U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 01:38 PM

141 posts, read 354,366 times

Advertisements

How isolated do you want to get? I'm excited to be moving to Madison, WI - I need the intellectual stimulation of city life and love how Madison has that without the density of a larger city like the Twin Cities in MN.

That said, I've developed a fondness for far northern WI / the UP of MI. I joke with my boyfriend I'd go nuts and be sitting in a shed with a shotgun within months if we lived where his family lives (Kingsford, MI / Iron Mountain, MI / Aurora, WI), as much as I enjoy going up to visit them, due to the isolation there and lack of much to do other than drink and snowmobile / hunt / kayak / ski / tube. Perfect for some folks but I need a rock show and a museum lecture too every now and then. It's beautiful with tons of different outdoor activities year-round. Different idea of cold up there than in the UK (UK is at a higher latitude but gets the moderating effect of the Atlantic; there's a reason there's a lot of folks with Scandinavian heritage in northern WI / MN / MI).

I haven't personally been there yet, but I've heard a lot of good things about Marquette in the UP (MI) and can't wait to visit. Small, hip college town surrounded by natural beauty with cutting edge breweries and tons of outdoors activities but also with intellectual stimulation (college campus and museum). Super cold and snowy though.

Duluth, MN and Superior, WI are interesting spots too, but with some urban decay, despondency, and economic issues that I imagine would weigh on the psyche if living there (for whatever reason, Superior is worse off than Duluth, in theory due to the different politics of their home states but I suspect there's more to it than that). Again, though - awesome breweries and outdoor scenes, some culture too. Duluth has some mind-blowing vistas and a lot of its residences are at a higher elevation than downtown to breathtaking effect. Not sure if Superior has the same, seem to recall the parts I passed through were all at a lower elevation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 01:15 PM

1,143 posts, read 3,293,215 times
You might also want to consider Wausau, WI.
It's big enough to have all the major services you would need (good hospitals, shopping, restaurants, YMCA) but also small enough to have a bit of a rural, hometown feel.
It can be dull and that's okay for me too. But if you enjoying skiing, Granite Peak is great. There are rapids for kayaking, trails for hiking or snowmobiling, parks, curling facilities, ice skating, etc). Wausau has the most spectacular Autumn season I have ever experienced in my life. Truly a site to see.
~K~
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin