U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 09:44 PM

8,158 posts, read 20,736,348 times

Advertisements

EEK! - Critter Corner - Snakes!!

Did you know that there are as many as 21 kinds of snakes in Wisconsin? Wow, that's a lot! Only two of these snakes are venomous, the timber rattlesnake and the eastern massasauga (mas-a-sa-gwa) rattlesnake. They are found only in specific habitats in the the southwestern part of the state. A few of Wisconsin's snakes are endangered including: the massasauga rattlesnake, queen snake, western ribbon snake and the northern ribbon snake. Some snakes are the "protected wild animal" category which means that it is illegal to hunt or possess them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 10:00 PM

I had no idea we had that many snakes or that we had venomous snakes here.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:34 AM

95 posts, read 172,330 times
I grew up in the Driftless Region and we stumbled across a timber rattler twice when I was a kid on the bluff behind our house; it was perfect rattlesnake habitat, dry open juniper and oak forest with sandstone cliffs. That was back in the 1980's, hadn't seen any since. Never did see a massasauga, but those are super rare.

My list of favorite nature areas in Wisconsin:
1.Baraboo Hills Nature Conservancy Preserves: as much as I absolutely love Devil's Lake, I've always preferred the western half of the Bluffs, not nearly so crowded in the Nature Conservancy Preserves in this section (Baxter's Hollow, Hemlock Draw, Honey Creek Preserve, Pine Hollow). The only thing is none of these preserves have an extensive trail system if you like to hike more than a few miles, but you could always go off trail if you're comfortable with that or just combine visits to more than one spot in a day.
2.Wildcat Mountain: I think the Kickapoo Valley is the prettiest valley in the entire driftless region. This state park and the adjacent Kickapoo Valley Reserve together have about 12,000 acres to explore.
3.Lower Wisconsin State Riverway - all 92 miles. Endless sandbars, islands, and bluffs. There is some good hiking along the river and up on the bluffs, but to really get a feel for it you need to canoe it. The upper reaches can be a bit of a party scene on nice weekends since it's so close to Madison, but the further down you go the quieter it gets.
4.Upper Mississippi- the entire length is beautiful. My two favorite spots are probably Wyalusing State Park where the Wisconsin River flows into the Mississippi, and Goose Island County Park by La Crosse. There's a marked canoe trail through the backwaters around the island, I forget how long it is but it takes a few hours to do the whole thing, though you can take much longer to really enjoy it.
5.Northern Highland State Forest - I forget how many lakes are here, but there are tons in this forest just south of the UP border, and if you time it right the maples are absolutely stunning in the fall. Classic northwoods scenery and wildlife.
6.Apostle Islands - my favorite spot on Lake Superior.
7.Pattison State Park and Amnicon Falls State Park – These are two different spots but I included them together since they’re so close to eachother. Great northwoods scenery with amazing waterfalls just south of Superior.
8.Necedah National Wildlife Refuge - I don't think this is quite as scenic as some of the spots I've mentioned already (it's in the flatlands of Central Wisconsin), but if you like waterfowl and cranes (including whooping) it's a great spot to go. There are other rare animals that you probably won't see like wolves and massasaugas. It gives you a good taste of the Great Central Wisconsin Swamp. A cool place to check out.
9.Horicon Marsh - another place not quite as scenic, in my opinion, as some others (it's a really big cattail marsh), this preserve in southeastern Wisconsin is another great place for birds. Definitely worth checking out.
10.Kettle Moraine State Forest- Great place to check out glacial scenery. There’s a north unit and south unit. I don’t think I’ve ever hiked the northern unit, but have explored much of the southern forest on foot and cross country skis. Parts of the southern unit can get pretty crowded since it’s so close to Milwaukee, Madison, and Chicago, but if you stay away from the mountain bike trails it’s a lot more peaceful. It’s fantastic to have a sizeable forest preserve like this in such a rapidly developing part of the state.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:51 AM

289 posts, read 412,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean33 View Post
9.Horicon Marsh - another place not quite as scenic, in my opinion, as some others (it's a really big cattail marsh), this preserve in southeastern Wisconsin is another great place for birds. Definitely worth checking out.
Not the most scenic view, but there's lots of wildlife, if you're into that sort of thing. There's actually a lot more wildlife just prancing around than you'd think. We went there for a field trip once. Never knew there were so many varieties of frogs.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:08 PM

Any where else? did we get everything? how about best campgrounds or best off trail camping?

Old 06-30-2015, 04:12 PM

7,435 posts, read 5,365,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Any where else? did we get everything? how about best campgrounds or best off trail camping?
I think you'll find that a lot of people who know where the most beautiful spots are won't tell you anything at all about them. I know I sure won't. Most of the places I really love the most are beautiful and special to me simply because they are not crowded - the last thing in the world I want to do is post about them on the internet.

Sorry, no offense, but... it's kind of like asking a fisherman where his favorite fishing hole is.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:27 AM

128 posts, read 222,660 times
All of Door County is fantastic as others have mentioned, but I want to mention specifically Washington Island. It takes some appreciation but it is simply beautiful. There's a stone beach and a lovely nature path that leads to my favourite lookout tower in Wisconsin. Washington Island is a well kept secret as I don't remember there honestly being that many tourists there when I went, even though it is connected to one of the Midwest's largest tourism hubs (Door County between Sturgeon Bay and Washington Island).

Old 07-21-2015, 12:53 PM

233 posts, read 225,211 times
Wyalusing State Park, including Prairie du Chien. Great scenery, hiking and activities in that area.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:57 PM

These 10 Camping Spots In Wisconsin Are Absolutely Perfect

Old 07-28-2015, 07:48 PM

6,007 posts, read 3,807,330 times
I was recently in Castle Rock Lake area in Central WI in Adams and Juneau Counties. We took a trip to the dam and it's really pretty over there. Lots of places to explore. The area by the dam itself is pretty nice for floating around or boating. There were a couple smallish sandy beaches. And there appeared to be quite a few hiking trails, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin