Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 02:50 PM

672 posts, read 784,786 times

Advertisements

Monroe is a nice town with several Lutheran churches, a couple of golf courses, about a 1/2 hour to Rockford, an hour to Madison, two to Milwaukee, 3 to Chicago. There are several small parks in the area which offer access to fishing (Cadiz Spring, Yellowstone Lake), hiking, lots of state natural areas close by, lots of charm and character to the area. Access to shopping, dining, medical, etc.

A couple of homes:
1602 16th St, Monroe, WI 53566 :: Wisconsin Homes
623 22nd Ave, Monroe, WI 53566 :: Wisconsin Homes
1922 11th St, Monroe, WI 53566 :: Wisconsin Homes (this one would need some paint for my taste)

if you were willing to go a bit higher, 2120 11th St, Monroe, WI 53566 :: Wisconsin Homes is nice

New Glarus is a bit further north of Monroe in the same county, not quite as large a city though. Has a public golf course, several Lutheran churches, some shopping, dining, closer to Madison, further to Chicago. Pretty surrounding area, charming little village.

612 2nd St, New Glarus, WI 53574 :: Wisconsin Homes

601 5th St, New Glarus, WI 53574 :: Wisconsin Homes this one is nice, other than the almost galley kitchen.

Iowa county offers some communities fairly close to Madison, without the higher taxes, but with fairly decent services and access to amenities. This area was settled by a lot of Scandinavians, so there are a lot of Lutheran Churches. But these are further away from Chicago, Milwaukee, etc. if you are looking to go to major league sporting events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 04:43 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,891,661 times
Okay, so let's go smaller.

Amery, WI is an hour away from the Twin Cities and Eau Claire. It has an active golf community and has been turning out some nice parks and trails lately, and there are numerous lakes and rivers to fish. They recently built a new hospital and it is a very Lutheran town. It's your quintessential small, Wisconsin town--big town festival in the fall, large support for high school sports, big support for families with sudden illnesses/disasters, big firework show, etc. Oh, and I LOVE the new library. But shopping is a little limited.

Nearby, and a bit larger, is New Richmond. Closer to the Twin Cities and has a Super-Walmart and another grocery store. They also have a YMCA (I don't think it's under that affiliation anymore, but you get the picture). I don't know a lot about it, but I would suspect that what I said about Amery above could be said about New Richmond.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:27 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,349,865 times
The Appleton area has an airport that actually flies more than three places. Not a bad area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin