Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 04:17 AM

12 posts, read 45,241 times

Advertisements

Let me break it down for you.

I'm a young female trying to get a more extensive college education but already have 6 years of customer service, 1 year in management and 2 years supervisory work under my belt. I am currently studying to be a graphics designer. I have already done some professional advertising for local companies here in Ventura, CA.

I want to work, study and live in the same place though I wouldn't mind making a considerable drive from work to home if I can't live and work in the same city. I want to live in a climate that is normally cold (rain, snow, whatever). I want to live near water (lake, river, ocean, whatever). I love the mountains and nature but still need my clubs, downtown, shopping and fun!

I am engaged! My fiance wants to earn the main income and I want to work part time while I send myself to school. He has a 5 year old daughter and wants to have her live with us (on weekends, holidays and summer) so I am aiming to make payments (rent/lease to own) on a 3 bedroom house, but for the beginning I'm down for a three bedroom apartment.

My fiance wants to at least get some response from Wisconsin residents that came from California or locals that just want us to know something special about their state. I'm looking at Madison.

Last edited by golfgal; 01-14-2008 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: ads not allowed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 09:18 AM

46 posts, read 130,046 times
Hello, kandjgalvez,

I have lived in Wisconsin my entire life (46 years). It sounds to me like you would absolutely enjoy living in Madison! It is a wonderful town. My brother and sister-in-law have lived in Madison for about 25 years now, and they just love it. There is so much to do in that place! There is always some kind of festival, activity, or event happening at the Capitol.

I live about 60 miles northeast of Madison, and my impression of the city is that it is a very upbeat, younger, green, big-city-with-small-town-appeal kind of place. And the bicycle trails! They are wonderful! And the lake shores...beautiful!

Of course you have the University of Wisconsin Madison extension there. I am not sure how their graphics design program ranks, but I am sure they will have something to offer you for continuing classes.

May I ask why you are looking to leave California?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:16 AM

12 posts, read 45,241 times
Thanks for your response sammbols3! I am looking to leave California because it is too hard for a young couple to make it out here without a college degree or a salaried job. Did I mention we were young? I feel that this state requires too much for the younger set. I mean, rent for a studio apartment usually starts at 800 when the person renting it usually makes no more than $11/hour. With utilities, food, car...it gets to a point where kids are pulling 2 jobs and school and suffering everyday for it. Mac n Cheeses for breakfast and Taco Bell for dinner. I just need a break from the stress of how expensive it is and I really want the time to go to school. I currently work 3 jobs and still have problems...give me a break! Thanks again for your response.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:01 AM

537 posts, read 1,936,329 times
I would also recommend the Madison area. It is a great area with a lot of things to do. We are about 2 hours north but we go down to Madison or Milwaukee about every 6 weeks to shop and eat. Madison has the best Farmers Market. Lake Monona is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin