won't be bad at all since those towns are so close.

Last edited by sholomar; 12-08-2013 at 04:17 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 05:53 PM

Tough decision.

Is it true that there are more hardwoods in Wisconsin? Is it more rolling hills? The Escanaba/Rapid River area is pretty flat with a lot of conifers.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:00 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, the UP is one of the, if not the, least accessible part of the lower 48. IMO

How do you figure that? I work with people in Detroit who commute to their cottages in the U.P. every weekend in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin