U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:39 PM

255 posts, read 1,130,834 times

Advertisements

We lived in WI for 7 years and absolutely loved it. Our children did so well in school and we lived in a small rural town. The winters are fierce but that's to be expected and enjoyed. We did. It's all in your perspective. Jump right into the Wisconsin lifestyle (snow sports). My husband and son were into ice fishing or just fishing in general, and our son was into snowboarding. He found a small hill on a seldom-used country road near our home and snow boarded down that. And we were given an old snowmobile and we all had so much fun with it. Our girls spent lots of time building snow forts and just messing around in the snow. Our two daughters even now go snowboarding with their brother when he's home. When we had friends over, they brought their snowmobiles and the kids had so much fun. Find stuff your family can do together and you will love it. We also found the people in town to be very friendly. It's amazing how quickly you can get to know people. All the best if the move goes through.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 09:26 PM

15 posts, read 52,879 times
I live in a small town of about 2500, small school, good ole boys club. I would not recommend a town this size to anyone. From my own experience, I found a small town can be challenging on a persons morals and integrity. We are not from here but have lived here for 19 years and we will always be outsiders. There are older couples who have lived here 30 years and feel the same way. You have to have parents and grandparents that were born and raised here. I see things here that are clearly wrong and questionable on the legal side and it is either condoned or people are afraid to say anything for fear of children being picked on by adults in school or in sports. Very strange and that is where I get my name Regrets from, from raising my children in a town that favors "their own". Our school board mostly grew up here also so what may be accepted behavior from one student may not be from another depending on who you are. I think in a larger town or city at least your children will be treated more equally. Just a thought. Good luck to you.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:00 AM

375 posts, read 1,237,295 times
When we built our home it was for retirement in 15 years. But we fell so in love with the community and schools that we moved here way earlier then we thought.
I moved in November with my younger 2 and my son is playing hockey and my daughter is on the JV for basketball. I joined the book club and I asked people who have been here 10 years or less what the secret is. Some our like us and have lived all over the US and they said it can be difficult but you keep trying. One has been here 5 years and is completing her 2nd year on the town council. One started her own business and is doing great.
My husband and oldest daughter are still in NH. They will be here full time in the middle of January. My daughter wanted to finish her semester there. But she is excited to have the chance to complete her senior year here. She has many friends since we were here a lot in the summer and at Christmas for the past few years.
By the way, they are getting hammered with snow. We have had only about 8 inches here. The storms go south instead of north. I've heard Milwaukee has more snow then we do. They were originally going to fly in next Saturday but with the snow, again south of here they changed their plans to Friday. They didn't want to chance Milwaukee cancelling flights.
I am glad they will be here by Sunday. We are invited to a chili dump. Since we have been here we have been asked to participate in something every week end. We love it!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:43 AM

1,085 posts, read 3,334,240 times
Iola is a nice friendly town, it probably around 1000, haven't look at the pop. sign lately. Homes and taxes are reasonable.

We live out in the country a few miles east of Point. Some shopping we do in Point, some in Waupaca and occassionally we drive the forty plus miles to Appleton, so we are not very far from anything.
Try living outside the city limits. There are some nice quiet subdivisions.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:52 AM

1,085 posts, read 3,334,240 times
The school district for Iola is Iola/Scandinavia if you want to check into it. http://www.iola.k12.wi.us/

http://www.wistravel.com/cities_in_w...ola_wisconsin/

Old 12-19-2007, 11:19 AM

7 posts, read 17,843 times
We visited Monday and loved it -- we are thinking of the town Amherst -- it was a great town and everyone is so friendly

Old 12-19-2007, 09:21 PM

537 posts, read 1,817,613 times
Amherst is a nice town. I like the Tomorrow River. There was a movie, Our Vines Have Tender Grapes, with Margaret O'Brien that was based on the Norweigan farmers in that area. I cry everytime I watch that movie. Good luck with your move.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:09 AM

32 posts, read 93,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseheadGB920 View Post
Be ready for very chilly winters! I have lived in WI my entire life and have enjoyed it thus far. The people are fairly nice and overall most schools are above US average. Summers and falls are amazing.
That's for sure! If you haven't been here yet... you should really come visit after the holidays, when/if the snow stops long enough to do so, so that you can see the REAL Wisconsin winter wonderland! LOL Im just south/west of Stevens Point and we have about 16-18 in. of snow as of yesterday. It is beautiful, but very dangerous and scary if you don't know how to deal with it and/or drive in it.

Wish you guys the best on your move though!

Old 12-24-2007, 03:33 PM

7 posts, read 17,843 times
We were up there last week and are from Iowa so we are use to the snow -- LOL I don't go alot of places in the winter cause I hate driving anyways LOL We live in North central Iowa so it was about even in snow fall (according to the internet when you compare the 2)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin