Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:20 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Oh, Sai Ram. I dream of that place! No other Indian restaurant can match it.
Isn't it the greatest? I love the family that owns it. They're such nice people. Their food is the best. I'm so homesick for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 10:27 PM

361 posts, read 862,064 times
If you are entertaining grand children, I would still give Wisconsin Dells a look. It is a pretty area but you may have to limit what you do there. The upper and lower Dells boat trips are nice and you can often find discount tickets.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
The Dells is combination nice and tourist trap (there's a paean to the Dells called 'Dream Vacation' by the Gear Daddies/Martin Zellar) - in my mind the objection is that in August it's liable to be slammed.

If your family is in Appleton, the 'Chain o' lakes' near Waupaca is very nice. Not sure about finding rentals there that time of year though. If it's the first half of the month, you could bring the family down to Madison - lots to do there, and you can learn to sail on the lake. Latter half of the month you get all the students coming back.

The Superior shoreline also has its appeals if you really want rural - perhaps up around Bayfield and the Apostle Islands.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:40 PM

432 posts, read 544,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I had heard of Wisconsin Dells, so was thinking of learning more about that....until several of you said to avoid it.
it is a tourist trap, but i think it's memorable for people to take a ride on the ducks (think they're still doing that). you can make it a day trip., then get a hotel away from there in some small town, then start again. central and north central wisconsin is pretty much rolling woods and if you drive around enough, all woods and fields look a like, but i live up here.

if you spend time on the ocean, don't know if lake michigan will be interesting. the strip going up to door county (thumb) is pretty much farmland with a lake on the right and once you get north of algoma, it can also be touristy and costly.

guess it depends upon how much time you want to spend traveling. i'd look at a state map and see how long you want to be gone for, then draw a circle. look at those towns on their website and see what attractions they have.

red granite is a dump, but has a great filled in quarry people swim in. packer hall of fame i heard also is nice.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 PM

432 posts, read 544,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
The Superior shoreline also has its appeals if you really want rural - perhaps up around Bayfield and the Apostle Islands.
definitely worth it, but may be some time constraints, don't know.

oh, and OP, look out for deer on the road.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:18 PM

911 posts, read 2,156,280 times
Madison has a ton to do, even a free zoo

Old 04-26-2014, 08:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
Madison has a ton to do, even a free zoo
Yeah but but you get what you pay for, I'd rather drive to MKE and pay for a zoo. I went there once and vowed never to waste my time again. However I know I am in the minority on this as most people I know like it a lot.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:10 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
I vote for Wautoma or even Necedah area. Find a simple cabin on a lake or river and then drive to where you need to go from there. Should be quite reasonable, as you are away from the expensive areas of the state.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:30 PM

8 posts, read 29,157 times
Flying into Milwaukee, spending time in Lake Geneva, then heading to Appleton, {somewhere else}, then back to Milwaukee ... the most obvious choice to me would be somewhere in Door County (Sister Bay, Ellison Bay, Egg Harbor...).

I would probably venture somewhere closer to Appleton if it's for less than 3 days though. Maybe the Green Lake or Waupaca chain' o' lakes idea (though I have not been to that area myself) would work well.
More than 3-4 days though, I would probably head to Door County -- renting tandem bicycles in Peninsula State Park, getting ice cream and watching the sunset in Ephraim, a Friday night Fish Fry in Fish Creek, standing on a rocky bluff at Cave Point Park in a foggy mist ... (yes, love Door County & have great childhood memories of summer vacations there...).

With little kids who maybe haven't traveled as much, there is plenty to see & discover in a little lakeside vacation, I wouldn't bother with amusement action @ "the Dells" but maybe that's just me. Plus, it seems a little out of the way, considering your other WI destinations.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,022 times
I am going to Algoma July 1-5. Curious what the weather will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin