U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 05:45 PM

5 posts, read 14,425 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am considering relocating to St. Croix Falls (from Detroit). Does anyone have any opinions or any information about the area they would kindly share? I would be working at St. Croix Falls Regional Medical Center. Any info on the hospital would also be greatly appreciated. I know absolutely nothing about the area. Thank you again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 01:41 AM

135 posts, read 575,394 times
From Detroit to St Croix Falls...... huh? St Croix Falls is going to seem like a bucolic backwater.
Kind of far flung from the metropolitan Twin Cities, SCF doesn't have much of an economy of its own. A large percentage of the population commutes to the twin cities area for good jobs. This in turn contributes to the tax base since these people are most likely to buy hobby farms, horse farms-- which are many up there, and acreage lots.

This area will more than likely experience some growth when the twin cities economy picks up again.

Geologically known as the Coulee Region or the Driftless Zone (look it up on Wikipedia) St Croix Falls is the starting point of this natural wonder. Very pretty.

Make it a point to kayak or canoe the St Croix River on a cool summer afternoon. You can rent them on either side of Interstate State Park. Although, I think you can only rent canoes on the Wisconsin side.
Good Luck,
disneyrecords

Old 01-10-2008, 07:39 PM

255 posts, read 1,141,730 times
When we were living in the north of Wisconsin my husband and I spent a weekend at St. Croix Falls. We stayed at a really sweet motel/hotel, ate out at some really lovely restaurants and took a trip up the river. Because of its proximity to Minnepolis/St. Paul I wouldn't mind living there. I hope that someone who lives close and who can give you some up-to-date info will respond. Don't forget to look on this website too.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,879 times
well i live in St.Croix Falls and i love it here its soo much funn and has a lot of things to do u could go up town were the movies, resterants, Wal*Mart, and some grocrie places are! or you could go down town if u like to read there is a libraryand shops. the hospital had been rebuilt and his really nice there ive been there time to time! well i hope you like it like i do!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,035 times
I am a local to Saint Croix Falls. I much prefer the historic Downtown to the hill but, they are so different that they each meet separate needs. Saint Croix Falls(downtown) has been labeled an Artist Community. We boast of many Artist in the area. They even have a Ceramic Studio! There is also a artisan who works in primitive Barn Wood that is amazing. Come check it all out we would love to have you!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:39 PM

437 posts, read 724,230 times
I live about an hour NE of there and drive thru often on my way to MPLS. St. Croix Falls is an ok place but if you are used to big city living it's going to be culture shock for sure. It is a beautiful area along the river but then it goes to mostly flat farm land and not too interesting. Across the river is Taylor's Fall and I like it better there than St. Croix Falls, JMHO. The plus is, if you like city life, MPLS/St. Paul isn't that far away, and then there is Stillwater, MN which is a nice place full of art galleries, boutiques, antique shops and eateries.

I haven't seen much for "artist community" in St. Croix Falls at all. I've gone into the downtown arean a number of times the last couple years and didn't see anything. Of course, I'm used to art galleries from the PNW and Alaska. There isn't much around here that compares to there with the exception fo the couple of galleries in Stillwater and I'm sure there are some in MPLS. As an artist myself, I always am searching out different venues.

If you are into water sports, i.e. fishing, swimming, boating/canoeing, then this is a good area. Winter there is skiing, snowshoeing and snow-machining. Duluth/Lake superior is just to the north a few hours. A drive along the north shore can't be beat.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:40 PM

437 posts, read 724,230 times
Hmm, that was a waste of a post since this thread is first dated 3 years ago. Not sure why somone would bring it back up now....

Old 01-15-2011, 02:54 PM

42,661 posts, read 80,317,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akravenlady View Post
Hmm, that was a waste of a post since this thread is first dated 3 years ago. Not sure why somone would bring it back up now....
Because there are a lot of new people who might be interested in the town. The mods don't like it when people keep starting new posts about every town. The info can be more comprehensive if it can piggy-back on an old thread.

In fact, I looked myself, because I saw the title, and I know a woman who just moved to the St. Croix area, and I wanted to see what others have to say about it. Her daughter goes to SCF schools, and really likes her school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin