Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Scott Walker or Mary Burke and Why?
Scott Walker 34 50.00%
Mary Burke 27 39.71%
Neither 7 10.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 04:13 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times

Advertisements

NomadSteph: Face it, there is not more "Fantasy Island", thinking that you can work for a company, belong to the union, strike and obtain better wages and benefits than most people, and continue that for decades. All that raises wages. The company has to add those wage costs to the cost of the product. That tends to make their products more expensive than their nonunion competition. Customers try to get the best product and the best price they can. That means the Union employer will lose money. The net result is that he will have to do something to retain his business. This is why so many companies ended up importing part or all of their products from other companies and countries with lower wages and benefits. Globalization is here, and employers, states, even individuals are in competition with one another.

My advice to everyone these days, is don't rely on a union or an employer. Get a skill that you can take with you. If the company goes belly up, you can move on and take your skill with you. Relying on the union to protect your job just doesn't work anymore. Just ask former employees of hundreds of companies that used to be in the Midwest or have shrunk considerably, moved their production overseas or moved to the south. GM used to have 60% of the US auto business. No more. Not only that but high wages, computerization and a whole lot of other factors, employers have spent all kinds of money to eliminate jobs. Machines and computers don't take coffee breaks, sick leave or vacation. Get a skill. Then no one can take that with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 04:55 PM

175 posts, read 256,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Wisconsin has lower-than-average starting salaries for teachers.

NEA - 2012-2013 Average Starting Teacher Salaries by State

Overall, for teacher salaries in the public system in the U.S., Wisconsin is a little below average:

Estimated average annual salary of teachers in public elementary and secondary schools, by state: Selected years, 1969-70 through 2012-13

This doesn't mean the average pay isn't good, though. But don't forget that "average" means some people make way more than the figure, and others make far less.

Also: Why does the debate have to be "taxes versus education"? Can't we have both lower taxes and high quality education in this state?

And for some, being a good christian means knowing that you sin, you make errors, you fail to reach perfection on a daily basis, that you are humble. Walker doesn't come off as being humble, but I haven't met him personally, either.

At least her aides won't go to jail for illegal activities conducted during official business hours.

But seriously, Burke may go back to working with the Boys and Girls Club. She'll be a part of the safety net solution for the people who are adversely affected by Walker's policies.
Everything you said is wrong.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
NomadSteph: Face it, there is not more "Fantasy Island", thinking that you can work for a company, belong to the union, strike and obtain better wages and benefits than most people, and continue that for decades. All that raises wages. The company has to add those wage costs to the cost of the product. That tends to make their products more expensive than their nonunion competition. Customers try to get the best product and the best price they can. That means the Union employer will lose money. The net result is that he will have to do something to retain his business. This is why so many companies ended up importing part or all of their products from other companies and countries with lower wages and benefits. Globalization is here, and employers, states, even individuals are in competition with one another.

My advice to everyone these days, is don't rely on a union or an employer. Get a skill that you can take with you. If the company goes belly up, you can move on and take your skill with you. Relying on the union to protect your job just doesn't work anymore. Just ask former employees of hundreds of companies that used to be in the Midwest or have shrunk considerably, moved their production overseas or moved to the south. GM used to have 60% of the US auto business. No more. Not only that but high wages, computerization and a whole lot of other factors, employers have spent all kinds of money to eliminate jobs. Machines and computers don't take coffee breaks, sick leave or vacation. Get a skill. Then no one can take that with you.
Excellent!

Old 11-05-2014, 06:54 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kv7370 View Post
Everything you said is wrong.
Everything? I said I never met Scott Walker, but you think that's wrong? Either you exaggerate or you don't read very well.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Everything? I said I never met Scott Walker, but you think that's wrong? Either you exaggerate or you don't read very well.
Right. I think you know what I mean............your overall post.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Last I checked, which admittedly was several months ago, Wisconsin's unemployment rate was a full half-percentage point lower than the national average and nearly 2 percentage points lower than when Walker first took office.

What's more, Wisconsin's Labor Force Participation Rate is a full 6 percentage points above the national LFPR, is already above where the national LFPR was before the recession started, and it was one of only 7 states that saw its LFPR increase in 2013 while the nation's LFPR recently hit a 30-year low. So unless something drastic happened between now and last March when I checked the numbers, I'm not sure I get all the hand-wringing about what a miserable economy Walker supposedly ushered in. What more do you folks want?

Old 11-05-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Right. I think you know what I mean............your overall post.
Yeah. Like my statements about teacher pay, for which I provided documentation. And my statement
"This doesn't mean the average pay isn't good," which I reckon you would agree with. And my statement about the term "average," which is a statistical concept. And my two questions, which do not seek agreement or disagreement because they are questions. And my statement about christian humility, which is a cornerstone principle for millions of christians. And my statement about her aides going to jail, because she has no such situation. And my statement about Burke, the Boys and Girls Club, and Walker's policies (this last point could be debated, but real discussion is hard to find around here).

Yeah, other than that, everything I said was wrong.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Last I checked, which admittedly was several months ago, Wisconsin's unemployment rate was a full half-percentage point lower than the national average and nearly 2 percentage points lower than when Walker first took office.

What's more, Wisconsin's Labor Force Participation Rate is a full 6 percentage points above the national LFPR, is already above where the national LFPR was before the recession started, and it was one of only 7 states that saw its LFPR increase in 2013 while the nation's LFPR recently hit a 30-year low. So unless something drastic happened between now and last March when I checked the numbers, I'm not sure I get all the hand-wringing about what a miserable economy Walker supposedly ushered in. What more do you folks want?
Well, there's this:

Wisconsin's private-sector job growth ranks 33rd in U.S., quarterly report shows

A lot of people have a hard time figuring out if Walker is merely presiding over a statewide economic recovery that would have happened anyway, or if he actually is a crucial force in making that rebound happen. Additionally, some people wonder if the economic rebound in the state would be even greater if an even more effective governor were in charge. The meaning of "effective" is variable here, but some believe that a more progressive governor would have been able to coordinate more efficiently with national recovery trends. Others think Walker hasn't gone far enough, and that more severe changes to the state are needed to stimulate a higher level of growth.

These same questions are often posed regarding Obama. Is he just managing a recovery that he had nothing or little to do with? Or are his policies helping to make the recovery happen? Would Romney, or someone with his leanings, have helped create an even more robust recovery?

Old 11-05-2014, 08:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
When you're already well ahead of the curve, how rapid can you realistically expect job growth to be? Part of why Wisconsin's recovery hasn't been as robust as other states is because it didn't fall as far as most other states to begin with and didn't have as far to rebound. Walker may have over-sold the economic outcomes his administration would deliver, but anyone who thinks he's somehow running the state into the ground or even presiding over a stagnant economy don't seem to grasp how good you have it compared to most of the country.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:37 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Look what the unions have done for General Motors and Chrysler. They have the WORSE cars in the country!!!!!!!!

Oh, the almost irony of this.

And I know many a great pedagogic-ly gifted people against the trend to testing, but not a one has an issue with common core theoretically.

And why are people so wrapped up in the deities others believe in or worship? Or the superstitions they hold? It has nothing to do with quality of political leadership. That is spiritual/religious stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin