Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 PM

361 posts, read 861,777 times

Advertisements

Timberline,

My income would stay the same, I'm semi-retired, so for just my cost of living I would see about $2800. more in spendable money, this is not taking into account the property tax savings of about $3000. if we have the same home in TN as we do in WI. From the areas we have been looking at, we would get about equal homes for the same money.

We live on the western side of WI which usually has a little lower wages than the eastern side of the state so if I was to compare our wages to jobs I have seen posted in TN I would say half have been equal or better in pay and the other half a little below the pay up here.

The other thing I have compared with the relation we have in TN was heating & cooling costs, we found even thou they do have a longer cooling season the yearly utility bills are notably less in TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 03:42 PM

432 posts, read 544,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1 View Post
Housing- My taxes for 2013 were $4199. The taxes for the TN home were $1202.
So, you retire to TN and after 10 years, spend $30,000 yourselves or save it rather than give it to government so they can give it to other people. And that's not even considering any property appreciation or increase in property taxes, which always happens in wi (Gov Walker is wanting to give tax refunds).

that's a lot of money being taken from you.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Last thing northern states should do is try to compete in the race to the bottom to lower educational standards and spending
since when does excessive spending on teachers salaries and benefits have any impact on education?
So if we give all teachers a million dollars a year for their part time jobs our kids will become better educated?

detroit, chicago, new york, new jersey all have high taxes, yet do they get high services? Ummm...nope.

Quote:
Having lived in the South for awhile, I can say I'll never retire there, if I can retire.
And that's OK. I will, but am not sure yet. I have family and friends in western NC, but that place has been filling up with retired "yankees" due to it being such a nice place and low tax levels. Don't know yet, but it'll be about 5 years before I make that decision. In the meantime, I like it here.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:02 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1 View Post
Timberline,

My income would stay the same, I'm semi-retired, so for just my cost of living I would see about $2800. more in spendable money, this is not taking into account the property tax savings of about $3000. if we have the same home in TN as we do in WI. From the areas we have been looking at, we would get about equal homes for the same money.

We live on the western side of WI which usually has a little lower wages than the eastern side of the state so if I was to compare our wages to jobs I have seen posted in TN I would say half have been equal or better in pay and the other half a little below the pay up here.

The other thing I have compared with the relation we have in TN was heating & cooling costs, we found even thou they do have a longer cooling season the yearly utility bills are notably less in TN.

Well, that makes sense then, if you like it there. I had fun in Nashville. Prone to flooding, but nice city overall. Haven't explored most of the state though, just short visits to a couple of other areas. Lived in KY for awhile, that was a pit.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt14 View Post
since when does excessive spending on teachers salaries and benefits have any impact on education?
So if we give all teachers a million dollars a year for their part time jobs our kids will become better educated?

detroit, chicago, new york, new jersey all have high taxes, yet do they get high services? Ummm...nope.

Well I'm not sure anywhere spends "excessively" on teachers. But where I've lived, communities that spend more on teachers, get better results, and more highly educated teachers. Correlation is not causation, but it is probably a factor. Not sure about the part time job bit either, the 8/9 month thing is a long discredited myth.

Chicago and NYC do get better services yes. I haven't lived in Detroit (which has other issues) or NJ, so I can't say.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
But more people than ever are foregoing kids, choosing urban and non-traditional lifestyles. A lot of empty nesters are also moving from the suburbs into urban condos. Stop pretending this isn't the case just because it doesn't suit your agenda.
then the city of milwaukee should be booming and you should be happy. And the city of chicago, detroit, atlanta, new orleans, etc.

Quote:
So now artists, gays, and "leftists" aren't "normal people?" Cute.
they are all minority in population relative to the whole, so yeah. (think bell curve or look it up).

Quote:
when have I EVER said anything about environmental concerns?
didn't you mention sustainability or some other strange thing? that's one of the eco crazy's babbling rants about 'the suburbs' and why everyone should use mass transit. swore you mentioned something about it, but don't care enough to look.

Quote:
So now I've lived a privileged live based solely on the fact that I went to a high school that isn't terrible?
for that area, I'd have to say yes, you lived a very privileged school life.

Quote:
[riverside university high school, 53211]
median income 59K,
median house value $288K (double wisconsin's)
86% white, 1.7% black, 5% asians (there a university around there?)
67% bachelor's degree or higher.
etc.
//www.city-data.com/city/Shorewood-Wisconsin.html
Looks like you do live in the very white, very affluent, privileged urban enclave.
just looked on a yahoo map--yup, uwm is your neighborhood. Typical of milwaukee, huh.

that's the problem with leftists--they think the whole world is just like their little world.

Quote:
So what of all the drunks, racists, woman-beaters, meth addicts and pill poppers where you live?
don't know any, but i think you want to go somewhere with whatever you are babbling about.
we could compare crime statistics, but there's not a lot of that here but the classic wisconsin drunk driver.
yesterday in the good weather, wife sat on the deck and listened to the wind through the pine trees and all the birds singing. there were no other sounds. she said it reminded her of being in the mountains again.

you should try relaxing a bit. a certain, minority segment of the political spectrum (leftist, not democrat as not all democrats are leftists) are pretty much very angry and very intolerant.

and get out more, diversify who you interact with. big world out there.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:23 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
Quote:
So, you retire to TN and after 10 years, spend $30,000 yourselves or save it rather than give it to government so they can give it to other people. And that's not even considering any property appreciation or increase in property taxes, which always happens in wi (Gov Walker is wanting to give tax refunds).

that's a lot of money being taken from you.
And here is what you get for it...

Wisconsin vs Tennessee - State Facts Comparison

Wisconsin has:

* A more highly educated Population
* A better school system
* More productive workers (Higher GSP)
*Less crime across the board..

Knuckle dragging tea bag nuts like Walker with flat rate tax breaks screw the common guy while giving a windfall to the already rich.... (I pointed that out to you already Milt... But nooo, you keep going on your ultra right wing tea bagger anti education mantra).

You right wingers will need all your saved tax money to have armed security, gated communities, and armored cars to travel around in.

Is that the America you want? One of incredible class segregation?

Virtually all states that consistently vote conservative, are poor or have a huge income disparity.) with low education attainments. THIS does not make for a strong America.

A nation is only as strong as the weakest link in the chain.

Income inequality is the problem.... So how do you tea baggers address this? Dupe the less educated Americans into thinking a 1% tax break for all is a good idea?

10% of 20,000 = $2000
10% of 200,000= $ 20,000

Hello?! The low income guy gets screwed!

Can anyone say income disparity?
It's the Inequality, Stupid | Mother Jones

Low capital gains tax rates fueling record income inequality
Tax rates are already historically low on the wealthy.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
then the city of milwaukee should be booming and you should be happy. And the city of chicago, detroit, atlanta, new orleans, etc.

Chicago and Atlanta are booming. Atlanta especially so. New Orleans would be except for that hurricane, before that, woah, that place was happening. Detroit was overly dependent on one industry to its doom.

Milwaukee is doing pretty alright. Growing. Lots of people checking it out and many moving there. Young people priced out of Chicago.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:37 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,052,966 times
As a resident of IL., I'm wondering what do most of the property taxes in Wisconsin go for ? Here in IL. around 80% of them go to the schools. We get very little for our tax money . WI. has better roads, certainly cleaner roadways, better route markings, and I'm betting better schools. My taxes on a house assessed @ $325,000 are $7,775 (for 2012).

Old 04-01-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
they are all minority in population relative to the whole, so yeah. (think bell curve or look it up).

OMG. If you use a bell curve and standard deviations from the mean, tea partiers, C level executives and people that have practiced strict monogamy aren't "normal" either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin