U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2007, 02:53 PM

108 posts, read 380,739 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband is a real estate agent in California. We are planning on moving to WI, IL or MN in the next six months. We are just trying to figure out which place is doing better in Real Estate these days...
We have 2 little kids so we really need to make a good decision.
Help please?
Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 10:15 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,335 times
well commissions will be smaller since our property values are about 25% of what most of california seems to be.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:50 AM

335 posts, read 1,157,513 times
your gonna sell real estate in wi?,,,,, better have one heck of a grubstake or you will starve. realtors on ave in wi make 16k per year. good luck to as wi needs realtors.... and wal-mart greeters too!

Old 12-28-2007, 05:13 AM

137 posts, read 580,366 times
Things are awfully slow here in western wisconsin (suburban twin cities) With the ever so increasing property taxes and the bleeding hearts approving every school referendum coming down the wire, TAH DAH! congratulations!-- we're turning into a banana republic.
Enough of my rant. On the positives-- this is the most beautiful region I've ever lived in. Known either as the Coulee region or driftless zone (look it up on wikipedia) If the local and state governments can stop spending for a while, we might be more comfortable living within our means. Homes are sitting here. Too many on the market. Building halted this summer.

-- but, on the other hand--

Twin cities is hot in the northwestern suburbs up to St Cloud, MN. Minnesota did a much better job forcasting and planning for population growth, infrastructure, etc than WI. Twin cities St Paul and east=slow. Minneapolis side northwest and west= hot.

my source-- my wife is a former realestate agent herself. Not in this area, but when we lived in Iowa. We can drive into a town and within 20 minutes of driving around, she can tell most of the story. When we moved here to western Wisconsin in 1999, we hit it right. Good news, despite my ranting above, even if we sold this place now we would still make on it. Twin cities is growing. Eventually things St Paul and east will pick up again.

I cannot comment on Milwaukee or Madison. Madison was booming a few years ago. Milwaukee is more dependent on Chicago's health (which is ailing these days)

Happy New Year,
disneyrecords

Old 12-28-2007, 11:40 PM

151 posts, read 672,516 times
Milwaukee is not dependent on Chicago's health as it has a system all of its own, but as far as real estate goes, it's hurting like the rest of the country. Our home in Waukesha was on the market from Jan. until Sept. and we lowered the price $60G, which ended up being more than $30G less than our assessed value at the time (thankfully we bought it new in 1999 and were still able to make money). We rented for awhile out here in northern NV, bought a home in Oct., but wish now that we had offered at least $10G less than we did. Given that, the former owners here lost $40G on this house since they bought it in 2006. It is just a bad market all around unless you are first time home buyers with good credit. Offer much less than asking price since you may have to sell in the next few years when prices may bottom out even more.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:01 PM

11,826 posts, read 11,247,862 times
we had sold our home in sept, 4 bed - 1.5 bath, 2500 sq ft on a large lot after carpet allowence of 2500 and installing a new central air, plus reducing it by 30k after being on the market for over 1 yr. My mother sold hers after being on the market for 1.5yrs reducing it by25k. Her home was a 2 bed ranch 1400 sq ft. Both homes sold under appraised by 15k. In a town of 7000, there were over 500 homes for sale (who knows how many foreclosures). Between the 2 houses, property taxes were 7200 per year. Having a brother living near the Twin Cities, Madison WI, Green Bay WI, LaCrosse WI, its not much better economically. In Lacrosse, my brothers 1000 sq ft house property tax was raised to 3300. Just on DIY bathroom renovations, compairing areas (West, East, South, Mid West) Mid West has the lowest return on investment $ @89% compared to West coast @108% on avg. So you do get more bang for the buck in the Mid West. The downward swirl is everywhere, just faster on the coasts.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:49 AM

5 posts, read 46,665 times
Default Delafield or Pewaukee

Both are located in suburbs of Milw in a lake country area. There has been no depreciation on the lake we live on... Pewaukee, check out the stats it has some of the best schools also.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:11 PM

48 posts, read 158,690 times
It doesn;t matter where you are in Wisconsin, the only people that will tell you its good are realtwhores...after all the more listings they have the better chance of selling one....no ethics in real estate here. Just bbs. Nothing moving..no credit available.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:13 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,481,136 times
WI doesn't have a huge real estate market.

Most people would rather rent these days anyway, since WI property taxes are so high.

Minnesota might be better, since it's having such booming growth.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,560,092 times
As luck would have it, there were 3 houses on my block that all sold within six months of listing (one actually sold within the first month) and for just $3K less than asking price. I think this was a fluke but a lucky one for the sellers. Hope we have that same luck next year when we list.

Overall, I would think that WI would be a poor choice if your living depends on real estate sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin