Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 04:24 PM

223 posts, read 391,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Then you have a small city like GB where people aren't used to outsiders, so they may appear to be giving you the cold shoulder or be standoffish. But this happens in most small cities.
If you call yourself a city, then you ought to accept that learning how to navigate cultural differences is part of urban living.

This is why Green Bay pretty much fails as a city. It may have slightly over 100,000 residents, but its mentality is akin to a town a fraction of its size... particularly amongst the older crowd, which disproportionately influences the culture there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:51 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Interesting and I've never noticed any issues with Green Bay, Appleton, anywhere in Wisconsin really. I've lived here 7 yrs., going on 8 and never had problems.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:01 PM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
The one thing I have noticed is that several times over the past year I have had the experience where someone from Green Bay kind of acts like they think I'm a hick because I live in a much smaller town. I think it's hilarious because I've only lived in this small town for a year, before that I lived in Minneapolis for over 35 years so I know a big city when I see one and Green Bay ain't it.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:36 PM

365 posts, read 779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Interesting and I've never noticed any issues with Green Bay, Appleton, anywhere in Wisconsin really. I've lived here 7 yrs., going on 8 and never had problems.
That's because you're a straight shooter. The people that are running around making generalizations about people in one town or another should keep in mind you reap what you sow.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:29 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
This is interesting. I'm one of Green Bay's biggest critics - absolutely hate the place - but I don't think I ever felt the people there were rude. I guess I can understand how some people might, because it's got a really "small town" personality, and that could come across as rude to some folks, but I never took it that way. The people I met there always seemed pretty friendly, except a former Packer quarterback I won't name - I never met anyone so full of himself. But most folks there seemed really decent, as I recall.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:41 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
The people I met there always seemed pretty friendly, except a former Packer quarterback I won't name - I never met anyone so full of himself.
Favre?

Old 04-27-2015, 02:11 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
I spent most of my life in a Canadian city approximately the size of Green Bay. I have been to Green Bay four times to see the Packers play and every time I found the people very friendly. Once we shared a cab to a tailgate party with some Philly fans who also stated they couldn't get over how friendly the residents of Green Bay are.

I don' t know why you are having a problem fitting in, but I wouldn't recommend ever coming to Toronto or NYC if you find the people of Green Bay unfriendly. It is one of the friendliest places I have ever been outside of Newfoundland and Florida's Space Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
If you call yourself a city, then you ought to accept that learning how to navigate cultural differences is part of urban living.
The term "city" is generally used to refer to a community of over 100,000 people. It has absolutely nothing to do with the attitudes, politics and perceived "cultural differences" of the people that live there.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:11 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
The term "city" is generally used to refer to a community of over 100,000 people. It has absolutely nothing to do with the attitudes, politics and perceived "cultural differences" of the people that live there.

Maybe that is a Canadian thing, but a city is called such based on its form of government and charter. It can be a city at 20k, or a town at 200k.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:37 PM

223 posts, read 391,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Colloquially, it has everything to do with these things.

I'll co-sign to the comment that I haven't noticed Green Bay people being particularly more rude than anywhere else I've been. Though on my latest trip to Green Bay last week, I did notice that a lot of locals tend to speak entirely in "no sh~t sherlock" soundbites, which I can see as coming off as rude.

It's a shame, because Green Bay's potential far exceeds the "where country people come to buy stuff... oh, and there's where they play football" role the town seems to have resigned itself to.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,019 times
Default Yes!!!!

A family vacation came to mind today and I find it humorous that when I searched rude and Green Bay this came up! Same experience here. My dad, mother, two younger sibling and myself had the misfortune of planning a family fishing vacation there. I was 17, my sister was 15 at the time and my younger brother was 13, so not a reason I could imagine picking a family to be rude to. When we left the lake rental home to eat, we went into the town at the first restaurant, there was a dock next to it and 2 blond 9 or 10 year olds sharing a joint on a boat, that's the first thing we see @ 1 pm in the day. Then, we enter the restaurant, there were about 10 people dining and talking in front, we sat ourselves at a booth on the side, waited about 5 minutes and no one came. So we got up to look around the corner, my dad said hello about 3 times and tried asking for a waiter. Just a couple feet away and they were ignoring him. They preceded to talk amongst themselves, we stood there confused, like it felt like the twilight zone, my dad said louder, "excuse me".... Nothing. This lasted for about 3 minutes. Finally, one lady looked up at us and said they were closed.. All of the other 9 people looked away and said not one word, just got silent- creepy. What harm would it have done them to say something like that when we walked in, right in plain view and before we sat patiently waiting and super hungry?? Then, we left, walked out, then a tall grown man walks quickly in front of me, practically bumping into me, then gets into his white pick up truck and reverses while we are passing behind him. Yes, he saw us. I live in atlanta now, from Chicago and NEVER in any big city has anyone tried flooring a truck in reverse while I am passing and I have never been ignored or seen a restaurant turn away business. Not Christian at all from what I could see there. The sad thing is, me and my family are part white and Native American, our ancestors were from that area. But atleast we were able to fish, all of our eating and other recreational time was spent and hour drive away. There are obviously some miserable people to behave that way. I would like to say the lady who rented us the house was very sweet and helpful. There are plenty of fish in much more upscale places I do not recommend a vacation there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin