Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 04:17 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,653 times

Advertisements

I received a speeding ticket near Montello in WI.
Now, I do admit I was speeding, and am willing to pay the fine. However, I want the points to be reduced.

1. Can I appear in the court and plead to reduce the points? If yes, how is that done?

2. I Know I can reduce the points by completing safe driver courses. Should these courses be done after the court informs the DMV of my points (i.e., after my case is decided upon)?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 07:37 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,848 times
If you appear in court, they will usually knock off a couple of points.

I was caught speeding so many times in a short period of time (I was commuting to a job 35 min from my house) that they were going to suspend my license for 6 months. I wrote to the judge asking if this could be amended to allow me to drive to work and the grocery store, not knowing they always let you drive to work, and he changed it so that my license wouldn't be suspended at all.

If you make an effort they will usually do something for you. Only stipulation is not to be a jerk about it, but it doesn't sound like you would be.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:28 AM

747 posts, read 839,074 times
Speeding tickets are fairly easy to beat in Wisconsin especially if you were caught with radar. Everything depends on what you said to the cop. If you uttered one word that you were driving over the limit you'll get stuck with something. What they want is to turn it into a speedometer violation and have you settle for a higher fine with no points.

However, if you kept your mouth shut I would plead not guilty and start asking for information prior to your pre-trial hearing. Ask for make, model and serial# of the radar unit, calibration and maintenance records, any other violations cited that day, etc. They are required to provide them. Since this isn't worth their time, the ticket typically gets thrown out.

A website with alot of valuable info is :http://www.copradar.com/preview/content.html

Old 07-05-2014, 06:07 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,653 times
Thanks for the info. I will request for lowering of points in the court.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:28 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
If you live nearby, you might be able to have the ticket simply suspended for a year. Some counties allow you to go to the courthouse and meet with a hearing officer, who has the authority to suspend the charge for one year. If, in that period of time, you have no other tickets, they just drop it.

I would call the county that issued the ticket and ask them if they have a hearing officer you can come and see in person. If they do, just dress up really nice and go promise him never to do it again. You still have to pay court costs, but it never shows up on your record, and you get no points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: