Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:26 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times

Advertisements

My husband's son/wife/2 granddaughters (age 4 & 6) live in Wisconsin. We live in Texas, and have spent very little time with the granddaughters due to many reasons beyond our control.

We would like to plan a trip in August to Wisconsin to visit the family, but we are not familiar with the area. We would probably fly into Milwaukee, and hopefully they could drive to meet us somewhere. I'm thinking of perhaps renting a home on a lake for a few nights (Fond du Lac? others?), or a state park (though I know family cabins tend to fill up quickly, and it may be too late for this summer). Maybe even Wisconsin Dells?

My husband and I will need to pay for everything, so cost will be somewhat of a factor. So I'd like a place with a kitchen so we don't have to eat out every meal.

The actual activities don't matter so much to us as simply having time with them. We thought if we all stayed in one house, we could have some good quality time, but of course we'll want to get out of the house and enjoy the area too.

I welcome any and all ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 10:59 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
Hi! Former Wisconsin resident, here!

Wisconsin Dells is most definitely very touristy, especially in summertime. BUT, Green Lake is lovely, so maybe look into that area, as well.

Fond du Lac (where I lived for many years) isn't really the easiest place to find a lake home rental, I'm afraid. Not to say it's impossible, but it's probably less likely. You might look into Sheboygan area. It's on Lake Michigan, a very lovely community. In the vicinity is Plymouth and you may be able to find a vacation rental there, as well. Also look into Elkhart Lake.

Door County is the favorite destination... it's lovely there. I'm not sure how far in advance rentals book, but I'd definitely recommend at least a day trip there, if you can! Sturgeon Bay might have places to rent since it's slightly larger.

If you haven't checked out "Vacation Rentals By Owner," I'd recommend that, too. You can choose the area in which you'd like to stay and it will show the homes that are available to rent (along with amenities, prices, etc.)

"Up North" is always a nice place to spend time in WI... Townsend, Lakewood, to name two. They're very small town and quaint.

Also look into Redgranite, Wautoma, and Shawano.

Wherever you choose to stay, I hope you enjoy your visit! I'll keep an eye out for places available for you.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:17 AM

Thanks Nicci! I appreciate the list of places to look into. I forgot to mention that part of our time in Wisconsin will be spent with friends in their summer home on Lake Geneva (that will be totally separate from our time with the grandkids), and husband's son & family are in Appleton. I mention that as factors in what general area might be convenient for all of us.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:32 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,429 times
If you book now, you still might be able to find something in Door County or the surrounding areas of Kewaunee, Algoma, Two Rivers, etc. But you will definitely not want to wait if you want to be in that area. Its beautiful, and lots to offer from State Parks, to Marine Museums, to Summer Theatre, to fun places to eat and shop. This would be accessible from both the Appleton area and Lake Geneva area.

I would stay away from Wisconsin Dells if I were you. Very commercial area and kind of obnoxious unless you are under 12.

I also agree to check out "Vacation Rentals by Owner" (VRBO). Google it. I have stayed in everything from Condos to Caribean Beach Houses, and VRBO is GREAT!!!

Door County Vacation Rentals, Condo Rentals & more on VRBO

Two Rivers Vacation Rentals, Condo Rentals & more on VRBO

Old 04-04-2014, 11:49 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Thanks Nicci! I appreciate the list of places to look into. I forgot to mention that part of our time in Wisconsin will be spent with friends in their summer home on Lake Geneva (that will be totally separate from our time with the grandkids), and husband's son & family are in Appleton. I mention that as factors in what general area might be convenient for all of us.
You're welcome! (Can you tell I'm slightly homesick for WI lately?)

Lake Geneva is lovely. I think you'll enjoy your time there.
I don't know if you enjoy Indian food or not, but if you're in Appleton, visit Sai Ram -- 253 W Northland Ave. Man oh man, I miss that place.

I have a lot of family in Appleton. It's a nice town. It's very central... I'm sure you'll find something convenient. Smart to start looking now.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:37 PM

747 posts, read 840,018 times
Also try http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rentals/wisconsin

All good advice on above quotes. Avoid the Dells. So nice to hear such positivity about our beautiful state!

Old 04-04-2014, 02:17 PM

298 posts, read 704,570 times
I'd suggest anywhere from Two Rivers north up into Door County.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:11 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I don't know if you enjoy Indian food or not, but if you're in Appleton, visit Sai Ram -- 253 W Northland Ave. Man oh man, I miss that place.
Oh, Sai Ram. I dream of that place! No other Indian restaurant can match it.

How about Lake Michigan? I could relate a bunch of places up north, but my knowledge is thin on the SE part of the state.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 PM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
The Northwoods region would also work if you don't mind a bit longer drive and being in a more isolated location.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:12 PM

Thanks so far all the suggestions so far. I had heard of Wisconsin Dells, so was thinking of learning more about that....until several of you said to avoid it. I'm now guessing that it is a tourist trap, and we don't like like places like Disneyworld, so want to avoid that kind of place for sure! Thanks for the warning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin