Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:27 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Drudge report linked to an article that lists the 10 states with the highest taxes, and no surprise, Wis. is on the list. IMHO, making Wis. attractive to non-resident businesses and individuals, is a real uphill battle. Considering the weather and the taxes, it is going to be a real uphill climb to revitalize the state and get it growing again.

It will be, and the best way is to invest in education. A highly educated workforce attracts high quality employers. I've lived in both the Bay Area of CA and Boston MA (which also has a challenging climate) and both are high cost and high taxes, but because of good educational systems and a start up culture, the jobs pay well, there is high employment, and it is very attractive to employers.

Everyone loses in a race to the bottom. Except the shareholders, perhaps.

Last edited by timberline742; 01-28-2014 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Yeah, but that's just "talk". Nobody's tires were slashed and Walker wouldn't use the IRS to go after political enemies.

Huh, some random kid story from 8 years ago? I do not understand the relevance. Talk, and tone, are very important in what we call political discourse.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:33 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, that is what we need more of in politics. Talk of a warlike battlefield and "decimating" enemies.

While several people may occasionally discuss opposite sides in this manner; no group and I mean NO group tries to villianize, demonize, use extreme example and makes no attempt to coexist than today's Progressive Liberal.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
It will be, and the best way is to invest in education. A highly educated workforce attracts high quality employers. I've lived in both the Bay Area of CA and Boston MA (which also has a challenging climate) and both are high cost and high taxes, but because of good educational systems and a start up culture, the jobs pay well, there is high employment, and it is very attractive to employers.
Not true. Jobs in San Fran pay no better than elsewhere. That is why so many people move out of there after only a few years living there - the pay does not match the COL. Boston has the same problem, but to a lesser extent.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
While several people may occasionally discuss opposite sides in this manner; no group and I mean NO group tries to villianize, demonize, use extreme example and makes no attempt to coexist than today's Progressive Liberal.
Mmm, yes.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Not true. Jobs in San Fran pay no better than elsewhere. That is why so many people move out of there after only a few years living there - the pay does not match the COL. Boston has the same problem, but to a lesser extent.

Sorry, not seeing what you're seeing. And there is certainly no lack of attracting talent and entrepreneurial businesses in either of these cities. When I went to Badger functions in SF there was a ton of UW people there, mostly in engineering. They were doing great. It would be fantastic if Madison and Milwaukee could create the culture of start ups and industry (and the pay scales) to retain this talent. I use one of the devices created by a UW engineer in his 20s that he developed (and launched from a kickstarter funding) and has grown into a pretty nice niche company with a bunch of employees (still small, but growing) in San Francisco. That could have been done in WI if the right culture and community was invested in. Not sure if I can mention the company or not on this site.

Many people move out because they can't hack the rat race. Or they build up their salaries (six figures in the late 20s isn't uncommon) and then move and leverage that in other areas of the country. That is for certain. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

Oh give me a break. I think both extremes (a pox on both their houses) do it equally to each other, baby killers, welfare queens/state, perverts/sickos (gay rights), the takers, etc... the liberals do the same to the other side. Damn them all.

Objectively though, one side is far better funded.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:14 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Sorry, not seeing what you're seeing.

Many people move out because they can't hack the rat race. Or they build up their salaries (six figures in the late 20s isn't uncommon) and then move and leverage that in other areas of the country. That is for certain. Nothing wrong with that.

Then "see" a real estate listing - $850,000+ for a shoebox-size house. 100K in San Fran has nowhere near the buying power as 70K in Milwaukee. Most who move out of the bay area do so because they cannot afford to start a family there, or are tired of living paycheck-to-paycheck and not saving anything.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Then "see" a real estate listing - $850,000+ for a shoebox-size house. 100K in San Fran has nowhere near the buying power as 70K in Milwaukee. Most who move out of the bay area do so because they cannot afford to start a family there, or are tired of living paycheck-to-paycheck and not saving anything.

I lived there. I didn't see the people "fleeing" but more hoards of new people moving in and adding to the start up culture. Yeah, some people decided when they hit their 30s they wanted something else and moved somewhere else. So what? The point is the area attracts high quality talent (for everyone leaving there are younger, hungrier, as well educated people coming in) and creates small, innovative, good pay jobs and businesses... That is the direction Madison/Milwaukee should be heading in, not a race to low paying jobs to compete with the South.

To that, you have to invest in education and a good climate for start ups including start up lab space and accelerators and promotion of capital investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin