Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 11:17 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,171,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Wisconsin is always near the middle in terms of obesity - this is a misconception. Drunks, top 5 consistently, can't argue there.

Typical obesity study (Wisconsin 27th fattest out of 50): Fattest State in America 2012: How Obese is Your State? : News : TravelersToday

It usually ranks higher than that in terms of "health and wellness" (20th here): The 25 healthiest states in America in 2013 - Health - MSN Healthy Living
Minnesota is 36th fattest and 3rd healthiest on those lists (leading the rest of the Midwest in both). It helps to have a neighboring state to pave the way and gently push you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 11:25 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,171,552 times
Another stereotype that is generally true (but also true of some other places) is that the world stops when the Packers pro football team (with its "cheesehead" fans) or Badgers college football team is playing a game. Nothing is more important when they are playing. I doubt a typical Wisconsin resident knows many people that are not serious fans of one or both, unless they are recent transplants.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-04-2014 at 12:15 AM..

Old 07-04-2014, 02:18 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,836,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotoneshoes View Post
I'll look for that flying flag when FB season rolls around. Good to have another GB native in Portland. It's funny when people say it's cold here (Oregon), isn't it?

Yes agree on the Portand weather comment.
Wife and I will take 40's and drizzle any day over upper midwest winter.
That plus almost no mosquitoes or humidity in summer make this place very nice.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:25 PM

108 posts, read 150,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Another stereotype that is generally true (but also true of some other places) is that the world stops when the Packers pro football team (with its "cheesehead" fans) or Badgers college football team is playing a game. Nothing is more important when they are playing. I doubt a typical Wisconsin resident knows many people that are not serious fans of one or both, unless they are recent transplants.
It is absolutely amazing how desolate towns become during these games. I recently took a trip to TN and it was expected that I carried a trove of various cheeses but then again I found it very odd that there was a complete absence of bars in the Cookeville area.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:20 PM

128 posts, read 267,028 times
When I was in Door County last weekend I saw what I as a Michigander would call the most Wisconsin thing ever, a gas station/Culvers combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I had a lot of native Arizonians that just couldn't believe that there was anything of worth in the state, even though they have never been anywhere near the Midwest. I was very appreciative when a new Oregonian friend was interested in what made the state so special, since she has one friend who moved back and is loving it, and knows of many more that wax poetically about it. I couldn't exactly tell her what, besides it's pretty damn awesome.
I'm a Michigander, and since we are both Midwest states on Great Lakes, we tend to avoid each other it seems (except the UP). But recently I had a chance to drive through and visit a portion of Northeast Wisconsin, spanning from Washington Island down to Manitowoc and over all the way around Lake Winnebago and up to Marinette. Anyway, I find Wisconsin to be an incredibly beautiful state. Northern Door County (that part after Sturgeon Bay) is in my opinion more beautiful than the entire Traverse City-Petoskey region, its cousin in tourism. Wisconsin has some beautiful farmland, much more pastoral than anything Michigan can offer. Plus its cities, despite their hard times, seem to be doing far better than ours in terms of their economy and lack of blight (of course I am just basing this off of Northeast Wisconsin and one time driving through Northern Wisconsin and on I94 from Minnesota to Illinois). I could easily live in Wisconsin. In fact I once took an indepth online quiz about what city I should live in and it placed me in a small town in Wisconsin. I can understand why. I love Michigan, but Wisconsin has really grown on me lately.

Last edited by viktor77; 07-06-2014 at 10:29 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 12:48 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,871,330 times
That it's always cold here, and we have NO heat, NO humidity, and NO bugs. When we talk about wanting to move to Florida, people say "You'll never be able to stand the heat in the summer, and OMG the BUGS!!" Whatever. There can't be more bugs in Florida than the multitudes we had on our white boat and white truck when we pulled the boat out of the lake last night.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:24 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,409,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
That it's always cold here, and we have NO heat, NO humidity, and NO bugs. When we talk about wanting to move to Florida, people say "You'll never be able to stand the heat in the summer, and OMG the BUGS!!" Whatever. There can't be more bugs in Florida than the multitudes we had on our white boat and white truck when we pulled the boat out of the lake last night.
True dat about the bugs and humidity!

People also assume that because we have all of these lakes that any of them will work for any type of water recreation at any time. When in reality many of the WI lakes get kinda gross, especially later in the summer, or may not warm up enough for swimming. Most WI lakes are best for one purpose, be it boating, fishing or swimming, or just looking at, rarely for all four...

People also assume that the WI Dells are the best summer fun WI has to offer, LOL!

Old 07-07-2014, 04:38 PM

26,400 posts, read 46,371,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post

People also assume that because we have all of these lakes that any of them will work for any type of water recreation at any time. When in reality many of the WI lakes get kinda gross, especially later in the summer, or may not warm up enough for swimming. Most WI lakes are best for one purpose, be it boating, fishing or swimming, or just looking at, rarely for all four...

People also assume that the WI Dells are the best summer fun WI has to offer, LOL!
WI Dells is too hot and humid much of the time. Up north is better all around.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:16 PM

3,961 posts, read 10,987,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post

while i'll always say WI summer cant touch one in the south for heat/humidity (we're already close to 50 days this year above 90 degrees lol), we actually dealt with more mosquitoes in our Madison 'burb then we do here and we're across the street from the lake. Of course it's the other bugs down here that are a wee bit bigger, and the fact fleas/ticks are out year round that can suck. But you are correct on the lake issues up there, too many times we'd just stare at our nice boat in the garage, while the Madison chain of lakes was covered in blue-green algae in peak summer boating season.... or under one of the no-wake limits due to high waters....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin