Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 10:45 PM

3 posts, read 2,580 times

Advertisements

Well I have lived in Wisconsin my entire life. Honestly I would love to live somewhere different (Wyoming, Maine, etc.). My wife is really close to her family though and would probably hate moving across the country and never seeing her family. So I want to live in or around Wisconsin. I guess the reason I dislike Wisconsin because I live sort of by Madison. I'm surrounded by corn fields, cookie cutter houses, flat lands, sedimentary life style, large cities, etc. Basically everything I don't like. I want to live in a place full of woods, nature, hills, lakes and activities. I love everything outdoors from dirt biking, bmx, canoeing, etc. I want to live on the outskirts of a small liberal community. I, like anyone else, enjoy a place with good culture and food though. I know this is a lot for one area but I would really appreciate any personal input. I just am so sick of the area that I live in right now and want to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 06:23 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,359 times
Um...there are plenty of places with woods, lakes, and hills that aren't that far from Madison. I really am not sure where to point you though if you dislike Madison that much.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 2,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Um...there are plenty of places with woods, lakes, and hills that aren't that far from Madison. I really am not sure where to point you though if you dislike Madison that much.
I think I wan't to live more up north but If you have an city in mind I would still love to hear it. I don't dislike the Madison area that much, it's just not really my first choice as to where I want to live. I have been all around the area and it's not my kind of place. Maybe I missed a city though..

Old 01-04-2015, 05:14 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
Washburn/Bayfield/Ashland area. Northland College has created a liberal circle of area around it (with plenty of blue-collared conservatives to even it out nicely), and brings in speakers, performers, programs, etc. They just expanded the co-op in Ashland and it looks like it is huge and beautiful. Not a huge amount of restaurants, but a couple great ones. An hour to Duluth for more shopping and eating options. And of course, you have the northwoods surrounding you, Lake Superior at your feet, several cross country ski races in the area, downhill skiing options an hour to the east. Add in that housing prices are ridiculously cheap compared to Madison.

Really, I love the Chequamegon Peninsula. I think it is highly underrated, but maybe that's a good thing.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:44 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Just west of Madison is one of the best places in the Midwest for nature (Driftless). I would have suggested Viroqua as spot-on what you say you're looking for. The Driftless is a "blue" voting region, unlike the northwoods.

But if you're sold on up north, well, that's the top 1/3 of the state, so you might want to narrow that down a bit. The issue there is there are really no "liberal" towns in the northwoods. There are fairly liberal college towns like Stevens Point just south of the northwoods (and there are tons of woodsy activities all around Point) that might work. Or moneyed vacation cities like Hayward, or Minocqua, or Eagle River or maybe even Bayfield? You could also try Door County, but with many of these places you will definitely run into problems finding a job or affording a good spot to live even with a decent job. Waupaca/Wautoma region might also be another, closer option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin