Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 06:20 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachlooter View Post
well, walker has lived in wisconsin since he was 10 so he knows wisconsin very well. He graduated from delevan darian high.

"When Walker was ten years old, the family moved to Delavan, Wisconsin, a city of about 8,000, where his father continued to work as a preacher. He attained the highest rank, Eagle Scout, in the Boy Scouts of America,[9][10] and graduated from Delavan-Darien High School in 1986"
To someone from Wisconsin that still doesn't make him a native son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 07:32 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachlooter View Post
well, walker has lived in wisconsin since he was 10 so he knows wisconsin very well. He graduated from delevan darian high.

"When Walker was ten years old, the family moved to Delavan, Wisconsin, a city of about 8,000, where his father continued to work as a preacher. He attained the highest rank, Eagle Scout, in the Boy Scouts of America,[9][10] and graduated from Delavan-Darien High School in 1986"

The only interesting part of that is that hey graduated high school. He couldn't do that with college.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Many states do not fund their park systems via general tax revenue to extent WI does.
Someone's agenda driven, melodramatic blog is not fact.

To your other point: Where has Education been damaged by the relatively modest restructuring?

Your continued false assumption is that tax revenue MUST be always used in the same manner.
Your default position is that "tax support" = "good."
That is a false premise.

We've already seen damage to the education system. I pointed to problems UW has had with recruitment due to the budget cuts and uncertainty. Specific examples of recruitment where we lost out due to it, which damages the institution and the mission.

I never assumed everything. And yes, tax support of public goods and infrastructure is a good thing. Can you show me a case where public goods and infrastructure in Wisconsin has been improved by eliminating tax support as Walker is proposing?

Old 05-09-2015, 10:25 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Many states do not fund their park systems via general tax revenue to extent WI does.
Someone's agenda driven, melodramatic blog is not fact.
The only thing agenda-driven is the GOP's assumption that state parks exist primarily to be "used" for sporting and adventure purposes. Public green space benefits everyone, even (and especially) when we're not jet-skiing and ziplining our way through it. The trees, plants, animals, waterways and other natural features of our parks have environmental and ecological value apart from the direct, utilitarian interests of humans.

If the parks are passed off to a market-based system dependent on user fees, this could lead to the closure and sale of properties that do not generate sufficient user fee revenue. Would the current administration jump at the chance to privatize or sell off public lands? Quite possibly. The current head of the DNR comes from a family involved in construction, and I'm sure many others would love to get their hands on some of that land.

The state parks belong to all Wisconsinites and have a role in the state (and in the nation and world) that goes beyond camping, hiking, and other human activities. These are places for native plants and wildflowers, migratory and breeding birds, mammals and other creatures, unique geological formations. The taxpayers of the state should resist handing the parks over to "survival of the fittest" market-driven competition. In this case, the "conservatives" would do well to contemplate the meaning and importance of conserving the state's natural heritage.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
The only thing agenda-driven is the GOP's assumption that state parks exist primarily to be "used" for sporting and adventure purposes. Public green space benefits everyone, even (and especially) when we're not jet-skiing and ziplining our way through it. The trees, plants, animals, waterways and other natural features of our parks have environmental and ecological value apart from the direct, utilitarian interests of humans.

True. And actually, who would these fees hit the hardest? The working class family in the state. The family with a couple of kids that can't afford fancy trips, etc, but can afford from time to time a trip to a campground. The working class people that an extra $10 a day on a campsite, or whatever, would make a real impact.

It's funny how the people most negatively impacted by Walker have been duped into supporting him by the now classic divide and conquer techniques of the right wing. "Hey, I don't have that benefit at my (underpaid job), why should they?!? Take it away from them!" when it used to be "I don't have that, I work hard, I deserve that benefit as well!".

The destruction of labor is near complete and will have to start from scratch all over again, but how bad will conditions have to get for that to occur?

Old 05-15-2015, 05:35 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's funny how the people most negatively impacted by Walker have been duped into supporting him by the now classic divide and conquer techniques of the right wing. "Hey, I don't have that benefit at my (underpaid job), why should they?!? Take it away from them!" when it used to be "I don't have that, I work hard, I deserve that benefit as well!".
Well said. That is exactly the sort of attitude that has sadly become so pervasive in Wisconsin since Walker was first elected.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:34 PM

361 posts, read 861,911 times
One of the real negatives that my wife and I have noticed is that of all the supposed tax cuts Walker has made, we have not seen any meaningful tax breaks for our family. My wife and I combined do make a $100k per year so middle class incomes. At best our family can say our income and property taxes have stayed level, but no reduction. If his current proposed budget was to pass I think we would see sharp tax increases in both 2 and 4 years; since he is hoping to be president, I think he could care less what happens in WI at that point.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:59 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1 View Post
One of the real negatives that my wife and I have noticed is that of all the supposed tax cuts Walker has made, we have not seen any meaningful tax breaks for our family. My wife and I combined do make a $100k per year so middle class incomes. At best our family can say our income and property taxes have stayed level, but no reduction. If his current proposed budget was to pass I think we would see sharp tax increases in both 2 and 4 years; since he is hoping to be president, I think he could care less what happens in WI at that point.
What? You and your wife didn't enjoy that pizza you were able to pay for with his last tax break? I know I'm looking forward to buying a couple gallons of gas with the upcoming $5.00 tax break!

Old 05-16-2015, 01:21 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1 View Post

I owned several homes in WI from mid 80's through mid 2000's. These were dark days when usually democrats controlled Madison. It can be stated that "in general" property taxes in those 20 yrs. increased 300- 400%.

To be able to say, in a state that historically loves to spend OPM like WI, that your taxes are not increasing is QUITE AN ACCOMPLISHMENT.

The fact that he has higher political aspirations is a moot point isn't it? Do you think the same of all other political folks of either party who move to new jobs, public or private?

It would seem to me that many of you would like to see him move on to some other gig. You don't like him as gov. So what is it? Do you want him to stay or do you want him to go?

Old 05-16-2015, 01:29 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

The destruction of labor is near complete and will have to start from scratch all over again, but how bad will conditions have to get for that to occur?
Such melodrama.

I don't think the majority of people in this country begrudge others of their EARNED due.

This is the continued false premise of the left. Makes sense though as they have no logic to argue. They default to bizarre, emotion based statements.

I have never heard anyone state that teachers or public worker,s by just holding the position, are overpaid.

What is clear is that people expect accountability and real dialogue allowing for honest and good decision making. Public unions make this difficult.

Public Unions are a bad idea. This acknowledgement is becoming more known, not just in WI but across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin