Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,191 times

Advertisements

My wife's family has owned a small home on Potter Lake in East Troy for several years. Although we have not visited often and currently live in Chicago (over 50 years), we are planning on razing the current lake home (we call a shack) and building a modest home on our property. We both are in our 60's (no kids) and like the cooler climates. We're on a fixed income now and wonder if a move to East Troy would be too expensive to maintain after building a new home. If we didn't already own the land, I'm not sure that we would be so inclined to make such a major move. Why do we want to leave Chicago? Answer: our neighborhood is good right now but crime is on the increase. At our age we wonder if this move is too big an undertaking, but then again we figure life is short, so why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 08:11 PM

738 posts, read 999,605 times
I have friends that live in East Troy and have a home on Lake Beulah and although your property taxes may increase, (Wisconsin is almost famous for its property taxes) the lifestyle there is rather laid back and not any more expensive than the surrounding communities. The area was originally more of a farming community so the same small town values are present. And really...when compared to Chicago, crime is almost non-existent.

Regardless of your age, moving will be a large undertaking so prepare as well as you can. But if your neighborhood is changing, best to make the move now while you still can. Look at it this way...your neighborhood and home value right now is probably as good as it will ever be. Entertaining the idea of moving in the 70's or 80's would be a deal-breaker for me and is something you should serious contemplate.

Bottom line: As long as you are building a modest home that is very well insulated and virtually maintenance free, I do not believe that it would be too expensive to maintain...even on a fixed income.

HTH

RVcook

Old 08-21-2014, 05:56 PM

Thanks for your input. We will definitely take it under consideration.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:36 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
The above reference to home insulation by RVcook is quite appropriate given the swings in both summer & winter weather extremes in Wisconsin which you are already familiar with given your current location less than 100 miles away from East Troy.
My dad was a homebuilder in a nearby Midwestern state & he did research in the mid 1970's that led him to putting a quality, energy efficient home out there for his clients. I would encourage you to pursue energy efficiency if you raze the current cottage & build anew. Your budget will thank you in the long term.
I have traveled repeatedly through East Troy and know it to look like a quiet, small town with easy access to the interstate. I don't recall what they have in the way of a supermarket. Also, how convenient is access to health care facilities in the area? I don't know if the nearest hosptial is up the interstate a piece or back to the west in Whitewater. That's certainly something to take into consideration too.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:49 PM

Good points all...will definitely look into them. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin