Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 04:51 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times

Advertisements

I have to disagree about the quality of the schools in the UW system being equal. I spent 3 years at UW Madison working my butt off and only had a 3.2 gpa. I went to Eau Claire for 2.5 years because I switched majors and couldn't get into the School of Education right away at Madison. Apparently you have to apply a year in advance (the beginning of your Junior year) at Madison, Eau Claire would take me right away. Anyhow, I (regretfully) didn't crack a book while in Eau Claire and didn't work hard at all and got either a 3.8 or 4.0 every semester. It was waaaaay easier at Eau Claire. Their standards were way below those of UW Madison. I truly regret slacking off at Eau Claire, but it was just so easy to do. No way at UW Madison. I wish I had waited the year and gone to the Education School at UW Madison. I wasn't prepared to face a classroom of kids by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 05:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I don't think anyone here has claimed that UW-Madison is on the same academic or reputational footing as the other UW-schools?

Old 05-14-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeezprah View Post
besides UW Madison, most of the other UWs are going to be relatively the same in regards to quality. most of them are actually pretty underrated on the national level. yea sure, they each have their own little quirks and and maybe a few different majors here and there, but otherwise location is the only huge difference (like i said, outside of UW Madison).

i actually went to a UW system school and got accepted into a better graduate program in the nation and was fully prepared for it. like i said, underrated colleges we have here in WI
This was the post I was referring to, Drover.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:11 PM

Oh, just reread that post. He said, "Besides UW Madison...." Meaning it was different. Got it.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:21 PM

21 posts, read 29,846 times
I like that drover. Also "go to point, smoke a joint" and "UW-Platteville, where the men are men and so are the women!"

Old 05-14-2014, 09:35 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWSP View Post
I'm curious what everyones opinions are of the different UW system schools.
see here.
//www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...-campuses.html

Old 05-28-2014, 07:14 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
For the WI schools, Madison is in a class of its own. It's a world-renowned school and is #1 in the Nation and World for some programs.

The rest of them are under three feet of dirt under Madison. If you plan to spend your whole life/carreer in WI, they are ok but otherwise they aren't of much use.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:12 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
For the WI schools, Madison is in a class of its own. It's a world-renowned school and is #1 in the Nation and World for some programs.

The rest of them are under three feet of dirt under Madison. If you plan to spend your whole life/carreer in WI, they are ok but otherwise they aren't of much use.
Yup, those degrees outside of UW Madison are just useless outside of Wisconsin.

UW-Milwaukee alum named Microsoft CEO | UWM News

Old 05-29-2014, 06:24 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Yup, those degrees outside of UW Madison are just useless outside of Wisconsin.

UW-Milwaukee alum named Microsoft CEO | UWM News
There are always exceptions to any trend.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:06 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Mandalorian apparently went to UW-Madison and feels entitled to belittle the rest of the world that could not get in or afford to pay the tuition there.

Having attended UW Stevens Point and Milwaukee as well as a couple more fine non-UW institutions on a long and arduous path to a degree, the reality is that you will get out of any learning opportunity directly proportionate to the effort you put in. Good educators that communicate well can be found on all the UW campus locations. Curricula related to specific fields can vary, but if you research and vigorously participate in the learning process, you will do well. If you slack off, as previously mentioned, the grades may still be granted but the knowledge will fall short when you reach the real world.

I partied my way out the door at Stevens Point and took another two decades to complete the education process. In the end I received a degree from a private university after I realized I wanted to take learning seriously. It was more about the learner than the setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin