Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:43 PM

286 posts, read 1,150,459 times

Advertisements

Here is a space for your best postcard shots celebrating holidays in Wisconsin.
Lets define the span to be, loosely, any time during the snow season.
November through March.
No hard and fast rules here though, not necessary to be politically correct.
Just share your best holiday pictures.

I'll start with Christmas lights put up in Olin park in Madison. Hopefully we'll get some snow soon to go along with these.

tree cutting

santa and reindeer

packers

carollers

Badgers

milk cow

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 07:59 AM

648 posts, read 3,089,331 times
your pictures are great! go wisconsin pride!

Old 12-01-2007, 02:18 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,051 times
Love the pictures!!! I'd love one of those helmet lights in my front yard! LOL

Old 12-01-2007, 04:36 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
bet have the snow now!

Old 12-03-2007, 12:26 PM

Here are a few more from the Olin Park set.
I am watching for good snow shots. You know, the
great Wisconsin Victorian houses all decorated up.

pile of gifts

polar bear

balloon ride

poinsettia

village

Old 12-07-2007, 06:30 AM

Well, now we have snow on the ground. Cold too, it reached 10 below zero in Madison two nights ago. More serious autumn blizzards coming this weekend. And winter doesn't start for two more weeks. I love this stuff!

This is a technically difficult subject to photograph. It's twilight, it's blizzarding, it's cold, the camera fogs up, there's an impossible dynamic range in the subject. A tripod is necessary. Some of these shots took up to three seconds, with a delayed trigger. Any blurring is actually the driven snow, blurred by time. The long exposure shots, tripod mounted, would ordinarily be tack sharp.

White balance is tricky. The background light is nearly that perfect 18 percent gray. There is a cast of high pressure sodium lighting from the nearby highway. The subject itself is lit with a combination of LEDs and little incandescent lamps. Surprisingly, setting the white balance to Sunlit gives a photo most like what the eye sees.
The Nikon automatic white balance works well too. The worst, by far, is an incandescent white balance. Turns everything to blue, as you can see in my previous shots.

Santa, lifting off

milk cow in blizzard
Wisconsin cows are unlike those happy go lucky California cows, tiptoing through the tulips.
Real Wisconsin cows are out in any weather, getting the job done with professionalism.

polar bear and penguins

the holiday dragon

christmas morning

many more of these at
Wisconsin Holidays 2007 Photo Gallery by gallon at pbase.com
you can find large sizes suitable for screensavers.

It's December, there is a pile of snow on the ground, life is good.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:50 PM

Default winter shots of Capital in Madison

The capital in Madison, Sunday December 9th, in the evening. Temperature about 15 degrees.
Tripod mounted, long exposure, from 2 sec all the way to 9 sec. ISO 100 for low noise, not intuitive but it works that way. Aperture of f18 for sharpness.

capital dome, east side

northeast wing

larger sizes at
Wisconsin Holidays 2007 Photo Gallery by gallon at pbase.com

seasonings!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:08 PM

48 posts, read 122,312 times
Excellent pictures. Please keep them coming. I almost feel as though I am there. You folks really know how to enjoy the holidays in true winter fashion-I commend and envy you.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:59 PM

572 posts, read 2,485,884 times
Here is a neat picture from the air.You can see more at http://funaerialphotography.blogspot.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Wisconsin Winter Holidays-snow-air.jpg  

Old 12-13-2007, 05:08 PM

580 posts, read 1,680,639 times
Thats odd, a friend of mine lived in Wisconsin for about 3 years now and they explain tome that their whole year there so far ... sadly all 3 years was a blue Christmas. No white blanket, well now they are moving back over to Michigan hoping for a wintry Christmas next year. Since they dont see much in Wisconsin, ofcourse they see snow but on Christmas its no snow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin