Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 03:36 AM

260 posts, read 218,138 times

Advertisements

I don't buy the or believe the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 03:39 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachlooter View Post
I live in Madison which is a progressive city. However, I signed up for my Driver's license exam in Darlington and when I went into a Mcdonalds there, people stared at me like they had never seen a minority before. I'm an Asian person btw. Are small towns in Wisconsin all like this?
That may not be racism at all. People in small towns just stare at strangers. When I first moved to a small town and was walking my dogs, all the neighbors started at me. It felt funny. And by the way, I am the same race as they are.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:52 AM

75 posts, read 89,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachlooter View Post
I live in Madison which is a progressive city. However, I signed up for my Driver's license exam in Darlington and when I went into a Mcdonalds there, people stared at me like they had never seen a minority before. I'm an Asian person btw. Are small towns in Wisconsin all like this?
In small towns people are prone to stare at you, this is simply because you're a foreign face, you can be white and if you're an out of towner they will look at you as well.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:23 PM

260 posts, read 218,138 times
Why would someone in Madison go all the way to Darlington for their license? Don't buy the story.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:34 PM

223 posts, read 391,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
That may not be racism at all. People in small towns just stare at strangers. When I first moved to a small town and was walking my dogs, all the neighbors started at me. It felt funny. And by the way, I am the same race as they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudio-claudio View Post
In small towns people are prone to stare at you, this is simply because you're a foreign face, you can be white and if you're an out of towner they will look at you as well.
Still not sure why so many people think this is okay as long as it's not based on race. The things a mature adult would do in this situation would be:

A. Greet the newcomer in a friendly, non-confrontational manner.
B. Mind their own business and keep walking.

There usually comes a time when people learn that staring at strangers is rude. For most of us, that happened before age 12.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:07 PM

346 posts, read 463,650 times
Most people in most small towns are just socially awkward. It's just a fact of life.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:54 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,783,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt _farmer View Post
Most people in most small towns are just socially awkward. It's just a fact of life.
It's kind of true. It's not just in Wisconsin, that's for sure.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:25 PM

223 posts, read 391,436 times
I won't deny the social awkwardness, but I think the deeper issue is the lack of self awareness, and people's refusal to find proper ways to deal with their fear. Being afraid isn't an excuse for the anti-social behavior that so many comments on this thread are excusing and justifying.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
^^Yes, we got your point about 50 "Everything outside of Milwaukee and Madison sucks" posts ago.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:26 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
The only thing offensive about the entire experience is the OP's claim that it was racists looking at him.

Frankly, that's a pretty bigoted thing to say especially since captain international was gracing them with his sophisticated self all the way from *sniff* Madison.

I just keep getting a mental picture of squidward calling people idiots and harrumphing around about what a backwater the place was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin