Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 2,651 times

Advertisements

Dear members,

I live in the city of Waregem.
It's here where some of some US soldiers from WWI are burried on the Cemetery of Flanders Fields.
The ABMC and The American Legion Flanders Field Post BE02 started a project called "Adopt A Grave".
This means that citizens of Belgium can "adopt" a grave of a fallen US soldier.
We heve to go visit the grave, put some flowers, be present on special days like Memorial Day,....
I've adopted the grave of Pvt Louis Fred Landgraf, 148th Infantry Reg, 37th Division.
Born may 6th 1894 in Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Killed in Action near Waregem november 1th 1918.

Son of Frank Landgraf and Johanna (Jettie) Tietjen.

I'm looking for more information about Louis Landgraf.
There is not much to find about him on the internet.

Is there somebody who can help me finding more information about this person.

Maybe some relatives from Louis Landgraf.

It would mean a lot for me to construct the history of this soldier.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 02:46 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
i think that's wonderful what you are all doing.

Not sure if this is of any help, but i wonder if a site like ancestry.com may be a starting point. While you aren't looking for a relative of your own, i'm wondering if by entering that name it may pull up some additional data that could lead you in the right direction.

Or perhaps the local Sheboygan newspapers could be of help. I actually out of curiosity googled Sheboygan papers in WW1 and the link below popped up.

Re: US World War 1 soldier Louis Landgraf – died of wounds - Flanders Field

good luck!

Old 06-12-2014, 04:19 PM

738 posts, read 999,605 times
I found an excellent article in the Sheboygan Press about him dated 17 Dec. 1918. Let me see if I can screen capture it and I could scan and send it to you via email. I will also dig a little more to see what else I can find.

Edited to add: I was able to screen capture the article so I can send that on to you. I also checked to see if anyone was tracking this line through Ancestry.com and while I only found one family tree, the person has not been active in a while so it may be a dead end. Let me know if you would like me to send the article along.

RVcook

Last edited by RVcook; 06-12-2014 at 04:43 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 AM

@Ranger 17: I've looked allready on that site. The article you've posted I found also. But I thank you for your reply and help on my research.

@RVcook: Wow...that's excellent news! I would be very pleased to have all you've found about this person.
I could help me out a lot on my research. Thank you for your help!!

Old 06-13-2014, 08:43 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
There is a book: http://www.flandersfieldbook.be/INFO/AANKOPEN.html

Says its back in Print, 40EU + Postage (Local pickup available) You might want to check your local library also, or reach out to the authors.

Also a website: flandersfieldbook.be

Thank-you and your community for honoring our WW1 Men who (Next of kin) have left them in Belgium to be with there Comrades. But they are not forgotten...

Old 06-13-2014, 08:54 AM

@flyonpa:

Thank you for your comment. I have the book here.
There's a page about Louis Landgraf in the book.
But my goal is to reconstruct the whole life of him.
There for I'm looking for all the information I can find.
Also, I hope to find some relatives to make contact with, so I can let them know that their family member is remembered and not will be forgotten.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:41 AM

738 posts, read 999,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan-Belgium View Post
...@RVcook: Wow...that's excellent news! I would be very pleased to have all you've found about this person. I could help me out a lot on my research. Thank you for your help!!
Just sent you a PM.

RVcook

Old 06-14-2014, 04:45 AM

Johan, have you considered contacting the local paper in Sheboygan and discussing what you are doing? This really could be an interesting piece, one they may be able to help with.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:44 AM

Another suggestion would be the local VFW Post. I wasn't able to include a link but that could be a good source for some historical data.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:54 AM

@Ranger17:

I have send an email to some local newspapers in Sheboygan, thank for the tip.
Also is a veteran association busy on looking for info.

My goal is to get as many info as I can get by the most channels I can find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin