U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 08:17 PM

279 posts, read 682,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I thought I would bump this thread since we are in the heart of camping season. Is there anymore suggestions?

We just got back from what seems to be annual trip to The Black Hills, SD. This year we thought instead of traveling out state let's focus on Wisconsin. We have only been to 3 camp grounds in the state; Wildcat Mountain, Pinewoods(Ottawa) which is basically camping in the Milwaukee suburbs and Newport State Park(backpack camping).

So the plan this year is Copper Falls, Amnicon Falls, Kohler Andre, Devils lake.

Found this little list of best camping in Wisconsin however it seems to be weighted toward the more popular parks.

Top 100 Wisconsin Campgrounds || Best Places to Camp in Wisconsin || Tripleblaze.com Camping & Hiking
I like the boulder junction area for camping. You are just outside the super crowded areas near the minocqua chain, and there are some campgrounds you can only reach by canoe.

If you want to escape and splurge for a good dinner somewhere, you can do that too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 04:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,031,569 times
I don't think the beauty of Wisc. is in one particular place or one particular time of day or year. When the sun is out after new snow, as the sun rises or sets over Lake Mich or any other lake, or just driving down a road surrounded by trees. You get pretty un-picky after you live in someplace like west Texas for an extended period of time.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:06 AM

6,007 posts, read 3,827,861 times
I spent the day at Kohler-Andrae State Park yesterday. Have not been there in ages. It's so beautiful. It has an almost oceanic feel since Lake Michigan is large... there are nice sandy beaches and trails to explore. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, dozens of dragonflies were buzzing everywhere. I definitely would recommend visiting! The cost was $8 for a day pass. Totally worth it.

PS. there were quite a few open campsites in the campgrounds, surprisingly. They're pretty decently spaced out, as well. You're not right on top your camping neighbors.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:06 PM

905 posts, read 596,347 times
Best camping in WI for me has been Rock Island, Peninsula State Park and Wyalusing State Park (get the bluff top spots overlooking the Mississippi River).

Old 08-02-2016, 11:48 PM

3,668 posts, read 5,249,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I don't think the beauty of Wisc. is in one particular place or one particular time of day or year. When the sun is out after new snow, as the sun rises or sets over Lake Mich or any other lake, or just driving down a road surrounded by trees. You get pretty un-picky after you live in someplace like west Texas for an extended period of time.
Or North Texas. What we would give to be back in the beautiful Lake Geneva area.....

Old 08-16-2016, 09:05 PM

4,448 posts, read 2,670,920 times
I just spent a week at Trump Lake in Wabeno and their lake and the nature is beautiful.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:20 AM

38,727 posts, read 29,251,575 times
I like the driftless in general, the the Mississippi and Wisconsin River bluffs in particular.

Another place I like but get to very rarely is the shoreline of Lake Superior, esp the ridge and swale areas

Old 08-20-2016, 06:44 AM

5 posts, read 4,009 times
Several times out to northern Maine for genealogy with sisters & mother. Now I know why my great-great grandparents relocated to Wisconsin. Topography is so very similar--both states are beautiful--northern Wisconsin & Maine especially.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:52 AM

Sylvania area in North Eastern Wisconsin is also an area only reached by kayak or canoe; some islands take some portaging--limit to bare necessities and take fishing poles! Camp on an island, alone! We hit the whole of Northern Wisconsin traveling from State Park to State Park (Port Wing to Ashland, going down east and west, too. Look around Mountain, Wisconsin, for some wonderful State Parks with extremely low tourists. Got to find the out of the way State Parks. They have showers and restroom facilities. Campsites are gorgeous and quite separate from each other. Seems like camping alone. They have showers and restroom facilities. Campsites are gorgeous and quite separate from each other. These State Parks seem like you're camping alone (not as camping on an island, though). Beautiful (clean) lakes, too! We call Minoqua little Illinois--and it's getting bigger and bigger each year. Hard to find the local residents unless they have the tourists shops, etc.

Last edited by justcarolmerrill; 08-20-2016 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: Grammatic mistakes

Old 08-20-2016, 06:56 AM

What happened to the posting regarding tib and fib offset bones with rebreaking and healing? That's why I jumped over to this extension of the original postings (since it is no more). Looks like April 2016 was the last related posting on that site. Really need information on this subject. Anyone out there feeling the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin